What's new

Ingrown hair?

Hi everyone,

I very recently started doing a multi pass shave with a Gillette 5 blade (fusion).

The shave feels amazing overall.

Is this appropriate? The biggest thing I’m worried about is ingrown hairs which it seems like I already have a few/ don’t know how to fix them

Any advice?

I used to get ingrown hairs requently, usually along my jawline and neck. I thought it was acne. I think the multiple blade cartridge I was using was cutting some hairs below the skin surface, causing the ingrowns.

When I switched to using a double edge razor this problem disappeared virtually overnight.

Hi everyone,

I very recently started doing a multi pass shave with a Gillette 5 blade (fusion).

The shave feels amazing overall.

Is this appropriate? The biggest thing I’m worried about is ingrown hairs which it seems like I already have a few/ don’t know how to fix them

Any advice?
Do you do anything pre or post shave?

Those multi blade systems like the fusion are infamous for snapping the hairs instead of cutting them, causing the follicles to get stuck under the skin.

If you like cartridges I’ll suggest trying something with less blades like the mach 3 or even the sensor, because having less blades the angle on them is a bit more aggressive and tend to cut the hairs better rather than the shallow angle on the fusion that tugs the hairs instead of slicing them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Those multi blade systems like the fusion are infamous for snapping the hairs instead of cutting them, causing the follicles to get stuck under the skin.

If you like cartridges I’ll suggest trying something with less blades like the mach 3 or even the sensor, because having less blades the angle on them is a bit more aggressive and tend to cut the hairs better rather than the shallow angle on the fusion that tugs the hairs instead of slicing them.
Thanks for the education my friend! I had no idea that this happened..... Perhaps this is why I loved the Sensor cartridges so much?

Multi pass shave wtih Fusion 5 is just too much, every pass is like 5 passes with DE blade, it is not good for ingrown hair
I had same problem untill I changed over to DE
Also, for time beeing don't shave, let the hair grow out of skin and let the skin heal

Multi pass shave wtih Fusion 5 is just too much, every pass is like 5 passes with DE blade, it is not good for ingrown hair
Also, for time beeing don't shave, let the hair grow out of skin and let the skin heal
Is this accurate? Would 3 blades be better if I wanted to continue using cartridges

How long would u recommend going without shaving?

How long would u recommend going without shaving?
Untill your hair grow out of skin and redness goes away, 3-7 days, depends on your hair and skin.
Also you can try shaving with cold water, it thightens the skin so it will be more durable
For shaving use less pases, one pass with 5 blades is more than enough, and go with the grain, not against

I would shave with the grain one pass daily or every other day until the ingrown hairs are gone.

Candidly, I can’t consider a 4-5 blade razor, the sensor is more than enough if you like cartridges.

The good ole' Bic orange and white single blade is the only disposable razor I can shave with that doesn't cause me problems. I use them when traveling because airport security doesn't seem to care about them in carry on, whereas DE safety razors trigger them every time.

Is this accurate? Would 3 blades be better if I wanted to continue using cartridges

Just keep in mind three points that have already been raised and you have your answers:

1. BigJ: ‘the mechanics of multi-blade carts are the likely culprit.’

2. @Angel: ‘suggest trying something with less blades like the mach 3 or even the sensor.’

3. Dobric: ‘Multi pass shave with Fusion 5 is just too much, every pass is like 5 passes with DE blade.’

And if you insist on using cartridges, you should not expect to get safety razor kind of shaves.
I have said it before and I say it again: ‘You can’t expect the taste of gourmet brewed coffee as long as you insist on using instant coffee, no matter what the commercials say.’

B.

Last edited:
I used to get ingrown hairs when I used an electric razor.
Not a lot, but sometimes.

After I stopped using electric razors, I never got another ingrown hair.

I either used single edge disposable razors,
or old vintage Gillette razors with disposable double edge blades.
or straight razors.

Reactions: KCD
Top Bottom