What's new
  • The Annual Sue Moore Auction is now running from 19 - 21 October. Every year proceeds from this auction and all monies raised go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Please take a look at the items that are available this year, as there is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Indulgence of the night 9/12 - 9/18

B-day, special occasion booze..... a pure ray of heaven in a glass. Middleton VERY rare.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

rtaylor61 said:
Damn, Joel,

And here I sit...drinking cheap whiskey!

Randy

For what it is worth.... I got one HELL of a deal on that bottle - would have to have been a fool not to jump all over it. I much prefer quality over quantity.... for how often I have drank from that bottle - it should last 5+ years!

I have a tremendous amount of booze, and love the flavors, scents and varieties, but I am not a quantity drinker at all.... I RARELY drink more than an ounce of hard liquor in a day.

Finally got over to the Wright's and got my bitters.. So, Manhattans on the house! Ol' Granddad, Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth, my beloved Agnostura Bitters, and three-stemless maraschino cherries. (DON'T ASK!) :mad5:

Tonight is old fashion night, Ancient Age 10 Star with Peychaud's Bitters. Seems to go better with the fruit. Though Peychaud's Bitters works great with manhattans as well.

Reg-

Do you know what region that Scapa is from? I can make out Orkney on the bottle, but my Scottish geography is a little rusty.

As for the IOTD, it'll be a bottle of Mississippi Mud, if that whets my appetite, I might move on to some Manhattans.

-Nick

Aye, Johnny! Jump in the glass. JW Red Label, M&R Red Vermouth, Agnostura Bitters, 2 (ARGH! :mad: ) STEMLESS maraschino cherries, six fresh ice cubes in a double old rocks glass. Deluxe Philadelphia Roll Sushi and some Seaweed Salad.

Nick said:
Reg-

Do you know what region that Scapa is from? I can make out Orkney on the bottle, but my Scottish geography is a little rusty.

-Nick

Hey Nick. The Scapa Distillery is located in the Islands of Orkney north of Mainland Scotland (reading this from the box -- I ain't no scottish expert). It has a very intriguing history as a distillery, apparently it was some sort of safe haven for ships in WW1 and WW2.
I purchased some from a store on sutter st., just in front of the sutter/stockton garage near union square. They have a website:

http://www.whiskyshopusa.com

The salesman recommended it, he was wearing a kilt and had a thick scottish burr, so who was I to question his knowledge of single malts! In a moment of weakness, I dished out $48.00 and bought the damn thing. I haven't been dissapointed. It has a wonderful smokey, lemony, honey flavor to it. Despite being produced in a region with heavy peat moss water, its not peaty (and I love the peat!) but its quite excellent overall. He recommended drinking it with just a drop or two of water to bring out the aroma. Its a neat place to visit to get some whisky knowledge, if you are ever downtown.

RVG

Reg,

Thanks for the report. It definitely looks nice, and I too am not a 'burning tire' peat fan, which is why I was interested in the region. I'm not in the city often, but next time I am, I know one place I'll have to swing by.

Thanks much,

-Nick

guenron said:
Argh they are Soooo good!
No wonder the indigenous populants sold Manhattan Island for shells and beads! Those clever Dutch must have given them Manhattans Straight Up :a54: !

You mean there's another way to drink a Manhattan other than straight up??? :eek:

I jest, of course, not completely. I made the mistake ONCE of not specifying up to the kindly bar lady and couldn't believe the disaster in a cup that was handed to me.

It is getting closer to that tourist-ridden drunken extravaganza that is Octoberfest. Tonight it was Sam Adams Octoberfest at the bar after 18 holes of golf. Not a true festbier, but easy going down. I'll have to hit the local store to see what is in stock - Paulaner, Spaten, ....

Top Bottom