What's new

information about Ferd Herberz Palmera 14

Hello to everyone !
first of all sorry for my english !

I find this Palmera 14 by Ferd Herberz

speaking of collection, does it have the same value as a spanish Palmera 14 by Juan Vollmer?

Or its value is lower?
Thank You a lot for advise !

Attachments

• DSCN7043.jpg
    DSCN7043.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 120

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. We are not allowed to perform appraisals on the forum. Your best bet is to have a look on eBay and look at completed listings.

first of all thank for answer!

I try to explain better: I don't want to know the exactly price of the razor.

I only want to know if the value can be similar.

On ebay i can't find razor like this !

Thank You for everything !

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you cannot find similar for sale or sold, it's value is what you are prepared to pay for it.

You can do a search in the forum for Palmera 14 and see others opinions of the razor.

Ferdinand Herberz was the first who made razors under the name Palmera. His company was founded 1864 in Solingen- Ohligs. In 1934 Juan Vollmer took over the brand name and fabricated razors under that name in Spain.
Here is an old advertisment that shows both companies:

Palmera.jpg

Regards Peter

Ferdinand Herberz was the first who made razors under the name Palmera. His company was founded 1864 in Solingen- Ohligs. In 1934 Juan Vollmer took over the brand name and fabricated razors under that name in Spain.
Here is an old advertisment that shows both companies:

View attachment 1144060

Regards Peter

I Know the brand's history, and I also think that the steel between spanish and german razor is probably different !

the strange is the box of the razor. we can see the name of the producer (Ferd Herberz), and on the right, "marca registrada" .. in spanish.

So, when the razor can be produced?
the value, Can it be considered like a spanish?

in Your opinion... I don't want a price.. only opinion !

Well Juan Vollmer took over a spanish company for razor blade production in Irun in the year 1934 and started production of razor blades under the name Palmera. And that is also what the advertisement says: ..Fabrica de Hojas de afeitar.... He also sold razors under that name from this time on - or later - but I don't know if he really produced them by himself. Most probably the razors have been produced in Solingen by Ferdinand Herberz -or another company - and Vollmer later simply puts his name on them. You should know that a lot of Solingen companies - often small grindery workshops run by the owner itself and a few employes - mainly grinded razors for outside companies and contractors and not for their own trademarks. You would be very surprised to know, how many of the well known european razor trade marks have been fabricated by Solingen grinders - especially the spanish ones.
So I think, your razor was produced by Herberz for the spanish market after 1934. I have read somewhere that the company stopped producing razors before WW2, but not sure. The company is still listed in the trade registry, but not producing anymore.

I would like to show my two Ferd. Herberz straight razors:

Here is a Palmera 14. The blade has a width of 7/8".

Palmera_14_Herberz_0001.JPG
Palmera_14_Herberz_0002.JPG
Palmera_14_Herberz_0003.JPG

And here is my Cocodrilo with a 15/16" blade and bakelite scales.
Cocodrilo_14_0006.JPG
Cocodrilo_14_0003.JPG
Cocodrilo_14_0007.JPG

Here is an advertisement from 1884 that identifies the company as a factory for Solingen steel goods and specializing in scissors, table knives and pocket knives.
Herberz directory 1884.jpg

Ferd. Herberz & Co was registered in the Solingen directory in Goldstrasse 6 in Solingen-Ohligs. Here is a picture of the building as it looks today.
Ferdinand_Herberz_Goldstraße 6.jpg

Hello to everyone !
first of all sorry for my english !

I find this Palmera 14 by Ferd Herberz

speaking of collection, does it have the same value as a spanish Palmera 14 by Juan Vollmer?

Or its value is lower?
Thank You a lot for advise !
Nice razor!

Very interesting thread, for those that know me, 14 sized razors are my favourites.

I will try to answer your original question: The value of vintage razors is determined by what people are prepared to pay for them.

The example you show seems to be in good condition, but not perfect, it's a popular size razor, and you will always find people interested in buying it. For me, it would not make a difference weather it was made in Spain or Germany, so I would probably be prepared to pay the same for this razor than I would pay for a Spanish Palmera in similar condition.

From looking at ebay auctions, I know that Palmera razors don't sell for the same prices as Filarmonica, mostly about 75%, but sometimes for about half the price of Filarmonica, depending on it's condition.

If this razor was in perfect condition, I would be very collectable. In the condition it is, it's still a nice razor to shave with.

Top Bottom