What's new

Indulgence of the Night - December 08

Best variation on a Hot Toddy I've ever made.

Temple of Heaven Gunpowder Green Tea from specialteas
Wild Turkey 101
Juice of half a lemon
good squeeze of honey

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Shrimp, three ways.

Butterfly shrimp with bacon- Dipped in egg, wrapped in bacon, shallow fried, served on a bed of sauted onions with sweet and sour sauce.

Chow har kew- Batter dipped, fried, sauteed with bok choy, dried mushroom, auricula, with oyster sauce.

Coral shrimp- Dredged in water chestnut flour, fried crisp, served over sauteed watercress with blazing szechuan sauce.

Brown rice.
Xiaguan Baoyan brick.

Earlier this evening I smoked a bowl of C&D Elegant Emu from my beautiful Calabash pipe. Emu left a nice tingling sensation underneith my tongue. Overall somewhat spicey. I am really getting into calabash pipes. I know most think they look goofy but come on, if the were goofy, would Sherlock have smoked one?

DL

ouch

Roast 5 lbs beef bones at 450 for 30 min. Add rough cut onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme; continue to roast an additional 30 min. Transfer to stock pot. Remove most of fat from roasting pan and deglaze over high heat, scraping up burnt bits. Add to stock pot, cover with cold water, bring to bare simmer and cook without boiling for seven hours.

Slice and cook as many onions as you can find in butter very slowly until fully carmelized. Deglaze with brandy. Add strained beef stock to onions and simmer.

Place hunk of dry, crusty bread in overproof crock, add onions and stock, cover with Gruyere and broil until bubbling.

Onion soup.

Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island Brewery.

I got this in a Secret Santa trade on a homebrew forum. I have to say, it is absolutely amazing. Its definately a sipper. I've been drinking on it for about 35 min now. Dark, heavy, slightly smoky. A lot of dried fruit character. This beer really opens up when it warms. With 13% ABV, it has quite a kick after 12 oz too!

ouch

I hate winter but love winter food. Nothing like having the oven cranking all day, and a big vat of stock simmering away on the range.

Chicken and barley soup.
Roast chicken, yukon golds, and brussels sprouts.

last night was Chinese, tonight Indian:

First, the obligatory Manhattan (not really Indian)

Tandoori-style Chicken
Basmati Rice
Peas with curry and cream

Do you hire out? Would like to have you come about 5 nights per week and cook dinner for us. Those menus you have been mentioning sound nothing short of wonderful!

Out for dinner last night:

prosciutto wrapped buffalo mozzarella on crostini
Pollo Picante
Lemon and almond mascarpone cheesecake

a rather splendid montepulciano d'abruzzo on the wine front

Theakston's Bitter and Bombardier later on followed by a couple of Cosmopolitans.

Lovely

the chaoir is back! Good luck on the house showing.

for me it was pints of bombardier and lagavulin 16 at a family party

Pints of Lagavulin 16? :w00t::w00t: Holy Smokes!

I recently tried the Talisker 18. I am afraid I will never go back to the 10.

And because it was inexpensive, and I am frugal, I just discovered Cherry Kijafa - if you like sweet drinks as an after dinner apperitif

Out for dinner last night:

prosciutto wrapped buffalo mozzarella on crostini
Pollo Picante
Lemon and almond mascarpone cheesecake

a rather splendid montepulciano d'abruzzo on the wine front

Theakston's Bitter and Bombardier later on followed by a couple of Cosmopolitans.

Lovely

My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. Sorry I was unable to attend.

Maybe next time. :tongue_sm

A Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown after a long day at work.

I love Leinenkugal's Berry weis . We (as in friends and I) discovered it half -*** by accident from the local beer distributor! Good company! Several wonderful afternoons last summer relaxing and having a conversation in the good ol' lawn chairs with a chilled glass of Leinenkugel's! Cheers!:001_smile

Still trying to ward off a cold so after a several rounds with my Vick's Personal Steam Inhaler (which is a very, very cool product) I made myself a couple of Hot Toddies made with Extra Fine Sencha, Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon, honey and fresh lemon juice. These weren't as good as the ones I made the other day with Temple of Heaven Gunpowder, but still not bad.*

*I'm not really a Hot Toddy fan and I know making them with tea makes them not really a Hot Toddy, but now that I've started making them with green tea, the drink is really growing on me. The green tea version is so incredibly soothing.

Curious... I never pictured bourban/green tea to be a good combination.
I generally stick with boiling water, gin and lemon, but I'll give that one a shot next time I feel a cold coming on.

I love Leinenkugal's Berry weis . We (as in friends and I) discovered it half -*** by accident from the local beer distributor! Good company! Several wonderful afternoons last summer relaxing and having a conversation in the good ol' lawn chairs with a chilled glass of Leinenkugel's! Cheers!:001_smile

The Leinenkugel brewery (well, before they started brewing what I'm assuming is the majority of their beer in Milwaukee) is about an hour away from my house. Matt (analog_kid) who has been MIA for a while, is also personal friends of the Leinenkugel family. Good stuff!

In preparation for tomorrow's over-indulgence, I've got a 12lb turkey brining as I type. My wife and I are hosting our first and last Christmas out of our little 2BR apartment. Hey, I'm willing to try anything once. :biggrin:

Wish us luck!

After finally getting all of my pre-Christmas prep done, I was able to sneak out to the garage with a book and my corn cob pipe. I was smoking an aromatic blend called "Magic Flute" from JustForHim.com, which was actually very mild and nice. "Magic Flute" is a strawberry/coconut aromatic blend, which has a great room note and surprising a very non-offensive, mild tobacco taste. It burned cool and dry and did not bite the tongue (again, surprising). By the end of the bowl, I was pretty much frozen through, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Now, it's time for a Boddington's Ale.

Top Bottom