What's new

Incoming!

Picked up another Pentax MX, this time in black, to compliment my silver one. Came with a spotless SMC-M 50/f1.7. Camera was well loved with lots of brass showing and a couple matching dings on the prism, but everything works flawlessly including the meter. New seals and it's ready to go.

Legion

Staff member
Another bag for the collection. Scored a Lowepro Pro Roller x100 today. A very cool and clever bag, when I realised all the features it has.

I would have loved this when I used to try and carry all my pro stuff from place to place. These days life is easier and the cameras are lighter, but I still had to give this a home when given the opportunity.

I might use it to transport cases of beer. :lol:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611099-REG/Lowepro_LP36032_PWW_Pro_Roller_x100_Case.html

Another bag for the collection. Scored a Lowepro Pro Roller x100 today. A very cool and clever bag, when I realised all the features it has.

I would have loved this when I used to try and carry all my pro stuff from place to place. These days life is easier and the cameras are lighter, but I still had to give this a home when given the opportunity.

I might use it to transport cases of beer. :lol:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611099-REG/Lowepro_LP36032_PWW_Pro_Roller_x100_Case.html

How much beer (and ice) will you fit in that thing?

Legion

Staff member
I reckon it will fit a slab perfectly. No ice, but the padding should provide insulation.

Lowepro. It's Australian for beer.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Against better judgement, I just finished reading every post in this thread. Some cool stuff, for sure.

Picked up a clean little Yashica MG-1 rangefinder for $5 today! The seller was kind enough to throw in a vintage strap, you know the type, 1960's funky wide strap. Also scored a Nikon SC-28 ttl cable for $1!

Was a good day at the flea market!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Finally got my copy of Dan Winters' book, Road To Seeing. I prepaid back in February for the next printing due in March. Missed out on that because they filled orders in order of date received. Then the next printing came around and somehow my order was not released I. The computer for delivery as paid in full. Well, after receiving emails no less than 3 times stating shipped, then the next day an email saying order delayed, I went to the store and pitched a fit. Well, 10 days later I have my book!

Also brought another old camera back into service today, nothing special was done just picked up a $0.70 vinyl cap to use as a lens cap, because these have no off switch. If there's light it's using the meter. So, some hearing aide batteries and it's ready to rock.

proxy.php

Won another little Konica c35 on that auction site for the princely sum of $1.25. Of course it's like $12 to ship it...but it says it's working in the description but missing parts, which I just so happen to have!

I just picked up to items, one kind of necessary and one just for fun. The kind of necessary is a first dedicated camera bag and i went for the retrospective 10 series to use for the camera, flash and a few lenses.

For the fun part, I also bought a simple umbrella lighting kit from lastolite. I was getting tired of unpredictable results from bouncing the flash off walls etc and am really excited to try it out!

What type of triggers did you get (or do you have)?

You'll like using brollys! Just don't clamp the nut down on the shaft any more than enough to just hold it, they will collapse and dent.

Well, i have a nikon camera and flash so they can talk to each other without triggers. I find that it works very well as long as one stays within the obvious restrictions (line of sight and reasonable ambient light situation). The pocket wizard triggers look really tempting but they are very expensive!

Thanks for the advice! I have already gotten some visible marks from the clamping nut. -It seems so flimsy unless one drives the nut down really tight...

I too use Nikon and CLS or SU4 mode in my SB800. Coupled with my D200 it is nearly as flexible as using triggers. I bought the Cactus V5 triggers and have been very happy with them. Great for the price. I shoot mostly in manual mode and like to hide lights behind corners and such, so the triggers are nice. Also for non nikon manual flashes which are cheaper.

Last edited:
Yes it would be very cool to hide the flash and the cactus system has received some nice reviews. For how i shoot most of the time i can probably get away with a manual only flash trigger for more detailed work combined with a more powerful flash with ttl-mode to use for bouncing.

proxy.php

Picked up a type-F focusing screen today at the flea market! Too bad I don't own an F4 yet...

Also, spotted a clean F100 with the junky 24-120 f/3.5-5.6D on it. I asked the seller how much, without blinking he said $500! I laughed at him! He said the lens is a $1300 lens! I told him nope, not this one. The 24-120 f/4 VRII is a $1200 lens new, this lens was discontinued in 2003 and goes for $100-$150 in excellent condition. He started to argue, I simply said, search a little more before you try and rob someone...

I wouldn't mind picking up a second F100 body, but not from an obvious sheister like this guy.

I'd love to try out a camera like that. what are the operating costs?

The F4, F100 or just a pro film SLR in general? An F4 body goes for about $150 these days in obvious used condition. The F100 can vary greatly in price because it was made up until a short while ago so can be found in like new condition for about $350 and older used starting around $100. The F100 is about the best bang for the buck in Nikon film SLR's I feel, the F4 is probably the most favorite film body around, especially for the price compared to newer models.

Film is film, starts around $2/roll and development usually runs around $4. Prints is where the cost is. I normally don't get prints, I just get development and a CD, which at my local pro lab only costs me about $7 total. I will then print only the ones I like or am going to send to a show. I like the CD because it's a second form of back up than can easily be duplicated onto a hard drive as another level of back up beyond just negatives.

Top Bottom