What's new

Inexpensive, European made, vegetable tanned briefcase

I've been looking for a daily workhorse bag for a while now. I have and greatly enjoy my briefcase from Alan of Narragansett Leathers, but was looking for something to 'beat on' a bit, and not be concerned if it took some abuse. Nothing crazy, just flights, combating months of snow, being tossed a little, and not infrequent trips over while in crowded rooms.

Recently stumbled upon Ruitertassen, a small(ish) company that has been making leather goods since 1927. Manufacturing in Belgium, with no bespoke features, I was able to secure their "Professor" two gusset satchel for $235, delivered to my door!

Is it the same quality as my bag from Alan? Not quite. Do I like it as much? No. But do I like it? Heck yeah! It's a full grain, vegetable tanned leather briefcase, made in Europe, for less than 250 smackers!!!! Attached are some poor quality photos. Much better exist on their website. I opted for no coloring as I really like the natural aging that occurs to vegetable tanned leather that is not dyed.

Highly recommend both theirs and Alan's product!

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. The little fob seen inside the briefcase is a QR code with very basic instructions. It is affixed with no possibility of falling out. In a nutshell, if lost, the QR code populates whatever contact information the owner enters after purchase and receipt of the bag. Pretty neat feature!

IMG_20190102_1403268.jpg
IMG_20190102_1404037.jpg

Last edited:
I have been eyeing a Ruitertassen briefcase for some time... That is a stunner and should hold up for a lifetime!

Nice thick leather. Yours looks sturdy and sharp. Here's mine that I picked up in Brazil from a street vendor. I had to use leather conditioner on it about four times because it was all dried and brittle from being in the sun.
20190107_035748.jpg

At 3.9 pounds it is quite light. It is sturdy and the quality is there, but it is not built from near the thickness of hide as say, a motorcycle saddle bag. Prince - that is what I look forward to most, the natural aging and darkening. Looking forward to it!

In all I am quite pleased!

Top Bottom