What's new

Inherited Old Razors

Hello to all at B&B! I’m new here. I’m 55 and had to go online to teach myself to shave, wet shave, that is. After being brainwashed by the marketing department at Braun back in the late 80’s, I finally chucked the electrics when I inherited some DE razors from my father. I want to thank the members of this forum for helping me along the way.

Until recently, I’ve been merely a silent guest perambulating about the threads gleaning wisdom and technique from those posting here. But now I’ve signed up. I’ve attached a photo of my old razors and look forward to trying each whilst I peruse this forum and develop my technique and my growing appreciation for both the tools of the trade and the results of a “wet shave”!

Best Wishes to All,

Curly

P.S. I apologize for the low quality photo. I spent more time staging than I did focusing.
B16B0286-4479-4C0A-90A3-4017E649C12B.jpeg

Welcome! For a newcomer you have a lovely collection. Coming from your Dad makes them much more meaningful. Enjoy them, enjoy your shaves, & enjoy B & B.

Thank you! I’d give them all away just to have Dad back for a day, but I’m enjoying the gift and the experience of DE shavers I’ve acquired. If I’d known 30 years ago what I know now, I’d never have purchased an electric razor and I’d not have an ex-wife. Bad decisions in both cases. Should have researched both topics more thoroughly.

That's a lovely collection - your father had excellent taste. I lost my father too soon, too, and I agree that there's a lot that I would give to have another day. Barring that, enjoy the razors and honor him each time you use one.

Welcome to B&B.

That's a lovely collection - your father had excellent taste. I lost my father too soon, too, and I agree that there's a lot that I would give to have another day. Barring that, enjoy the razors and honor him each time you use one.

Welcome to B&B.
Thank you. And, sorry for your loss. Dad’s are important. Sadly, often by the time we realize how important they are, it’s too late to discuss it with them.

Welcome!

And great collection! If you decide to gift or sell any of these items, PLEASE do your research. You have some very desirable (read VERY valuable) items there!
Thanks SharpieB! I’m learning about what I have from the discussions here. I keep researching here and realize at least toggles aren’t cheap. And I have some others I couldn’t fit in the photo. I had several that I considered “clunkers”, a couple of plastic-handled Shicks, a Gillette Techmatic, and an off-brand “Darwin”??? that I gave to Goodwill.

I also have a few that I’m not certain what they are, but given their origins, they aren’t for sale. I’m just enjoying each of them one at a time. Or not enjoying them if my technique sucks.

Thank you! I’m very happy to be a part of this “gentleman’s forum” as I learn about our shared passion of great shaves!

And, SharpieB…I was merely injecting some humor regarding donating the “Darwin” to Goodwill. I only learned about the Darwin razor by visiting here. 😁

And I take your advice to heart. Thank You!!! Upon my death, I would like to believe my current wife wouldn’t sell any of my razors without due diligence. But neither of us has a clue as to what we have besides the easily-identifiable Toggles, a few Fat Boys, and some Slims. Dad favored Gillette’s.

So I guess I should do some “due diligence” before I go. Otherwise they might all wind up at Goodwill!

Thank you again SharpieB for enlightening me to the dangers of underestimating what I have and the value my “collection”. I would like to engage you, and the rest of the knowledgeable crew here, with more photos to assist me in understanding what I have. As long as it’s not an imposition, or another trip down a road well-travelled that a newbie could research for himself without bothering y’all. Just point me in the right direction.

Most Sincerely,

Curly

Legion

Staff member
And, SharpieB…I was merely injecting some humor regarding donating the “Darwin” to Goodwill. I only learned about the Darwin razor by visiting here. 😁

And I take your advice to heart. Thank You!!! Upon my death, I would like to believe my current wife wouldn’t sell any of my razors without due diligence. But neither of us has a clue as to what we have besides the easily-identifiable Toggles, a few Fat Boys, and some Slims. Dad favored Gillette’s.

So I guess I should do some “due diligence” before I go. Otherwise they might all wind up at Goodwill!

Thank you again SharpieB for enlightening me to the dangers of underestimating what I have and the value my “collection”. I would like to engage you, and the rest of the knowledgeable crew here, with more photos to assist me in understanding what I have. As long as it’s not an imposition, or another trip down a road well-travelled that a newbie could research for himself without bothering y’all. Just point me in the right direction.

Most Sincerely,

Curly
When I kick the bucket I shudder to think what will happen to all my collectibles. By design, the wife has no idea about their value. Hopefully I’ll be around long enough that my kid might show an interest.

Wow, what a great collection your dad left you. One thing about donating to goodwill. I talked to a person that works at a near by goodwill and asked about shaving razors and he told me that they just toss them when they get them.

Top Bottom