What's new

Info on a vintage shave brush

Hi All,

I went to visit the folks for the weekend not too long ago. Somehow shaving came up and Dad said he would look and see what stuff he had left over from his wet shaving days. He's an electric shaver now and thinks wet shaving is crazy.

He gave me the brush shown below. He said he didn't remember much about it, other than he used it a bit and may have been his Dad's. I think it may be a Boots brush, but other than that I haven't figured much out. Anyone have any more info or approximate age?

Looking forward to giving it a try.

brush.jpg

Looks like a common old Rooney shaving brush to me? A popular one at that. I have several with that exact handle and hair knot! If so you are lucky to have received it. The handle is very nice. The hair knot is very floppy and not dense! At least that's how mine are?

Might be an old Kent. Look on the bottom for a <K> symbol. The above guess of a Rooney is also possible. Possibly better pictures would help?

Looks like a common old Rooney shaving brush to me? A popular one at that. I have several with that exact handle and hair knot! If so you are lucky to have received it. The handle is very nice. The hair knot is very floppy and not dense! At least that's how mine are?

Might be an old Kent. Look on the bottom for a <K> symbol. The above guess of a Rooney is also possible. Possibly better pictures would help?

Thanks for the responses,

The brush feels not very dense and I could see being a bit floppy. The handle has some heft to it. Perhaps if the brush isn't the best, I can re-knot it because I really like the handle.

I had a really good look at the handle. I see a very faint outline of the Boots symbol near the base. I attached another photo.

brush2.jpg

Thanks all,
I gave it a go last night for my SOTD with vintage old spice soap. It felt great and definitely felt that the brush has seen lots of work over the years. Unfortunately shed quite a few hairs during the shave. I'll keep giving it a go and see if it continues to shed. The weight and heft of the handle is fantastic and a real pleasure to use during the shave.

Top Bottom