What's new

India Old spice and US Old spice Comparison.

I have the India version and the US version of old spice aftershave.

Some have commented that the India version smells like thec original old spice formulation.

I only smelled the original formulation as a kid so I don’t really remember exactly how it should smell like. I can only comment on the current India version and the US version.

The India Version is stronger, at first, I thought there was a difference but as I went back and forth with each bottle the fragrances weirdly melded together and I couldn’t tell any difference.

I than had my wife test it out. First impression she thought the US version was softer and the India version was better. As she sampled the scents more, she said they were the same just the US version was softer. Her verdict was they were the same and use whatever is cheaper.

She than had some fun a smeared the India version on both of us.

Lol. Good review. I agree with that assertion. If you want the original, buy some off the bay. It is quite different compared to the current versions. My assessment is that it is much spicier and quite rich. It is much, much more concentrated as well.

Happy Holidays,
Brian

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
At one time there really was a considerable difference, with the Indian version much closer to the Old Spice of yesteryear. But I was disappointed the last time I purchased the Indian version (2017, perhaps?) as it was nearly the same as the USA version in the plastic bottle. If anything, it was more harsh in the opening than the current American version.

(Que background harp music......)

I recall receiving the Old Spice soap on a rope every year, and I know I received a bottle of some kind of Old Spice. I know what Old Spice smelled like, but not well enough to be able to contrast modern OS to earlier iterations.

I know I picked up an Indian Lime Old Spice at an Indian grocery store, but it didn't make any impression on me. I liked Soap Commander's Endurance shave soap, vintage Avon Spicy and modern Family dollar Store (Vie-John) Spice. Stirling's Spice, is a great soap, but my intuition was that it was different from original Old Spice.

One of my favorite aftershave's is a 50/50 mixture of contemporary Old Spice with Florida Water, it brings out the best quality of both splashes.

At one time there really was a considerable difference, with the Indian version much closer to the Old Spice of yesteryear. But I was disappointed the last time I purchased the Indian version (2017, perhaps?) as it was nearly the same as the USA version in the plastic bottle. If anything, it was more harsh in the opening than the current American version.

I believe that's due to the switch by P&G in India. If I recall correctly - for years, P&G subcontracted out the production of Old Spice to an Indian company called Menezes, which had been producing Old Spice under license from Shulton for several decades, and it was still marked with the Shulton branding. At some point (prior to 2017, I believe) P&G cancelled the contract with Menezes, and Indian Old Spice no longer carries the Shulton branding

I've got a few bottles of Old Spice, I've got a modern US version, and I've got two vintage bottles, one of them is a special edition from the late 90s, and the other is from the early 90s. The ones from the 90s are equal in strength, they're both quite strong and they last a lot longer, they're almost like cologne strength. The modern one smells great, it's just that it doesn't last very long, it's very light, which is a problem with a lot of modern aftershaves. All of my vintage bottles of aftershaves last a lot longer than the new ones, and they just seem to be more dense.

A bit off topic: I read some dismiss the newer Spices, but I just love the Old Spice Whitewater. In fact: it has been my go to splash for a long time. Can't imagine not using it. I really ties my shaves together.

When I was a youngster in the 1960s I always purchase Old Spice AS for my father. And when he splashed it on, the scent permeated the entire house. Not so with the Old Spice AS that I purchased a year or so ago. The latter smells much weaker.

Top Bottom