What's new

Ingredients in the classic/drugstore aftershaves?

I don't know a single thing about aftershaves or cologne. It is one rabbit hole that I never went down. Because of eczema, and using products that dry the skin out to correct it, I never considered adding an alcohol based aftershave on top of already dry skin. I tried doing some research on the classic (locally available) aftershaves to find ingredient lists but haven't come up with much. Are they usually just alcohol and fragrance? If so, that won't help me too much. Do any contain glycerin to help moisturize the skin after the alcohol evaporates? Looking more into splashes than balms. Easier to find since I live out in the sticks and I tried Nivea years ago and didn't care for it too much. I was allergic to something in it, even the sensitive version.

Grab a bottle of the new Floid Genuine, somebody on the thread just found it in stock. It's actually the original formula with all the skin benefits and a classic scent. Otherwise, try Speick, it's affordable and has good stuff in it. At least you will know if you are heading the right direction or should abort the idea.

Being that I can't find Speick, Floid or Proraso at the local stores (and right now the last thing I want to do is order something and pay shipping), The Aqua Velva classic will probably be the best bet to try something out locally. I used it years ago as a teenager before I got older with skin problems. I know one grocery store carries it, maybe the AV Musk, Skin Bracer and some of the lotion ones like Afta, etc.

I did pick up a sample of Clubman today at work. It's the original formula. The owner's husband died recently and she was cleaning out his bathroom. In my line of work, we can use stuff like that so she donated it to the job. I carried some home in a cup and decanted it into an old glass bottle I've had for many years. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks for the responses so far @APBinNCA and @md1234

After reading some threads on here recently, Lilac Vegetal certainly sounds like something I need to try one day. ;)

Try also Barrister and Mann Aftershave Balms. They moisturize like you wouldn't believe. Plus, the smell lasts a good while.

I'm going in optimistic because I don't know any better. :)
RUN! Don't go there! The NSA, FBI, and NRC will be all over you. Your house will be tented and you will be stripped scrubbed, and quarantined. Don't wear Lilac Vegetal!

Being that I can't find Speick, Floid or Proraso at the local stores (and right now the last thing I want to do is order something and pay shipping), The Aqua Velva classic will probably be the best bet to try something out locally. I used it years ago as a teenager before I got older with skin problems. I know one grocery store carries it, maybe the AV Musk, Skin Bracer and some of the lotion ones like Afta, etc.

I did pick up a sample of Clubman today at work. It's the original formula. The owner's husband died recently and she was cleaning out his bathroom. In my line of work, we can use stuff like that so she donated it to the job. I carried some home in a cup and decanted it into an old glass bottle I've had for many years. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks for the responses so far @APBinNCA and @md1234

After reading some threads on here recently, Lilac Vegetal certainly sounds like something I need to try one day. ;)
If you have a Wegman’s nearby, they may carry the Proraso aftershave there. I use the Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue all the time and enjoy the menthol, then I will use a small dab of Afta Fresh. Like you, I am not into paying for shipping either so it’s all grocery store aftershave for me. Only exception is when I buy blades, because in bulk they’re so much cheaper and far greater selection than buying local.

Aqua Velva:
SD Alcohol 40-B, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Menthol, Benzophenone-1, Ext. Violet 2, Blue 1.

Alcohol, water, and fragrance, basically. I smells good, though.

Proraso Sensitive splash and Nivea Balm are the only ones that I think might be found in a drug store chain.

Top Bottom