What's new

Indulgence of the Night 11/21 - 11/27

Ah! It would seem with Thanksgving passing this week no one indulged, but over-indulged! So I thought I would belatedly post a picture of our Thanksgiving Dinner Guest.

full

20.33 lb Fresh Hen Turkey​
Stuffed with bread stuffing containing:
  • celery,
  • onion,
  • reconstituted raisins,
  • fresh mushrooms,
  • roasted Italian chestnuts,
  • fresh parsley,
  • rubbed French sage,
  • rosemary,
  • and thyme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bird, Ron. I didn't take any pix, but I served up the following to 25 hungry guests:

2 - 14lb Turkeys, brined overnight and roasted to perfection
Stuffing with caramelized onions, apples, and bacon
Cornbread dressing with Andouille sausage (spicy!)
Sweet potato casserole with pecan struesel
Mashed potatoes with way too much butter and cream
Green beans
Cranberry sauce (of course)

And for dessert (all homemade):
Linzer Torte
Pumpkin pie
Coconut custard pie
Apple pie

Still eating leftovers.... :wink:

Scotto said:
Nice bird, Ron. I didn't take any pix, but I served up the following to 25 hungry guests:

2 - 14lb Turkeys, brined overnight and roasted to perfection
Stuffing with caramelized onions, apples, and bacon
Cornbread dressing with Andouille sausage (spicy!)
Sweet potato casserole with pecan struesel
Mashed potatoes with way too much butter and cream
Green beans
Cranberry sauce (of course)

And for dessert (all homemade):
Linzer Torte
Pumpkin pie
Coconut custard pie
Apple pie

Still eating leftovers.... :wink:
So you have some Cajuns in the bloodline! Any Linzer torte left over? Did the maker use raspbery preserves or jam? If preserves then Package and Mail.:drool:

Preserves, of course.

But alas, the torte was consumed happily, with loads of kirsch-spiked schlag on the side :biggrin:

Scotto said:
Preserves, of course.

But alas, the torte was consumed happily, with loads of kirsch-spiked schlag on the side :biggrin:
Aghhh!:w00t: I can smell the cocoa now. Ach du lieber!

Indulgence of the day, this time. Hot Mulled Apple Cider. Those in forever-warm climates can't appreciate the calming effects of a cup of warm mulled cider, sitting with the family in front of the fireplace on a cold day....

For those who are interested:

2 quarts apple cider
1/2 tsp. coriander seed
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1/4 tsp. whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, in pieces
2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
4 strips of fresh lemon peel

Toast the spices in a saucepan for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add cider, sugar, and lemon peel, bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, removing any scum that floats to the top. Strain through a coffee filter and enjoy!

That's a beautiful looking bird Ron!

For turkey day, we went out (again) to one of our favorite restaurants, Fresh Cream (God do I sound like a walking advertisement or what).

They had a special prix fixe turkey day menu along with their regular menu.

We had:

An order of Lobster Ravioli for the table... Not on the set turkey day menu, but you can't go wrong with their Lobster Ravioli, described by their menu as: "Raviolis of lobster with lobster butter, black and gold caviar"... The caviar is caviar, so it was really worthless, but darn if this stuff ain't decadent.

The T-Day menu consisted of (to the best of my hazy recollection):
Fresh baked pumpkin bread (wow).
Butternut Squash soup with a slice of poached pear and roasted chestnut.
A salad with mesclun greens, fresh walnuts, cranberries, and some sort of vinaigrette.
Super moist breast meat turkey with a little dark meat (I guess they have to do something with it).
A yam (cooked perfectly)
Mashed potatoes (pumped out of a piping bag with the star tip so they look fancy)
Cranberry sauce made with fresh cranberries
Brussels Sprouts Almandine (French, go figure)
Homemade pumpkin pie.

To go with the bird, we had a bottle of Rombauer Chardonnay 2004 (gasp, they're serving 2004s already). I also had a Woodford Reserve Manhattan up.

I wish I had remembered the specifics regarding the menu items, as it really was amazing. The thing I like about this place is that it's French, but everyone is extremely helpful and attentive.

-Nick

Greetings Nick!
What a splendid menu! If you ever end up on the east coast (Pennsylvania in particular) for Thanksgiving, we used to go to a great restaurant in New Hope, PA on the Delaware River, west of Washington's Crossing. The Chez Odette, noted also for its martini menu, always had a fantastic prix fixe Thanksgiving spread.

Top Bottom