What's new

Ingrowns on chin

Seeking some advice with ingrowns especially on my chin, been using a de for nearly a year and still getting

Using merkur 34c, omega boar brush and proraso red/Mitchell's wool fat.

Thanks in advance

Seeking some advice with ingrowns especially on my chin, been using a de for nearly a year and still getting

Thanks in advance
I'm still dealing with in growns mostly on my neck but so far I've found that reducing pressure to be very helpful. I've noticed that the less my alum block stings the less likely I am to get in grown hairs. Additionally, if I do not shave ATG, I've also don't really get in grown hairs either. Definitely still a topic that I'm learning about and working to fix.

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the board.

You've got some good kit there, can you tell us more about your preparation, technique, post shave etc as it may hold some clues as to your issue?

I will rephrase some key points from webmd: do not shave too close. Meaning do not press, always go WTG only. You might want to experiment with different lubrication methods or blades.

This plus making sure to shave everyday (so that the hairs are always short and less likely to be pulled) have eliminated ingrowns for me by like 95%.

I also started cold water shaving but am not sure how much that helped.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Thanks in advance
After you are done shaving about 4 -8 hrs or later(bed time) take your boar brush and gently brush the area you suspect to help lift the hairs out to change direction. Mantic 59 has some suggestions on ingrown hairs that I used and it helps when you get them.
Type in Mantic59 on google and it will take you to his site.

Hi and welcome to the board.

You've got some good kit there, can you tell us more about your preparation, technique, post shave etc as it may hold some clues as to your issue?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far,
Al Bundy - for prep I usually shower while soaking my brush, technique- well still learning and attempt to not apply to much pressure or go too fast, start with WTG, then XTG, only ATG on neck. Post- Allum, rinse, then nivea sensitive balm, or splash brut or old spice.

This plus making sure to shave everyday (so that the hairs are always short and less likely to be pulled) have eliminated ingrowns for me by like 95%.

I also started cold water shaving but am not sure how much that helped.

Started out everyday, but found that I needed to give my face time to heal, picking at ingrowns is also a problem, Have been lazy on this one. Will get back to daily shaves soon

After you are done shaving about 4 -8 hrs or later(bed time) take your boar brush and gently brush the area you suspect to help lift the hairs out to change direction. Mantic 59 has some suggestions on ingrown hairs that I used and it helps when you get them.
Type in Mantic59 on google and it will take you to his site.
Thanks Ron R, use the toothbrush method from mantic, but will give the boar a go and see if that may be better. Cheers

I've not tried the brush method but I definitely agree some form of gentle exfoliation could help, whether chemical or mechanical.
Also perhaps a good moisturising face wash prior to shaving.
It's often said that shaving too close can lead to ingrowns. With DE shaving you can only cut as close as the surface of the skin where the hair protrudes (unlike cartridges which claim to cut below the surface) so when this happens it is my theory (and nothing more I should stress) that it's caused by damage to the skin which then heals over the follicle.
As your technique improves the odds are that you'll get closer shaves, less skin damage and fewer ingrown hairs almost by default - all the more reason not to chase BBS

I've not tried the brush method but I definitely agree some form of gentle exfoliation could help, whether chemical or mechanical.
Also perhaps a good moisturising face wash prior to shaving.
It's often said that shaving too close can lead to ingrowns. With DE shaving you can only cut as close as the surface of the skin where the hair protrudes (unlike cartridges which claim to cut below the surface) so when this happens it is my theory (and nothing more I should stress) that it's caused by damage to the skin which then heals over the follicle.
As your technique improves the odds are that you'll get closer shaves, less skin damage and fewer ingrown hairs almost by default - all the more reason not to chase BBS

Will have get started using an exfoliating face wash. Trying not to pick them is the difficult one. Looks like I've been using too much pressure aswell, mostly used cartridges in the past, cheers for the help, will definitely focus on prep and technique

If you want to try out chemical exfoliation, then search for any of the following ingredients: salicylic acid, lactic acid, glycolic acid, mandelic acid. Also apply before, not after your shave.

Top Bottom