What's new

Ingrown Hairs and Aspirin

So, I am sitting here with aspirin paste covering a couple ingrown hairs, but can someone explain to me the science on how this relieves them? Also, how long should I leave the paste sit?

Thank you!

Pain reducer <-- this keeps you from scratching and picking at them
Anti-inflamatory <-- this is the magic

I've always found that a decent exfoliation a couple times a day seemed to help more than anything on the rare occasion I'd get some ingrowns.

Salicylic acid is a keratolytic-it softens skin cells and helps shedding of the upper layers of skin. This is helps unroof the ingrown hair allowing it to grow out. It does have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the surrounding inflammation and this also allows the hair to come out. In continued use it can actually eat away the ingrown hair but this can result in local skin injury. Aspirin is acetyl-salicylic acid.

Salicylic acid is a keratolytic-it softens skin cells and helps shedding of the upper layers of skin. This is helps unroof the ingrown hair allowing it to grow out. It does have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the surrounding inflammation and this also allows the hair to come out. In continued use it can actually eat away the ingrown hair but this can result in local skin injury. Aspirin is acetyl-salicylic acid.

Thank You! Very interesting actually, so would 5 minutes wait be a decent length of time to leave it sit?

Last edited:
When used on corns and calluses it is actually used under a bandage and worn for a long time. I wouldn't do this on your face. I think trying 5'' first would be reasonable but watch carefully and stop if any redness or pain, etc. Be sure no allergies to ASA also.

KERAT/O = Keratin (the hard outer coating on skin, hair, etc.)

-LYTIC = From "lysis" meaning to break apart, break down

I guess paying attention in Med. Terminology paid off! :biggrin1:

So if I understand correctly, Aspirin is a raspatalatosis
that erplipiates the topical skinnicus
and magicerizes the hair into flowericating...

Top Bottom