What's new

Ingrown Hair, How I dealt with mine.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been shaving for sometime with Cartridges, DE & SE razors. I don't recall ever getting a ingrown and it is a irritating experience to say the least. I ordered a tweezer kit that has not shown up yet and I wanted this painful hair out because it makes my shaves not very enjoyable at all. So I had some tools to find the little rascal, it is so small that even with good eye site would be a challenge for anyone if not impossible.
I have one of those USB microscopes 500X that are just amazing for hobbies of any kind, great for inspections or assemblies.
I went on line and there is limited information on how to treat ingrown hairs- I liked a few on Youtube videos(thanks Mantic 59 and a few others).
Some of the youtubes videos gave suggestions on how to use a soft tooth brush and gently scrub the affected area if a red lesion shows up to help the hair pop through the skin and use aspirin crushed adding some water to make paste to apply to the affected area to knock down swelling.
My ingrown was left to long for massaging it through the skin ( it already had curved and had entered back into the flesh.). The aspirin did work very well in a paste form, I used witch Hazel instead of straight water because it's better for the skin and does have some Alcohol to prevent infection with distilled water.
This is not a easy task because the target is maybe .003 thousands of a inch Diameter and orienting the needle with the USB microscope took a lot of practice. I also made a special needle modified to slip under that microscope plastic lens attachment that came with this particular model.
Ingrown hair 1 (2).jpg
This is the ingrown hair I found and you can see it had already curved and drove it self back into the flesh. I would of had to guessed were it was if I did not have the microscope. This is a small target and I tried guessing were it was from the pain afflicted area with different tweezers to try and grab it with out success. As you can see it is below the surface in a little trench of the skin.
tools and results (2).jpg
As you can see the hair is quite small, I placed a grain of table salt to show it. The needle that is my special tool that had to be twisted to get under the plastic attachment that came with the microscope with and the other angle was used for holding and manipulating the special needle. I found you have to heat the needle with a Bic lighter and use 2 needle nose pliers to heat & bend the needle ( the needle will just snap if you do not heat them when bending). The objective is to get under the hair and gently lift upwards out of its wrong directional path. They suggest when hair is freed to leave it and shave it next time, I did not and pulled the miserable thing out. Before prodding around I used alcohol swaps to sterilize the affected area and to clean the needle to prevent infection.
Andonstar USB microscope. (2).jpg
This is what my needle looks like with the Andonstar 500x magnification USB microscope( what you are looking at is around 300+ magnification is my guess) using my 15 inch laptop. I really like this little Microscope and did some research before purchasing it. I put the box it came with in front of the screen if some one is interested.
Ingrown anti swelling tools (2).jpg
Two inexpensive products that are just a great combination in paste form and apply to the affected area. I usually just left paste on for 15 minutes until it was good and dry and washed off with water. It does help for revealing swelling when used topically. (strongly recommend if no allergies to aspirin.)
1/2 to 1 pill is all I needed to make paste and I applied it with a Q-tip, used this treatment around 4 times until I go the little rascal out of my facial skin.
Conclusion it worked and it is amazing the next day how good I feel and my skin is almost back to normal. Hope this helps someone who is not sure how to correct the issue. Hospitals can be expensive for a doctor to remove a ingrown depending on were you live so you might be able to remove it your self!
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I usually use a pin from a new shirt or a sewing needle and dig the hair up close to where it started then pluck it out with tweezers.
That was my plan also, but this one was a bugger and I did not want to shear it accidentally and have it stuck in my flesh so I had the usb microscope I had already to see what was irritating myself. One thing led to another and Wow-la it is out and it is a trophy kind of a feeling IMO. :biggrin1:

Ron R

I have not had to deal with ingrown hairs but I was lucky enough to find 10 of these old needle tweezers made by Dovo for Barbers to deal with ingrown hairs.

I have 4 pair left after gifting the rest and they are the best damn thing for slivers and ingrown hairs (I would guess)

proxy.php
Looks like a good one, never seen tweezers with a point on it.
This is the kit I ordered and it looks like a good one and ratings seem good.
1582682328453.png

Have some great shaves!

Looks like a good one, never seen tweezers with a point on it.
This is the kit I ordered and it looks like a good one and ratings seem good.
View attachment 1067165
Have some great shaves!

Neither had I.
I have no idea why they stopped making such a thing. Needles and tweezer are made to go together.
Dig with one end to expose an end of the sliver/hair, flip and grab. There are serrations on the tweezers as well.
A fantastic product. The fact that they were made by Dovo is a plus!

Ron R

I forgot to add is the old saying "don't chase the BBS", if you are prone to skin issues buy a DE or SE that has a milder aggression and use less passes of the razor to reduce closeness. Also drinking some water first thing in the morning gets your skin hydrated quicker.(My shave always feels smoother after a hr of shaving after drinking some liquids).
Ideal range for shaving results would be CCS,DFS,BBS if you are prone to ingrown hairs or skin irritations IMO.
Some folks have to shave every day for job related demands like SCBA (Self contained breathing apparatus) industrial settings or military requirements.

