What's new

Infinity Razor?

I saw an advertisement on CNBC this A.M. (it came on twice in a 15 minute-period acutally) for the "Infinity Razor." It was touted as the last razor you'd ever need to buy (although it sure looked like a disposable to me). They have a satisfaction guarantee, to the extent that if you weren't happy with it, they'd buy you your favorite "cartridge razor" as replacement.

Their website (now up and running):

www.theinfinityrazor.com

I smell snake oil :spockflam

Anybody else seen/heard of this?

I know I know!!!! It is clearly going to be a straight :wink:

Bad form, running ads without the website up yet....

boboakalfb said:
Maybe if I weren't satisfied then I could convince them to buy me a Vision..it takes DE cartridges of course...
They can make mine a E&J DE....oh and why not throw in a nice stand as well.:biggrin:
Cheers, DJ.

This epitomizes the infomercial business model.

$14.99. 30 days guarantee. You have to pay return shipping.

They will get 0.5% returns on which they will probably lose a few bucks. The rest of the people will junk the thing after a week or three and deem it too much effort to return it. Thier unit cost is probably 40-75 cents or so.

FriscoSoxFan said:
Thier unit cost is probably 40-75 cents or so.

At most - the deal also includes 6 tubes of aromatherapy shave gel - bet the three T's are quaking at the thought of this stuff coming to market!

Suzuki said:
At most - the deal also includes 6 tubes of aromatherapy shave gel - bet the three T's are quaking at the thought of this stuff coming to market!

Note that they don't tell you how big the tubes are...

According to one of the very few Internet hits that came up on a search of "Gin 5," it's a Hitachi-owned steel that was developped for surgical instruments. There's a company (TigerSharp) that makes knives of the stuff. Knives, it's interesting to point out, that have replacable blades that can be swapped out when the old one dulls too much. The "revolutionary new razor guys" claim they took Ginsu technology and turned it into a shaver, but the word 'Ginsu' was made up by a now-deceased ad-man who was struggling to find a way to pitch knives being manufactured in Ohio.

Too bad the Infinity wasn't out in time for the B&B anniversary contest. It would have been fun to see the posts that resulted from those lucky winners.

I wonder if there is a material that COULD keep it's sharpness forever if it was just used for shaving. Some kind of ceramic or carbide or... hey, a blade with an edge made of manufactured diamond, whatever. I mean if you had a million dollars to make just one blade, is it possible?

Harkonnendog said:
I wonder if there is a material that COULD keep it's sharpness forever if it was just used for shaving. Some kind of ceramic or carbide or... hey, a blade with an edge made of manufactured diamond, whatever. I mean if you had a million dollars to make just one blade, is it possible?

Hmmm...I have seen "cutters" made for clipping newspaper/magazine articles and I recall these were made of porcelain.

I guess that you could make a much more durable blade for razors if you could coat the steel blade with a microscopic layer of artificial diamond...

salsadj said:
I found a quote from some makers of ceramic cutlery and apparently their engineers were used as guinea pigs for shaving prototypes.
It's interesting that they say it is too sharp. Sounds to me like an opportunity to design the proper razor to utilize it and cash in.

Top Bottom