What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

Where did you get the Topaz Shaving Creams from? I live in India and I can't locate them anywhere, neither in shops nor online. Worse still is that there's no website for Topaz in general, let alone their shaving cream. Google search yields only one result and this post is it.

Review of Topaz Lemon Shaving cream

Topaz is a well known brand of blades in India, I’ve seen my grandfather use topaz blades about 20 years ago but I never knew they made creams as well. I picked up this tube of cream last evening from a shaving supply shop for Rupees 30 (45 cents). I found out that Topaz and Laser are owned by the same company (Laser shaving products).

Disclaimer : I had already got myself a BBS in the morning and since it was only 8 hours since the last shave but I wanted to review this therefore I whisked up a lather and used a razor without the blade. i.e. It was a dummy shave (does this term actually exist?) . I did not use any pre-shave or post-shave treatments.

Equipment used –

Topaz Lemon shaving cream

Yaqi 2 Band badger brush

Yintal Razor (without a blade)

Here is the presentation and packing of the tube. I am seeing some ingredients for very first time – Tacopheryl Acetate (Or Vitamin E), Aloe Barbedensis (Or Aloe Vera).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Soaked the brush in hot water for 10 minutes, I did not intend to bowl lather and decided to palm lather.

First impression – there was a fair bit of air inside the tube and the cream is very runny. A light squeeze of the tube and a larger than usual quantity of cream blobs out to my plam as if the tube had diarrhea.

proxy.php

Decided to start with a well drained brush. Start to whisk up lather and although this cream started off dry and start adding water as I progressed. I was surprised with the volume of lather which was produced. Kept adding water and kept working up the lather and it just kept going until I was able to cover my palm, back of hand, entire forearm in lather and still had enough lather left to whisk up my face. I will let the pictures do the talking.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Quality of lather was excellent – thick, cushioning and did not dry out my face after the shave.

Smell – This is the most unique lemony scent. All the lemon creams I’ve tried are either sharp or smell like dishwash liquid. This one smelled almost edible!

The mellow smell along with the thick and spikey (or peaky) lather makes feels like you have LEMON MERINGUE PIE on your face.

I used this cream again the next morning for a proper 2 pass shave and I did get a great shave. The cream was slick and the razor did glide effortlessly. Skin did not feel dry and a couple of hours after the shave my skin still feels supple.

Verdict – This cream just hits the ball out of the stadium with the volume of lather it produces, it’s smell, ingredients and post shave feel. If you can get a tube, try it out blindly.

Just used vicco today. The one with the turmeric in it. Amazing stuff. I don't know why I used to hate it.

Too bad I can no longer buy this here without paying for the 200g toothpaste.

I tried the Trigodon Shaving Soap in the Woodlands scent. Great easy lather that was slick and lasting. The scent was super wonderful like walking through the forest in the morning due or after the rain. Great stuff. The customer service is super supportive. I might be getting my hands on the White Dunes that is not listed on the Amazon link.

ROX comes in 2 varieties, lemon and menthol. The lemon is a very nice sweet lemon pie scent whereas the menthol had no discernible smell. The review is for the menthol version.
View attachment 462352View attachment 462353

I got absolutely no cooling with this cream either during or after the shave. But as a shaving cream it does a decent job. This lather whips up easily and holds a lot of water. It is very slick and provides good glide for the blade.

After taking a portion of the lemon cream I passed the rest of the tube on to a B&B friend. I have had 6 shaves with the lemon which was equal in performance to the menthol, with the added advantage of a great scent.

I would recommend the lemon cream for 2 reasons-

1. It is a good performer.

2. It cost Rs.30(50 cents) for 125grams! You owe it to yourself to try it!

Note- I'm sorry I can't put up a lather picture as I have enough cream left only for one more shave.
₹30 for 120 gms is insane

Gentlemen, this thread is why I enjoy the entire B&B site! A scant six months ago I was happy with just my trusty Proraso. Thanks to continually updated reviews like these by chinmusic (great handle, by the way...you must be a cricket player), I've learned so much about what else is available elsewhere in the world. I've seen various previous posts about Godrej which piqued my interest, but until I see chinmusic's review I'll reserve judgement on whether or not to buy some.
My Dad spent five or six years as a child in (colonial) India when his father was an engineer for the British government, and has a strong affinity for India. I'd like to treat him to a Godrej shave, but only after you tell us how to properly prepare it!
Keep up the excellent reviews, we are all the richer for them.
Found a tube of the Vi-John two days ago, with a little difficulty. Couldn't find the Blue Stratos.

As it has been reviewed to be not too protective, I thought I'd use four times the amount I normally use.
Didn't work completely, but I'm sure that it was better than if I'd have used the normal amount.
It is slick, and can probably be used brushless as well.

But the smell! Gave me an instant cold. Too much for me. Vaguely like incense and a bit religious-y.
Besides, SWMBO didn't like the smell.
PIF'd it yesterday.

That said, however, others may not have the problem I do.
I am allergic to most perfumes and strong smells. Especially musk type smells. I love the smell of Old Spice, and Old Spice Musk, but I can't use them. They, like most other strongly perfumed creams, give me a running nose, which is why I couldn't use aftershaves for many years..
SWMBO also can not use her fav. perfumes or even creams if I'm around.
Over three decades, after much searching, I've standardised on 4711 as the only aftershave that suits me, although very recently, during sampler testing in a mall, I found that Nivea AS (not the sensitive) also does not give me problems. Immediately bought two bottles.
On the days I already have a cold, I use plain drug store surgical spirit / alcohol as an aftershave. It's available in pharmacies as Surgiclin spirit or Clinic spirit. It's essentially 70% isopropyl alcohol, the same as in many aftershaves, although some manufacturers of aftershave also use denatured spirit. I have oily skin, so it is not likely to do much damage.
If I do not use an aftershave or spirit, my face will itch most of the day.
India is a hot and humid country. Ideal breeding grounds for pathogens, making some kind of antiseptic necessary after a shave.
I know that some people use mild antiseptic creams like Boroline, but most creams are perfumed, and so not for me.
Have you tried Suthol?

Only the neem oil. I haven’t used a shaving cream by them.
I doubt they have a Shaving cream I m checking for the antiseptic liquid indeed for use as aftershave.
I had tried Tea tree oil based post shave cream and it gave me irritation that's why looking for alternatives.
Got my hand on Anherb after shave just recently have go test it out

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-18-11-28-34-188_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-07-18-11-28-34-188_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200721_183054.jpg
    IMG_20200721_183054.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Top Bottom