Ron R

How did you hold a microscope to your face at the same time as you used a needle to remove the hair?
It comes with a wand that you push on different attachments like a mirror to get into awkward angles, different cones for different magnifications.......... and a stationary base that swivels.Just a great inspection tool!

Ron R

All that trouble to remove an ingrown hair... To me it's much more hassle than it's worth. Interesting read, though.
It can be, but the ingrown wins as the biggest hassle. There are different methods also but they are possibly just a bigger hassle IMO.

Ron R

Prevention is key, what I do now after a close shave is lightly go over the shaved area when beard skin has dried with a worn out tooth brush (if I remember) or a dried boar brush I also have used and have not had issues ever since like this nasty one. The brush bristles free's the hair before it starts its way inwards to flesh. You might have to do this a few times a day possibly depending on persons hair follicles direction tendencies.
(Old archived photo. This what I use mostly and have modified this worn out tooth brush to clean my shave bowl also from left over soap.)
Worn toothbrush scrubber tool..jpg

Have some great shaves!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My vision and coordination wouldn't let me attempt anything like that. Thankfully, my skin lets me know very early if I have problems with ingrown hairs.

My solution is simply to use my scrubbiest brush - I have a 26mm DS Cosmetic two band badger which pretty much only gets used for remedial work. I lather up a little richer than normal (I prefer a thinner, wetter lather for shaving), and scrub furiously, as if I'm cleaning rust off with a wire brush. Then I rinse all the lather off, and wait a day. It's very rare I'll shave immediately after a remedial scrub.

I can usually tell within an hour or so, if it's been successful. If it has, I'll be back to shaving as usual the following day. If not, I'll try again later the same day, but with an extended prep to soften things up a little more first. I might need to shave more carefully than normal the following day.

I have had a couple of products give me a prickly heat (clogged pore) problem in the past, and this has worked for clearing that up too. Sadly, ingrown hairs are not uncommon for me, due to how erratically curly my beard can be. Sometimes it will just be of wavy, but it can also throw some very abrupt changes in direction.

20231211_061910.jpg

That's kind of average for me, but some will be far worse. Apologies for poor pic - again, vision and coordination. You can still see a couple of sharp turns on those though. As such, I have to be careful not to overstep (soften the skin), or overuse balls after the shave (fluffing the skin up above stubble level).

Ron R

My vision and coordination wouldn't let me attempt anything like that. Thankfully, my skin lets me know very early if I have problems with ingrown hairs.

My solution is simply to use my scrubbiest brush - I have a 26mm DS Cosmetic two band badger which pretty much only gets used for remedial work. I lather up a little richer than normal (I prefer a thinner, wetter lather for shaving), and scrub furiously, as if I'm cleaning rust off with a wire brush. Then I rinse all the lather off, and wait a day. It's very rare I'll shave immediately after a remedial scrub.

I can usually tell within an hour or so, if it's been successful. If it has, I'll be back to shaving as usual the following day. If not, I'll try again later the same day, but with an extended prep to soften things up a little more first. I might need to shave more carefully than normal the following day.

I have had a couple of products give me a prickly heat (clogged pore) problem in the past, and this has worked for clearing that up too. Sadly, ingrown hairs are not uncommon for me, due to how erratically curly my beard can be. Sometimes it will just be of wavy, but it can also throw some very abrupt changes in direction.

View attachment 1762238

That's kind of average for me, but some will be far worse. Apologies for poor pic - again, vision and coordination. You can still see a couple of sharp turns on those though. As such, I have to be careful not to overstep (soften the skin), or overuse balls after the shave (fluffing the skin up above stubble level).
Good information for folks who are needing some help and lack of experiences to guide them a little. The brush bristles catch the hair and lift it up and out. Hand lathering for prone ingrown hairs type of folks is defiantly not a good idea, a stiffer brush could help clean and free hairs. A real good brush in badger is the 22mm Yaqi "ever helpful" 2band badger (shorter loft), or a pure badger knot are designed for folks who like to scrub or need to scrub + affordable . Boar brushes like the Omega' 10005 would work well and are affordable also IMO.

Thing is with ingrown the trick I learn long ago is to rub beard before doing anything with it it in am. Normally if I had ingrown, or wild one growing I could feel pain, find in mirror and pull slowly out.

Wild One as I call em are two hair growning out of some spot, thick one and normal one. Easy to grab with tweezer and pull slow.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also have several extremely sharp surgical tweezers. I do have several lighted magnifiers I use for inspecting camera sensors but I’d have to recruit my wife to help me. I usually just dig around until I can expose the little culprit and pull it out..

Top Bottom