What's new

Independence Day/Canada Day Pif. Custom clone #2 -the BFR

The weather was crappy on Canada Day, so I spent the day in my shop.
The first pic was taken after I remembered I hadn't taken a pic of raw materials, so one of the pieces of metal was already machined when I took this pic. The material I used is solid stainless steel. I don't know the metallurgical properties of the metal. It was given to me by a millwright friend who worked in a pulp mill. He told me it has a service life of 25 years when immersed in caustic soda. It's nasty stuff to machine, but I like the sheen and colour of it when finished. I'm pretty sure it's not going to corrode! My friend says that when a pump is rebuilt, a shaft made of this stuff comes out looking exactly like it did when it went into the pump, 25 years ago.
The name BFR deserves a nod to Elon Musk. He called his big rocket the BFR for obvious reasons. This critter weighs 175 grams on my kitchen scale.
IMG_0047.JPG

Since it was a 1" bar, the diameter had to be turned down:

IMG_0050.JPG

Cutting the grooves:
IMG_0049.JPG

Finished pieces:
The adjuster rod is one piece, as is the body of the handle. Like my other clone, it's a bottom adjust. The head has shims installed. The head is secured to the handle with JB Weld. If the razor gets dropped, or the head otherwise screwed up, the epoxy can be softened by heating and the head replaced. I doubt the handle will suffer any damage from dropping it.
IMG_0051.JPG

The next pic shows the finished BFR, and a modification of the stock handle. I thought that since I had the oem handle left over, I'd turn it into a "shower shaver" handle for those members who like to shave in the shower with a clone. Note that when I cut the oem handle, I found out it's hollow! The pieces are fastened together with JB Weld. I have another oem handle from the first custom clone I made (see my avatar), but I'll be darned if I can find it. It's in my shop somewhere...
IMG_0053.JPG

Here's a pic of what the "shower shaver" handle looks like on a clone:

IMG_0056.JPG

Lastly, here's what I'm giving away:
IMG_0057.JPG

To qualify for the BFR, you must be either a current or past admin (ambassador, steward, mod, owner, etc.). Just my way of saying thanks on behalf of all of us.

To qualify for the shower shaver handle, you must have joined prior to June 1, 2018.
This pif is world wide. I'll pay shipping.

Just say "I'm in". Please state which item you are interested in. I'll let it run for a few days and put post numbers in a hat and let swmbo pull the winning post.

I'm in for the shower shaver handle. I have a clone & can see your handle would be a tremendous improvement over the oem handle.

And thank you for creating a PIF for the administrators of B & B. They do an outstanding job & I'm glad you're recognizing them. Thank you B & B administrators!

I forgot to mention, the shower shaver handle is made from solid 6061 aircraft aluminum. I can't knurl the stainless steel used in the BFR. Knurling is made by cold forming, and since the stainless steel I used in the BFR work hardens terribly, it would destroy my knurling tool.
When swmbo saw the knurling she said, "That looks like it would be great for the callouses on my heels". To which I replied, " With your callouses, I'd have to use titanium, and I can't knurl that stuff...".
I got "the look".

What a great project for a rainy Canada Day and a very generous and thoughtful PIF! As a former steward in the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum I’m in for the BFR.

Thanks for the compliments! I should post a few pics of the goof-ups, scrap pieces, and broken tool bits otherwise you guys might get the impression I know what I'm doing.

A truly outstanding and over the top (in a good way) way to show your appreciation to them.

Nice work!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
To qualify for the BFR, you must be either a current or past admin (ambassador, steward, mod, owner, etc.). Just my way of saying thanks on behalf of all of us.

Nice PIF Rick. Thanks for thinking of us. Not in, but I always enjoy seeing the things you make.

I doubt the handle will suffer any damage from dropping it.

Not so sure about the floor or foot though haha.

EDIT: I am in Rick! BFR! That razor scares me, and oddly, I kinda like that... :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Awesome work and Awesome PIF!
As former Stew of the Beard and Moustache Section I'm in for the BFR!
Thanks for the opportunity!

:a47::a47::a47:

That is awesome workmanship, and an extremely generous PIF.

I don't believe I can sit this one out...please count me in for the BFR. Thank you for the opportunity, and just for your generosity in general - that spirit is what makes B&B such a uniquely wonderful place.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Rick, you’ve outdone yourself! Thanks for the opportunity and for thinking of us.

@ajkel64 , I'll put your name in the BFR hat since you qualify as admin.
Admin folks are welcome to be in on the shower shaver handle too if you're interested.
@mc57 and @ED3054, I don't know if you have been an admin member in the past, so I'll include your names in the shower shaver hat.
@Toothpick can I put your name in the BFR hat?

Last edited:
Top Bottom