What's new

Indulgence of the Night, 12/27/05 - 1/3/06

I have a feeling I'll be indulging quite a bit this week, but tonight it's probably going to be a visit to the bar for some Chimay after the hockey game.

atnight said:
I have a feeling I'll be indulging quite a bit this week, but tonight it's probably going to be a visit to the bar for some Chimay after the hockey game.
A ha! Another Belgian Beer fan! Excellent....

The Capitals' defense played like hell tonight, so it ended up being about 4 Chimays. Yes- Belgian Ales- Beer with complexity!

Tonight was a tasty, buttery, very smooth and just slightly floral (to my crude, unsophisticated tongue) 1994 Bordeaux from Chateau Lachaud.

full

-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Joel made good on his threat to invite himself over for New Years, and put a dent in my booze. :mad: :wink:

full

We started out with some uncut, unfiltered William Larue Weller (121.9 proof). This stuff is very smooth, very flavorful. I'm a big fan.

full

The prospect of taking a picture each time we had something became daunting, so we just lined up the evidence for a catch all pic. From left to right: William Larue Weller, Jack Daniel's Tribute to Tennessee, Jefferson's Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 Year, Talisker, Middleton Very Rare.

full

A little prep pic of the 97 Roederer Cristal, and the 95 Dom.

full

This stuff drinks like water.

full

I don't know if this is so much indulgence as it is unnecessary. :wink:

Happy New Year everybody!

-Nick

Nick said:
full

I don't know if this is so much indulgence as it is unnecessary. :wink:

Happy New Year everybody!

-Nick

Nice of Joel to help rid your cabinets of your spirits. I won't touch Everclear anymore, just a few drops too much will put my *** in a sling! Is there something that settled in the Clear Spring Grain Alcohol bottle or is it just the photo? It looks like there is some black gunk inside the bottle just above the label.

This week:

My sister in law and her boyfriend came down from Northern Va for our after Christmas party and I asked them to stop by a Trader Joes and pick me up a mixed case of the Two Buck Chuck and the Merlow (Charles Shaw).

It was the hit of the party. My wife had everything set up for Margaritas, Martinis and Cosmopolitans. Liquor, fruits, glasses, sale, olives and all. I think she was quite upset when everyone jumped over to my case for a little tasting. Unfortunatley, I only have a few bottles left because everyone liked it so much.

Nice pics though!

AACJ said:
Nice of Joel to help rid your cabinets of your spirits. I won't touch Everclear anymore, just a few drops too much will put my *** in a sling! Is there something that settled in the Clear Spring Grain Alcohol bottle or is it just the photo? It looks like there is some black gunk inside the bottle just above the label.

This week:

My sister in law and her boyfriend came down from Northern Va for our after Christmas party and I asked them to stop by a Trader Joes and pick me up a mixed case of the Two Buck Chuck and the Merlow (Charles Shaw).

It was the hit of the party. My wife had everything set up for Margaritas, Martinis and Cosmopolitans. Liquor, fruits, glasses, sale, olives and all. I think she was quite upset when everyone jumped over to my case for a little tasting. Unfortunatley, I only have a few bottles left because everyone liked it so much.

Nice pics though!
Art,

Yeah, he's a great guy in that regard. :biggrin:

The Clear Spring is virtually 100% alcohol (95%) so there's not much in the bottle that could settle. I think that's actually a distorted refletion of one of the stove burners in the background, as the bottle is unopened, and 100% clear. It's not a smooth bottle, so I think it was able to pick up and distort some stuff from the background.

As to the Everclear, I don't drink the stuff either (except on rare occasion) as I can get in plenty of trouble with 80 proof booze. It's more of a novelty since the 190 proof version can't be obtained in this state legally.

That Two Buck Chuck sure is a great value. 90% of the time I'll take a bottle of Martini & Rossi Asti over Dom. I think that's where booze buying gets fun, when you can find the diamond hiding out in the value bin.

-Nick

Nick,
Just to save you the trouble, if you have any Cristal left over, please forward it to My Buddy the Cat.. He likes that swill...
As to the Ever Clear, don't you lads drink the ol' Purple Flaming Jesus? That one drink alone led to more, You're gonna have a what? weddings than one can conceive! (All PUNS unintended of course :glare: )

I am not a huge Champagne drinker, so I usually consume a lot of Belgian Abbey Ales on New Years. Started with Petrus Tripel (7.5%ABV), moved on to St. Bernardus 12 (10%ABV), and then it got real hazy until this morning....

Had a spare moment before the family was ready, so here is tonite's repast. Classic Cobb salad (with the wonderful Maytag blue cheese), Scotto's famous honey-wheat bread, and chocolate mousse.

guenron said:
Nick,
Just to save you the trouble, if you have any Cristal left over, please forward it to My Buddy the Cat.. He likes that swill...
As to the Ever Clear, don't you lads drink the ol' Purple Flaming Jesus? That one drink alone led to more, You're gonna have a what? weddings than one can conceive! (All PUNS unintended of course :glare: )
Ron,

Your buddy the cat has great taste. I'd love to give him a pet, and scratch his neck, but I'm afraid my diamond studded silk gloves are at the cleaner's. :wink:

As for the engine degreaser, I've seen god with regular whiskey. I have NOO desire to do such again with a flaming Jesus. A drop of everclear and a gallon of OJ is enough for me!

-Nick

Beef ribs smoked just right! A couple of generously large Rolling Rock lagers from the crystal clear water of Latrobe PA...:smile:

Top Bottom