What's new

Indulgence of the Night - June 09

well, still daytime, but hey:

proxy.php

A nice sweet potato shochu, rocks.

Thanks man, but it's not actually a bonsai (or beonjae, here in Korea)--it's a form of decorative ginseng they call "insam benjamin" here (not sure if that's related to its Western name or not). I've had it for years, though, and it's grown a ton.

I have to prune it pretty carefully, but it's nowhere *near* as high maintenance as a beonjae.

Thanks man, but it's not actually a bonsai (or beonjae, here in Korea)--it's a form of decorative ginseng they call "insam benjamin" here (not sure if that's related to its Western name or not). I've had it for years, though, and it's grown a ton.

Thanks for the correction (not sarcasm :smile:)

Regardless, it's a really cool plant.

While cooking: Hendricks gin and tonic

Then: stuffed, rolled, grilled flank steak with prosciutto de Parma and provolone, accompanied by lettuce from the garden, grilled corn, and grilled garlic scapes.

Accompaniment - a great bottle of 2008 Argentinian Malbec

I too had Calzone today. Jerk Chicken in fact. And the best part was the Left Hand Brewing Company Milk Stout that went down with it. UM UM GOOD!

Then: stuffed, rolled, grilled flank steak with prosciutto de Parma and provolone, accompanied by lettuce from the garden, grilled corn, and grilled garlic scapes.

Nice!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I'm going to have to stop reading this section. :drool:

Which knife did you use to get those pinwheels sliced so perfectly?

And a great choice on the wine. Outside of Cahors, Argentina rules for Malbec. (Bodegas Weinert?)

Tonight I enjoyed a Padron 5000 while walking off some delicious fish tacos (red snapper) with Lola, the giant poodle dog.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Strat, What's that LE thats hiding on the bottom?

Edit: after looking back at the first page I realized it was another HdM those were 2003s correct?

Last edited:
Strat, What's that LE thats hiding on the bottom left?

You have a very good eye, Quan. That's my very last Hoyo de Monterrey torpedo out of a box of 25 that I had gotten several years ago. They are among the best I have ever had -- maybe THE best.

EDIT: Correct. That was the second to last one! :biggrin1:

That looks excellent! It looks a lot like a recipe in the newest edition of Cooks Illustrated, but you have better pictures.

Porterhouse steaks (certified angus). Salt and pepper an hour before cooking and garlic infused butter while on the grill. The picture does not really do them justice. They came out great -- nice way to end the weekend.

While cooking: real daiquiris (Rum, syrup, lime, shaken, up)

Cuban-style pork shoulder. 7 hours of slow grill roasting goodness.
Tostones
Black beans and rice
Mojo sauce (not shown)

I can't tell you how freakin' good this was. The skin was the ultimate guilty pleaure. :drool: It's a miracle I am not 300 pounds.

I picked up these two beauties while visiting friends in Baltimore. The Glenmorangie is finished in a Port Cask and the Glen Elgin is cask strength at 59.6%!

These are two new ones for me and I am looking forward to both!

proxy.php

The Elgin is very nice straight, but when you cut it to about 40% it really opens up and is fantastic.

Sorry I've been absent this weekend -- flew out to Indy for a Coldplay concert with my brother and spent the rest of the weekend doing chores for my mom.

Tonight I'm mixing a Manhattan. The usual.. 5:2 RR Rye to Cinzano, agnostura, drink at a contemplative pace.

Top Bottom