What's new

Ingrown hair.

Dear all,
I have been a wet shaver all my life and a DE & SE shaver for the last few years. Before that I used the dreaded cart ( Gillette Sensor ) and I have to admit in all the years of using carts, I never had an ingrown hair. Now I do get the occasional one always on the same spot, right on the left side if my chin, right besides the lower lip. Any thoughts why this happens? I have to say that I do attempt BBS even on these sensitive areas, same as in my cart days. I was under the impression, one reason for abandoning cart shaving is to avoid ingrowns.

It's not that I get it every time I try BBS or is it permanently there by any means, but I do think the BBS attempt has a lot to do with it. The question being, why didn't I get any ingrowns with the cart and please don't tell me to go back to cart shaving. I HATE IT.

I don't think carts offer as a close a shave. My guess is at that area, just do a single pass, maybe a second XTG but not one ATG.

Even though I don’t attempt to get a BBS shave I’m still prone to in-grown hair irritation although I’ve now managed to reduce the occurence by using alum and Thayers witch hazel after shaving.

If it still happens I put a dab of Medi Quattro on the irritated area. Medi Quattro is a cream available in Oz which is an Anaesthetic, Antiseptic, Anti-inflammatory and Moisturiser all in one cream. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes to work. I don’t know if something similar is available overseas and I wouldn’t recommend using a cortisone cream as prolonged use thins the skin and that would add to the problems.

I too would recommend not getting too close in that area. Also I bet a dowsing of witch hazel might help out. Hope everything works out!

Top Bottom