What's new

Infinity/Solera/Living Bottle ...

So I heard about this last year ... while I was exploring bourbon (FWIW, I'm still exploring, should update my thread).

Anywho ... the idea is to "create" your own blend by decanting some of all of your stash (or the final ounces of your bottles) into a special bottle.

PUNCH | How the Infinity Bottle Became a Whiskey Nerd Obsession

I've been thinking about it for some time, but haven't yet. But I have an empty Bulleit bottle (I love their bottles) and I'm thinking of creating one in it.

Any of you guys do this? Experiences?

Well ... I was bored this morning, and inspired by a video of Ralfy's I watched this morning, so I went ahead and started one.

20180116_155600.jpg 20180116_155609.jpg

Tried to mimic the original Bulleit label on the front, plus I wanted to make sure anyone who came across the bottle would understand it's not what it looks like it would be (ie., it's not Bulleit!). I'd like to paint or etch an infinity symbol on the front of this somewhere, assuming I stay with the bottle going forward. I'm kind of entertaining replacing it with an actual decanter, but we'll see. I really do like the Bulleit bottles. One of the coolest ones out there in the world of very reasonably priced bourbons IMO.

On the back I noted each bourbon that went into it. And then when I add a new one to it, I'll just update the word document and replace the label. Not sure that's my long-term solution for it, but it'll work for now. This one will be strictly for bourbons. I don't think I'm going to include ryes in it. At least not at this point.

This is something I hope to pass on to my boys eventually, maybe they'll keep it going and toast me every year on my birthday after I'm dead and gone.

To answer the obvious question ... no, I haven't sampled it yet. Plus, Ralfy encourages the notion of "a dram out, a dram in" when you uncork the Infinity Bottle, and I'm currently without a new bourbon to put in it. My birthday is in a couple of weeks so I may aim to do so then. Ideally I'd love to get some true Glencairn glasses before then and make it a ritual.

Wish I had known about this when I had 15 different bottles of gin. I’ve been using up the lesser favorites, working down to only the few that will get replaced.

Sent from the Spider Phone

Love it!

Ideally I'd love to get some true Glencairn glasses before then and make it a ritual.

Check your Goodwill from time to time, I found four or five Glenairn glasses there for 99 cents each. I think at least two of those from Goodwill were logo glasses and came from your state; Minhas distillery. Someone must have visited, tasted and bought/took the glass with them.

Minhas is 20 minutes away ... Love that place. They often give away souvenir glasses with tours and tastings

Cool! I've heard of blending a couple of BT offerings to produce something rivaling an unobtainable Pappy bottle, but this is different! IDK. I just seem to drink each bottle until it is gone. I love the Bulleit bottles, too. They seem like they come straight from a frontier saloon. I have a friend who dumps his Maker's into a Willett's bottle because it is unique (and Maker's is much cheaper!). Let us know how it goes!

I'm starting three of these (bourbon, rye and scotch). Will try to get them going and get a photo or two up soon. I should be able to get a full bourbon bottle with what I have available, the rye and scotch will take some time, but the journey is part of the fun.

One could end up with one hell of a blend! Whether Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, or a mix of all the above, it would be interesting, thought to be honest, I would not mix Bourbon with a Scotch or Irish. Totally different flavour.

One could end up with one hell of a blend! Whether Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, or a mix of all the above, it would be interesting, thought to be honest, I would not mix Bourbon with a Scotch or Irish. Totally different flavour.

High West makes "Campfire" which is a blend of Bourbon and Scotch whiskeys. Not too shabby!

Mike

I've not labeled the bottles yet, but have a start on three:

Moe’s Infinity Bourbon
Started January, 2018

1792 Sweet Wheat
Angel’s Envy
Barrell Bourbon 009
Bib & Tucker
Blanton’s Single Barrel
E.C. Small Batch
E.C. Barrel Proof - 2017 B517
E.C. 18 Year - 2017
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Johny Drum Private Stock
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Larceny
Maker’s Mark Cask Strength
Mellow Corn (extra aged by me)
Law’s 4-Grain Bourbon
Old Grand-Dad 114
Old Forester 1897
Old Forester 1920
Old Weller Antique
Russel’s Reserve Single Barrel
Weller Special Reserve
Willett
Moe’s Infinity Rye
Started January, 2018

Bulleit 95 Rye
Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Rye
High West Double Rye
High West Yippee Ki-yay
Pikesville Rye
Rittenhouse Rye
Russel’s Reserve Rye Single Barrel
Templeton Rye (4yr)
Moe’s Infinity Scotch
Started January, 2018

Aberfeldy 21
Lagavulin 16
Monkey Shoulder
Shieldiag 10
The Balvenie 12 Double Wood
The Black Grouse
P1030976.JPG

Nice Moe! Question ... What's your thought on the Bib & Tucker bourbon? I have a gift card from my company burning a hole in my pocket and Bib & Tucker is on my radar.

ok, taking the idea to a next step: what would be the pro/con to running an 'infinity cask'? I've seen companies offer quart, 1/2 gal, gallon wood casks for the bar, why not keep it in a controlled environment and start it with something good filled to half volume to ensure wetting the seams? One could then take the idea of maturing in your choice of wood, fresh or blackened, angels getting their share and see what comes.

One would be able to take samples far sooner too!

Nice Moe! Question ... What's your thought on the Bib & Tucker bourbon? I have a gift card from my company burning a hole in my pocket and Bib & Tucker is on my radar.

Mine was a gift from my wife; my first impression was not that great. I didn't think it was bad, just not worth the likely $54 to $56 she paid for it. Since then I've come to appreciate it a little more but still believe it to be well overpriced. The bottle I have has got to have more cinnamon on the palate than any other bourbon i have had. It's my current target to focus on and finish, I've been drinking it for the last few nights and should have it gone by the weekend.

For the price i'd much rather add to my Blanton's stash or buy another of the Knob Creek Single Barrel.

Hopefully that helps.

I'm always torn between resurrecting a thread and starting a new one. So if this was the wrong approach...please let me know.

I'm thinking of doing this infinity bottle thing. For those who do...do you tend to add the final ounce or do you tend to add an ounce from the start of a bottle? As a "completionist", I really like the feeling of that last pour going into a glass. But I guess I adding to the bottle after a pour may still provide the same feeling. Just curious of everyone's thoughts. Also, have you ever changed bottles part way through? Example, you get a cooler bottle that you'd prefer to use.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm always torn between resurrecting a thread and starting a new one. So if this was the wrong approach...please let me know.

Generally it's up to the individual user.

No problem resurrecting an old thread generally ... it can be rather interesting to see the old comments from years ago ... remember members who posted there who haven't been around for years ...

The only real "issue" is around subjects where there are a lot of active threads on a subject and someone wants to start "his own" thread on the same subject.

Top Bottom