What's new

Inexpensive OC

I have several razors, but like many of you I'm interested in trying something new. What I don't have and haven't tried is an open comb razor. Since my beard isn't exceptionally thick it might seem like overkill, but I do find that my face is stubbly by the end of day (enough that my wife has frequently suggested that I could use a shave - and done so at times that are not particularly conducive to heading off to the bathroom to shave).

In any event, I have extra handles so I figured an easy and expensive way to try this is to buy an open comb head. Two that I have seen are the Pearl and the Razorock Old Type, which may be made by Pearl but is a different design than the Pearl OC that I see on eBay. Both are very inexpensive, i.e. under $15 shipped. If you've used both, how do they compare? If you've used one or the other, what are your impressions?

I haven't used an open comb. However, I have a Maggard razor and they also produce an open comb head. I am very happy with their V3 closed comb head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I haven't used either, but I do have a RazoRock slant head and the quality is excellent. Fatip makes some more aggressive OC options that won't break the bank and you could always try a Merkur OC or vintage Gillette Old or New, also good budget options. Let me know what you decide as I may be looking for another OC :thumbup1:

I haven't used an open comb. However, I have a Maggard razor and they also produce an open comb head. I am very happy with their V3 closed comb head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes, that's another one I should have mentioned. In fact, one of the handles in my drawer is a Maggard MR11, which would pair nicely with their V2 open comb.

There's always the Maggard or Stirling heads.

Another option that seems to be gaining momentum is the Schone OC. All brass construction, $22 on Amazon.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I haven't used either, but I do have a RazoRock slant head and the quality is excellent. Fatip makes some more aggressive OC options that won't break the bank and you could always try a Merkur OC or vintage Gillette Old or New, also good budget options. Let me know what you decide as I may be looking for another OC [emoji106]1:
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I find the mid-30s Gillette Long Comb Goodwill to be both efficient and mild. If you are interested I will PIF a head to you (handle cracked badly). Then, if it isn't for you, please PIF it along to someone else. PM me your snail-mail and I will ship it out to you. IMG_0341[1].JPG IMG_0342[1].JPG
It needs a little clean-up, but teeth are all straight, and most of the gold is still on the cap. Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Tom

I have an Parker open comb. Also I have Merkur 15C, which from reviews seem to be very much similar to RR Old Type. They are probably not 100% identical, but probably shaving a bit in a similar way.

Between those two I would pick RR Old Type. At least Merkur 15C is extra safe against clogging, so if you ever need to rest your face a week or so, it would mow down everything easily without trimming first.

Open combs are for any kind of beard. The benefit of open combs is that many of them are extra resistant to clogging, and thus it is possible to make really mild razors with almost no gap at all. Open combs simply allow geometries not possible with safety bar.

I have a RR Old Type and like it very much. It is milder than the Gillette Old but a very comfortable and efficient shaver. I also have a couple of Gillette New and they are slightly milder, but still comfortable. For a total change up, read my review of the Pearl SBF-11, an open comb TTO razor. Slightly more aggressive, but VERY efficient.

I'm unfamiliar with the Pearl OC, but the RR Old type is now my daily shaver. This is the 1st OC I've ever used and I'm amazed at the comfort and efficiency of it. Get the whole thing (at under $15) and a 316L SS handle comes with it !I'm truly blown away by this inexpensive, but great shaver.

I find the mid-30s Gillette Long Comb Goodwill to be both efficient and mild. If you are interested I will PIF a head to you (handle cracked badly). Then, if it isn't for you, please PIF it along to someone else. PM me your snail-mail and I will ship it out to you.View attachment 783435 View attachment 783437
It needs a little clean-up, but teeth are all straight, and most of the gold is still on the cap. Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Tom
Very generous!

If you are really thrifty...the Pearl OC and Yaqi double open comp heads can each be had for under $8 shipped. They are both very good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Another offer for a complete and disinfected unknown origin french open comb. I just ask that if you don't care for it, PIF to another member. If want me to ship out to you tomorrow, send me your name and address.
IMG_20180418_161304762.jpg
IMG_20180418_161311403.jpg
IMG_20180418_161322087.jpg

Westcoast shaving has an open comb head that can be purchased for 5 bucks. I use it and like it quite a bit.

Razorock SLOC seems to be a good mild shaver from reviews here too.

This is also a great option, super comfortable shave and can be had for around 10 bucks.

M

Member 113878

Got a Pearl OC recently, and hsd the worst shave in a long time!

Top Bottom