What's new

Inexpensive DE razors for travel

I'm looking for an inexpensive DE razor that also shaves good for travel and I won't be missing it if I lose for instance. I think the Lord 6 is probably the best one so far, given the fact that I can buy one for around $11 with shipping and also because it has stood the test of time and most people find it somewhat reliable and decent. But I also want to hear other opinions and recommendations.

I'm looking for an inexpensive DE razor that also shaves good for travel and I won't be missing it if I lose for instance. I think the Lord 6 is probably the best one so far, given the fact that I can buy one for around $11 with shipping and also because it has stood the test of time and most people find it somewhat reliable and decent. But I also want to hear other opinions and recommendations.
I have heard good things about the Yuma razor from Turkey.

About £12 and shaves very well according to Brother @Quaznoid

I have heard good things about the Yuma razor from Turkey.

About £12 and shaves very well according to Brother @Quaznoid

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Yuma. We have those around here, but not in my town and they don't sell them online. I always forget to tell someone to find me one of those and send it to me. I had one in the past, but a friend of mine who is new to wet shaving wanted to start and I gave him my Yuma as well as a couple of packs of DE blades and of course - an Arko stick :D .

Lord L122 C comes with a SB and OC plate
Gillette Super Blue
Yuma
Fatip Piccolo Nichelato

B9D8D8F2-6DF7-429D-95EC-F99DE9A5A579.jpeg

As Hannes mentioned I use a nickel Piccolo when travelling. Works great. I used the Gentile last summer because my vacation coincided with Shark Week, but I think it will be OC for this year.

I saw that Lord at RBC too. I think I will but that at some point. Kind of like the idea of having an OC Tech!

Guido

Groomatiorium has the Baili BR171 for $7. I liked it when I had it. I ended up PIFing it just because I found that I wasn't using it as much as my Henson or my pre-war Gillette Tech, and it was too good a razor to be sitting in my closet while a beginner could be learning with it.

A few months ago I bought a Feather Popular for travel. It's lightweight and blade alignment is accurate. About $18. Shaves quite well although it feels like a toy.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to use a Razorock old type- mild razor and more recently when in traveling in Mexico & Spain a few years back a Yaqi Mellon head- mild to tame mid range. There are lots inexpensive quality Zamak razor heads & complete razors out there for all levels of comfort or aggression needed.

I am going to suggest a different perspective. I would say just take your (cheapest) normal razor you like to shave with because what are the odds your luggage will get lost. And if it does, it is an excuse to buy something new, unless of course you are taking your favorite vintage razor, which I would not do for sure. I would guess if your luggage is lost, there are more expensive things in there other than a DE razor. Do you buy special travel clothes, shoes, socks, belts, jackets etc. just in case you lose them too? I usually take my best stuff when I travel so why should the razor be any different?

Of course you will have to be diligent with putting away things after use, but you always do a room check before leaving so forgetting your razor on the bathroom counter should be a non-issue. But if you are looking for justification to buy that Lord, than just do it :)

Last edited:
I am going to suggest a different perspective. I would say just take your (cheapest) normal razor you like to shave with because what are the odds your luggage will get lost. And if it does, it is an excuse to buy something new, unless of course you are taking your favorite vintage razor, which I would not do for sure. I would guess if your luggage is lost, there are more expensive things in there other than a DE razor. Do you buy special travel clothes, shoes, socks, belts, jackets etc. just in case you lose them too? I usually take my best stuff when I travel so why should the razor be any different?

Of course you will have to be diligent with putting away things after use, but you always do a room check before leaving so forgetting your razor on the bathroom counter should be a non-issue. But if you are looking for justification to buy that Lord, than just do it :)

I'd say it depends where I travel, for how long I will stay there and how am I going to travel (car, bus, airplane etc.). For instance, if I go on a vacation in another country, I'm not going to take a lot of stuff with me and the most valuable things like my phone, money, debit cards and stuff like that will either be with me the whole time or locked up in a safe. The rest of the stuff that I'm going to take with me are going to be mainly clothes and a small handbag with cosmetics like toothpaste, toothbrush, shaving accessories etc.

If I go to visit a friend or my family inside the country, I wouldn't be as restricted and I wouldn't mind getting my favorite and more expensive razor/razors with me along with other stuff too, but I still wouldn't take too much stuff with me, since I know from experience that I rarely use most of the stuff that I take with me on trips anyway.

I think so far the Yuma and the Lord 6 are probably the best choices. I'm well familiar with the Yuma and it can be found for around $1 in my country, but I haven't seen it in my town, so I will ask someone to buy one or more and send them to me.

The Lord 6 would cost me around $9 with shipping, which is also not bad at all. I'd expect it to be more aggressive and efficient than the Yuma, which is quite mild and while it's not super efficient, getting nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation with it is nearly impossible.

I use KCG for travel, it's mild and readily available in drugstore.
For me, mild razor is good if I travel for work. I won't nick myself and even if it doesen't give me BBS I'm still best shaved guy on the block

I use KCG for travel, it's mild and readily available in drugstore.
For me, mild razor is good if I travel for work. I won't nick myself and even if it doesen't give me BBS I'm still best shaved guy on the block

KCG isn't a bad option either, but I can buy a Lord 6, two Yuma razors and a Chinese Gillette Super Blue (a Tech) for the same amount of money and I will have a large variety of razors with different efficiency options. The handles of all of those razors kinda suck though, especially the hollow and plastic handle of the Gillette Super Blue.

Top Bottom