What's new

Indulgence of the Night, 12/17/05 - 12/25/05

We're getting lazy with the Indulgence of the Night Thread... This one should get us through Christmas and Hanukkah.

Tonite, it is eggnog made with Ron Medellin from Columbia. Good for us sick folks...

Good ol'e sam adams for me......me and the the little man are watching the new Willy wonka(crazy movie) so its just a mellow relaxing evening.

My noteworthy indulgence of the night was actually yesterday night. It was a 1990 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon. I tried my darnedest to save the cork so I could snap a pic of the even stain on the cork that reached almost to the other end (it was perfect drinking time for this cab), but the waiter snuck it away right before dessert when I was preoccupied. Caymus is without a doubt one of the nicest vineyards in the valley.

Tonight was a Maker's Manhattan up, with a maraschino cherry that had a stem so long, it'd make Ron blush!

-Nick

Still feeling the after affects of my cold. Tonite it is a big snifter of Cardenal Mendoza brandy
IMG_1061_1_1.JPG

tonight-

Girone Dei Folli - Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 2002.

one of my favorite grapes in an inexpensive bottle ($12) from the local "Italian Store". They used to carry Proraso (even have a cardboard sign for it) and I've badgered them to bring it back.

Johnnie Walker Red Label, Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth, Agnostura Bitters and Two Long-stemmed Maraschino Cherries for another great Rob Roy on the rocks.. Planters Dry Roasted (Unsalted) Peanuts for the Munchie du jour!:w00t:

I'm still a little fuzzy on the details, but I had to share my IotN before I fell asleep and forgot all about it.

Tonight I went to Edo Sushi on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills (Los Angeles area). It was absolutely the way sushi is supposed to be. Sitting at the sushi bar, joking with the sushi chef, and the other patrons, having no clue what's being put in front of you, eating it, and loving it all. I went with a friend who knows the sushi chef, Charlie, and I think we ended up with more food that was free "Here, you like this..." than stuff we actually paid for. We had Yellow Tail Sushi, Blue Fin Sushi, Albacore Sashimi with horseradish so potent, two people on the other end of the bar actually had their head explode, and had to be wheeled out on gurneys. And all of the tuna was high quality. One of the chefs pulled out a particular cut of blue fin for us, and Charlie had him put it back, and made sure we got some belly instead.

They kept shoving freebies like sea bass, and gyoza, and spicy tuna hand rolls down our gullets, and in return, we kept plying them with sapporo and sake (of which I had my fair share). The cucumber and daikon were super fresh, and sweet, and the oranges we had for dessert were the sweetest and most succulent I ever had.

Wow. I'm just going to go lie down and overdose on tuna and Sapporo now.

-Nick

Cooked my usual Christmas Day repast of roast duck with port wine glaze and Lyonnaise potatoes cooked with some of that splendid duck fat. Finished with some nice port, and later a Westmalle Abbey Dubbel for those who are fans of Belgian beer.

Top Bottom