What's new

Indulgence of the night Feb. 20 thru 26

Glenlivet 12 year.........yummy!!!!!!!!! This was my first scotch and fell in love from the first sip. Question for those with experience.......is the 18year that much better?

gage0921 said:
Glenlivet 12 year.........yummy!!!!!!!!! This was my first scotch and fell in love from the first sip. Question for those with experience.......is the 18year that much better?

It is better... but not "that" much better :tongue: If you like glenlivet - try glenfiddich.... I personally prefer glenfiddich. The standard 12 year is good stuff, and the multiple wood 15 year is superb as well!

gage0921 said:
I was hopeing to find a irish whiskey that is worth a damn.....being a mick and all.

Bushmills, Jameson, Red Breast, etc.... or if you are feeling wealthy, and want a glass full of heaven - my personal favorite..... Middleton Very Rare.

gage0921 said:
I was hopeing to find a irish whiskey that is worth a damn.....being a mick and all.
Go for the good stuff, Tullimore Dew. You'll never find a smoother Irish than the Dew..:w00t:
With dinner, St. Amante 2001 Zinfandel with Omaha Steaks Sirloin steak.

Tonights indulgence was wonderful. Homemade cheeseburgers with garlic and Lawry's Lemon Pepper. And 5 hours with my two youngest daughters. Today, life is good.

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Finally polished off my last bottle of Lagavulin. I'm not much of a Scotch fan, but this one I have always enjoyed. I think the bottle lasted two years, to give an indication of how often I approach it. I recall paying $32 for it- now the cheapest store around gets double. Maybe I should stick with other drinks.

ouch said:
Finally polished off my last bottle of Lagavulin. I'm not much of a Scotch fan, but this one I have always enjoyed. I think the bottle lasted two years, to give an indication of how often I approach it. I recall paying $32 for it- now the cheapest store around gets double. Maybe I should stick with other drinks.

Maybe it's time to discover, or rediscover, bourbon. I loved Scotch for a long time, but slowly lost my taste and appreciation for peat. Bourbon, at least for me, is easier drinking (and usually much less expensive.) I'm working on a bottle of Elijah Craig right now and really enjoy it neat or with a couple cubes of ice.

I still have a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 (still my fav), Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish (not bad), Glenfiddich (great bottle, OK Scotch), and Ardbeg (excellent, but way peaty). Hands down, the best Scotch I've ever tried is Caol Ila. In spite of my dislike of peat, which this has, I really enjoy it. I think it has enough richness and sweetness to offset the peat and smoke.

ouch

I don't need any help with wine, beer, vodka, or tequila, but I'll confess to being lost regarding most hard liquor. Bourbon is great, though. There are many single barrel bourbons of note, but I prefer Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve. They have the added benefit of being a wonderful addition to any barbecue sauce!

While grilling some steaks and sausage I had a glass of Remy Martin VSOP:tongue_sm After dinner some glenlivet for the second night in a row:biggrin:

Going with a nice Padron Cigar tonight after work gents. Meeting some business associates at a Cigar Bar after work.

ouch

Shermdog said:
Going with a nice Padron Cigar tonight after work gents. Meeting some business associates at a Cigar Bar after work.

Though I have cut back drastically, and much prefer pipe tobacco, I still know enough about them to say without equivocation that Padron makes one of the finest cigars extant, particularly their Anniversario edition. Great choice!

Prices of scotch whisky older than 12 years have gone up dramtically in the past two years. This is the result of the scotch whisky industry underestimating the demand for older scotch 15-20 years ago. Lagavulin, being 16 years old, falls into this category. It's too bad really. Macallan 18 used to be reasonably priced as did Lagavulin. Then Macallan introduced a 15 year old in the US to split the difference so to speak, as prices rose. Then they dropped the 15 year old and substituted a "Cask Strength" whisky without an age statement that is more expensive than the 12 year old. BTW, their Fine Oak line, relatively new, is excellent and has less of a sherried taste than the regular products. A 15 year old is available in that line but it is expensive.

Ken

ouch

Last night was the year's first round of corned beef and cabbage. Some good rye bread and mustard, and simple food doesn't get any better. To accompany? America's first microbrewery- Yeungling. For the price of a Bud, I had a real beer.

I have my home-corned beef curing as we speak - it takes a little work, but the flavor is so superior to the pre-bought stuff that you can never go back. It should be finished curing for Friday's festivities.

ouch

My bday fell on a weekday this year, so I had to wait until the weekend to celebrate. My wife threw me a surprise party, where some friends and I shared the following.

Top Bottom