What's new

Info on Mechi razors?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Appears that JJ Mechi started his company in 1828. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Appears that JJ Mechi started his company in 1828. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Yep. He was at Leadenhall street in London until the early 1840's when he moved to larger premises. He went out of business in 1856 due to beards having become fashionable. It's probably a re-branded blade from a Sheffield razor maker since his business was strop making.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Here is a link you will find of interest... http://www.hygra.com/MECHI'S-CATALOGUE-OF-MANUFACTURES-1841/index.htm

I met a women via the web and she turned out to be one of the foremost collectors of all things Mechi and a high end bidder on his items at practically any auction online or live on the planet. She sought me out after I came across some Mechi items myself. His dressing cases are prized items as well. Take a look at the link and you will see quite a bit about him and his business.

Thanks for the info. The razor had me wondering because it feels almost like spring steel. It's heavy. Should be interesting honing. And fun to use. Thanks again.

I know this is an old entry, but I thought I'd drop a note and say "Thanks". I found the Mechi Razor shown below this summer, cleaned it up, honed it and this morning it gave me a great shave. I was looking for some information on Mechi and the string on the entry was very informative.

It's a heavy razor. Likely reground at some point, but otherwise an excellent shape. It was interesting trying to get a clean honing onto the curved edge.

IMG_0886.jpg

Top Bottom