What's new

Infomercial cookware

you have seen the commercials.. Blue granite, granitestone, Gotham steel...
are any of these cookware worth it?

I have some calaphon that I got on sale from Amazon once but to expand it would be expensive.. not sure I want to do that when these seem to be the rage..
so anyone have experience with the infomercal pans?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can't say I have, but I've often been curious. Some of those things actually work.

Mrs. TL actually gave me a Clapper for Christmas many years ago. It was something of a gag gift after I joked that I needed one to turn off my bedside lamp. I don't know if I'd want to live without it!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I see a lot of them at the Goodwill store. Usually with serious burn marks in the center of the pan.

I'll use my seasoned cast iron and carbon steel for now.

Not for me.

The infomercial cookware exists for people who want seasoned cookware without having to put in the time to season. I can't see any way, shape or form in which they would be better then well seasoned CI and CS.

I see a lot of them at the Goodwill store. Usually with serious burn marks in the center of the pan.
and I think that's where a lot of those coatings pans go wrong. my coated calaphon specifically say do not use with high heat. I rarely turn the dial on the range above 3 and never above 5 using them. if I need to sear something i use cast iron.

I'd forget about it. Many chef's supply stores have 'generic' heavy bottomed cookware for a great price, though they may not be coated. I've become an All Clad fan. Personally, I visit Marshall's and TJ MAXX and scout for discounted All Clad. My favorite sautee pan is a 12" nonstick All Clad that I paid like $30 for. That's less than a crappy Cuisinart or Calphalon from Walmart

I'd forget about it. Many chef's supply stores have 'generic' heavy bottomed cookware for a great price, though they may not be coated. I've become an All Clad fan. Personally, I visit Marshall's and TJ MAXX and scout for discounted All Clad. My favorite sautee pan is a 12" nonstick All Clad that I paid like $30 for. That's less than a crappy Cuisinart or Calphalon from Walmart

I heavily second the advice above. Ross and Homegoods are also good options.

Top Bottom