What's new

Indulgence of the night Oct 10 thru Oct 17

The other day, we went to our local wine store and found a boxed wine (forgive me) that was pretty good. It comes in Cabernet and Merlot, the name of it is Carmenet. It was very inexpensive too, 16.00 per box, which comes out to about 4.00 per bottle (4 bottles equivalent per box).

And for 4.00 per bottle, it was pretty good, we figured more like in the 13.00 to 20.00 per bottle range. But I'm no wine expert.

Just my .02 cents and my indulgence for the last two nights.

RELAXING.... with a few glasses of Boru vodka, on the "rock".

full

Last edited by a moderator:
AACJ said:
The other day, we went to our local wine store and found a boxed wine (forgive me) that was pretty good. It comes in Cabernet and Merlot, the name of it is Carmenet. It was very inexpensive too, 16.00 per box, which comes out to about 4.00 per bottle (4 bottles equivalent per box).

Hey, if you like the cheap stuff try Charles Shaw Merlot or Cab, about 2 bucks @ Trader Joe's (hence the term "two buck chuck"). Not bad stuff.
They have em in Virginia:

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/search/VIRGINIA.asp

RVG

Call it a Rob Roy, with Johnny Walker Red, Martini & Rossi Red (Sweet) Vermouth, Agnostura Bitters, and THREE Long Stemmed Maraschino Cherries. Hapi Crackers and some Robertson's Beef Jerkie on the side!

reginald-van-gleason said:
Hey, if you like the cheap stuff try Charles Shaw Merlot or Cab, about 2 bucks @ Trader Joe's (hence the term "two buck chuck"). Not bad stuff.
They have em in Virginia:

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/search/VIRGINIA.asp

RVG

Yeah, I know about 2 buck Chuck, I just don't want to drive to Northern Virginia. I HATE that DC traffic, the congestion plus everyone is more important than me up there, cutting me off, not using their signals, speeding recklessly... and I always loose a couple of hairs while driving, extremely stressfull.

Notice though that I did not use the word cheap, I think cheap is something that is not well made and lacks some or all quality that is keen to that particular product in question. I did use the term inexpensive, something can be inexpensive yet well made and have some or all of the qualities I desire in the given product, in this case wine. It was a VERY inexpensive wine that tasted good for being about 4.00 a bottle, but not cheap. If you talk about MD 20/20 or Thunderbird, now that's cheap. As for 2 buck Chuck, I have yet to try it, but I hear it's a pretty good inexpensive wine as well.....

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative about my definitions, so please don't take this as an angry reply. I do like your suggestion about the 2 buck Chuck as I have heard about it from many other sources as well, so thanks for the suggestion.

Your right, Art, "cheap" is not the right word to use here, "affordable" or "value" would have been better, although I only meant "cheap" in the positive sense, which is the way I use it most ("Hey, they are selling that car real cheap!" or "I got a cheap price for that watch!" etc, etc.)

Didn't know you were that far from a TJ's. but if you pass by one certainley pick up a bottle or four.

I am definitely not a wine expert, but I know what I like, and for 2 dollars a bottle, Charles Shaw Merlot is an excellent value... I don't know that I would call it a really good wine, but its much more agreeable than a lot of wines I have tasted that cost 5 times as much.

RVG

It's a warm afternoon here in the Ozark Mtns. of Arkansas. I'm having a gin & tonic, my favorite summer beverage.
I prefer Plymouth or Boodles gin (sorry, Ron) with lime and a dash of Peychaud's with frozen tonic water cubes. I wonder how Peychaud's survived Katrina, btw. Does anyone know?
And speaking of bitters... I like a dash of orange bitters in my martinis. If anyone needs any I buy it by the case from Fee's and would happily forward you a bottle.
Enjoy your evening, gents...

I am a serious amateur chef, and this time of year I start trying stuff out in advance of the various holiday meals I am going to cook later this year. Today for dessert it was a classic linzertorte - an amazing confection of hazelnut/almond shortbread crust, raspberry jam, and a lattice top. :drool: Just divine with a glass of vintage port.

Top Bottom