What's new

Inexpensive DE razors for travel

I'll be honest... I like my good razor for a reason... I have a zippered travel case that holds my Timeless, two plates, and a tuck of blades. I don't lose track of it ... I dont lose track of any of my toiletries when i travel. The only thing I have a cheap travel version of is a brush because on long trips I know it gets packed wet and I dont want to ruin a good brush.

I'll be honest... I like my good razor for a reason... I have a zippered travel case that holds my Timeless, two plates, and a tuck of blades. I don't lose track of it ... I dont lose track of any of my toiletries when i travel. The only thing I have a cheap travel version of is a brush because on long trips I know it gets packed wet and I dont want to ruin a good brush.

I need a better travel box too. I'm thinking about buying one of these only for the heads and one or two handles.

@MHBru, have you considered using one of these ventilated screw-cases for your brush?

brush_case.jpg

I use one in my travel kit and have had great luck with it. Full disclosure...I use a Plissoft synthetic and it dries pretty fast.

I’ll admit when I travel I take either my Rocca or Overlander and sometimes an aluminum Henson. I always check my bag. I have a couple of cheaper razors ….Wilkinson, Rapira, Yuma but honestly haven’t ever used them. I like to know I’m going to get a decent shave with a quality razor when I travel and I’m not too concerned with loosing anything. I don’t take my main users but like the ones above for their performance and if lost….no big deal.

This tread has reminded me I have a Gentile and 34HD that I could pull out for travel as other options.

I usually take a Tech but for my next trip I am probably going to take my Lupo 58. If it gets lost, I will buy another one. I have never lost a razor while traveling, and I don't think it will happen this time, either.

I’ll admit when I travel I take either my Rocca or Overlander and sometimes an aluminum Henson. I always check my bag. I have a couple of cheaper razors ….Wilkinson, Rapira, Yuma but honestly haven’t ever used them. I like to know I’m going to get a decent shave with a quality razor when I travel and I’m not too concerned with loosing anything. I don’t take my main users but like the ones above for their performance and if lost….no big deal.

This tread has reminded me I have a Gentile and 34HD that I could pull out for travel as other options.

I don't mind taking some of my more expensive razors with me when I travel, but it really depends on where I'm going, for how long and for what purpouse I'm traveling as well as how I travel (plane, car, bus etc.).

Of course, if I have to move to another city for a couple of month, I will definitely take my best gear with me, but if I'm going on a one/two week vacation to another country, then I will get something very inexpensive, since the last thing I want when I go on a vacation is to worry about my stuff as well as how super close my shave is, so having different sets of shaving razors for traveling depending on the situation is never a bad thing

@know1special that's exactly the one that I use and keep a desicant packet in it as well. :)

@Medivh This is the case I've carried for years. https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgic-Butterfly-Handled-Carrying-Khanka/dp/B0721DWR7T/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SNL9FJY3MUFR&dplnkId=4988a6eb-f1cf-429c-aaab-49403079cbf2&keywords=safety+razor+travel+case&qid=1677954826&sprefix=razor+travel+case,aps,160&sr=8-2&dplnkId=c5a0888a-6fdc-4fb7-ab15-39a73e829ef1 FYI I keep desicant packets in this as well even though I try and dry everything as best I can before packing.

Last edited:
Yesterday I shaved with a Wilkinson Sword Classic $5.99 from Amazon plastic razor and an Astra SP and it was great. I'd probably travel with it. I've got cheaper Alshabab and Dollar Tree razors but they either have a scary build quality or are super aggressive to me. I've also got a few of these https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804061762594.html butterfly head razors which were $3.18 inc/shipping on Temu when I bought them. They work fine, but I save them to give away to newbies.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The Lord l6 is nice, but my recommendation would be for a a Gillette Super razor, and depending oh how frugal this needs to be, a merkur bakelite for a little more aggressive of a razor. Have tried/own all three and they are great.

The Lord l6 is nice, but my recommendation would be for a a Gillette Super razor, and depending oh how frugal this needs to be, a merkur bakelite for a little more aggressive of a razor. Have tried/own all three and they are great.

You mean Gillette Super Blue or a Super Speed?

I recently bought a Lord 6 for traveling. I can vouch for the razor being mild and leaving my face DFS. It gets the job done and as others have said, for $6 I won’t cry if I leave it some place.

On an upcoming trip, I'm not going to even bother bringing a DE razor to risk losing it, no matter how inexpensive it was. I'll just get some disposable razors & my destination & be done w/it.

-Z

I don't know about the OP's geographic location and local options but, for me, an eBay Gillette Tech is a good place to start. I'm also a big fan of the $25 EJ DE89 and $20 Fatip Piccolo on the cheap end of things.

Disposables have their place as well. A good quality disposable is what I would take IF I fly anywhere. Domestic flights for me are not something I see in my future with all the problems at airports these days with everything from renting a car, to TSA gate checks, baggage fees, missed connecting flights, and other related travel whoas brought on by labor shortages and outright mismanagement.

I do have hopes of returning to Europe and going to Asia, and possibly Africa and the Mid-East again in the future. With economic and political instability though, I'm afraid that is not going to be an option for me for many years though, and who knows what things will look like then.

Last edited:
Built quality/plating on the Yuma is poor but it gives excellent shaves. Beware that there are fakes with a Tech appearance and a plastic baseplate around. Those are unusable.

I've had a Yuma in the past, but I gave it to a a boy who wanted to get into DE shaving and didn't want to spend a lot of money. Those can be found here for around a dollar, which is still a bargain. The only problem is that I can't find them in my city and I have to ask someone for to buy me a couple of them and be done with it.

I find the Yuma to be a very good razor, even though I have some trouble in some spots, but if I use it on a vacation, it wouldn't matter that much for me.

If I’m traveling by plane it’s the Gillette Guard with some spare cartridges. I recently heard that the TSA is confiscating/won’t allow DE razors regardless if there’s a blade in it or not. If I’m traveling by car or ship(cruise) it’ll be any razor that I have a backup of so that I wouldn’t be crying if I’d lost it.

Top Bottom