What's new

inexpensive but good quality sun glasses

Legion

Staff member
Damn you guys...

Neil Armstrong, Don Draper, Johnny Depp and Douglas MacArthur can't all be wrong.

Now... which colour to get?

Ordered. You guys are killing me.

Last edited:
Not sure of their availability in the US but I wear Polaroid sunglasses as my cheapies. I quite often pick them up in preference to my Christian Dior sunnies.

Interesting thread. I recently picked up a pair of Suncloud polarized for $49 before tax.

Not the same optic quality of my Smiths but for half the price what do you expect?

I picked up the Sentry with the green mirror lens. I have fished several days in them this season and they work well.

I've spent the last few decades looking for a good pair of sunglasses to wear over prescription lenses. I don't like the clip-on kind or the flip-up kind, I want something that firs OVER my glasses and I mainly just need them for driving. I'm more concerned with comfort and durability than I am with style.

I have two pair that I keep in my car, one is a Foster Grant that I paid around $20 for. They are reasonably good looking, but not comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The other pair is a complete wrap-around that I picked up for around $10, but they make me look like a nono-genarian sunning on the beach in Miami.

Both of them do the basic job of keeping sun and glare out of my eyes, but I know there must be something better out there. But I've been looking for it for at least 30 years and I haven't found it yet, at any price.

Legion

Staff member
How do you determine your size in glasses?

The AO site I recently ordered from has a chart. You measure the distance between your temples and they tell you what frame size you probably need. It's tough when you cant try them on first, though.

I've spent the last few decades looking for a good pair of sunglasses to wear over prescription lenses. I don't like the clip-on kind or the flip-up kind, I want something that firs OVER my glasses and I mainly just need them for driving. I'm more concerned with comfort and durability than I am with style.

I have two pair that I keep in my car, one is a Foster Grant that I paid around $20 for. They are reasonably good looking, but not comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The other pair is a complete wrap-around that I picked up for around $10, but they make me look like a nono-genarian sunning on the beach in Miami.

Both of them do the basic job of keeping sun and glare out of my eyes, but I know there must be something better out there. But I've been looking for it for at least 30 years and I haven't found it yet, at any price.

I did this for years, then finally sprang for a pair of Ray Ban with prescription lens.....best move I've made in a long time. Totally worth the expense, IMO.

I did this for years, then finally sprang for a pair of Ray Ban with prescription lens.....best move I've made in a long time. Totally worth the expense, IMO.
Back in the day, I had those prescriptions lenses that automatically changed color when I went outside. I wore those for about 10 years, and went through 3 or 4 prescriptions with those special lenses. But as I got older, and my prescription needs got stronger, the optometrist refused to make them for me anymore, because he said they would be too heavy. So that's when I went for the fit-over sunglasses.

At one point I was wearing contact lenses, and I had a pair of Serengeti sunglasses that were around $70. Really nice, very comfortable, stylish, and good quality lenses that didn't distort my vision at all. They were the right shade that I could wear them both day and night. But then I left them on the bathroom counter at work, and when I went back to pick them up 5 minutes later, they were gone. I've never found another pair since that come close to those sunglasses for function / comfort / value.

Back in the day, I had those prescriptions lenses that automatically changed color when I went outside. I wore those for about 10 years, and went through 3 or 4 prescriptions with those special lenses. But as I got older, and my prescription needs got stronger, the optometrist refused to make them for me anymore, because he said they would be too heavy. So that's when I went for the fit-over sunglasses.

At one point I was wearing contact lenses, and I had a pair of Serengeti sunglasses that were around $70. Really nice, very comfortable, stylish, and good quality lenses that didn't distort my vision at all. They were the right shade that I could wear them both day and night. But then I left them on the bathroom counter at work, and when I went back to pick them up 5 minutes later, they were gone. I've never found another pair since that come close to those sunglasses for function / comfort / value.

Bummer, I can't stand a thief!!

I have to second the Serengeti's best sunglass I've ever owned---the Drivers lens are great for all round

You can find then discounted a lot of times---Campmor--Eye Save etc...

This is what I was going to suggest. AO Aviators are all I wear.

They are good enough for Astronauts!
proxy.php

Damn you!

I've been banned from acquiring more pairs of sunglasses and now I'm going to have to settle for just staring at these for long periods of time.

Same here, but I wear Costa Del Mar glasses with the 580 Glass lenses. They were $250, but your eyesight is well worth the investment.

I treat sunglasses almost as safety gear as well as something stylish to wear. Spending a lot of time outdoors I usually wear either Serengeti or Maui Jim. Yes they are both expensive brands but so are getting cataracts when you get older.

+1 on the AO aviators. You can't go wrong with them. They work with any attire, suits to shorts. Made well, look good, and inexpensive. The bannett style is very comfortable.

Just be careful with cheap sunglasses. They may not be blocking out the rays the way you would expect. I have owned many cheap sunglasses over the years. I eventually bought a pair of Mawi Jim. It has been, bay far, no close second - the best pair i have ever owned. they are crystal clear, and the rays blocking is just where it should be. i've never owned such a good pair...

Top Bottom