What's new

Info on Gillette travel brush

Hello all,
I picked this up in Old bisbee, AZ today. It’s a gillette pure badger, with a D below the gillete Logo. I believe this is a reavel brush, since the bottom unscrews, and there is old dried out soap in the cavity.I payed the 14 they were asking without dickering, since I understand this is a kind of rare brush.
I have seen pictures of a large, does anyone know how many styles of these were made?

Attachments

• $003.jpg
    $003.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 59
  • $004.jpg
    $004.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 60
  • $002.jpg
    $002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 64
Hi John, found your post and saw that you found a nice brush.

These Gillette brushes are an oddity to me because I really can't seem to find more info on them; I suspect these where available from the '60s through the '70s. What's weird too is that they just don't show up say in ebuay with any frequency at all, Rubbersets and EverReadies are all over; when you do see a Gillette brush is either the really vintage travellers in the tube or the new synthetic cheapies. Hard to tell why.

The one I restored that you saw also unscrewed apart. In mine, the gunk that I thought could have been hardened soap was actually the rubber compound that held the bristles together and got all gooey if heated too much with the drill bit.

thank you
I have tried P&G, no luck, library of congress, smithonian, no anserwe yet. I did manage to get out some of the gunk, I am thinking of sending to shavemac for a rebuild. since it's something that I am not planning on making a hobbie it might be cheaper than me buying the things my self. when i got out the gunk i tried soaking some dirt out and it seeped through to the bristles, so i assume that the gunk was some kind of sealer, and the reason for the screw cap reamais a mystery. Again, thanks for your answer, as you can see you are the only one out of over 30 that knew anything about this .

Top Bottom