What's new

Incoming!

Fail wrong post.

So, I really like the camera. It's awesome. Takes great shots.

However, the lens isn't ideal. I like to get really close to my subject. Should I opt for a close-up lens attachment or spring for another lens? If so, what type would be best for "macro" type shots where I can keep the camera right on top of the subject --- around 6" away.

View attachment 429775View attachment 429776View attachment 429777 $sotd3x.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm catching on pretty quick. I love how easily accessible all the essential settings are - aperature, shutter speed, iso, white balance. I don't even have to take my eye out of the viewfinder.

Sounds great!

Nikon calls their macro lenses "micro" but the 60/2.8 micro nikkor is a great lens, as is the 105/2.8. Also, don't forget you can step back and use a long zoom or tele which will compress a scene and increase depth of field. No need to be right on top of your subject.

-X

Legion

Staff member
That's the one I have. It is quite a rare and collectable lens. They didn't make it for very long before going to the 60mm, but it is regarded as one of the sharpest they ever made.

Legion

Staff member
Cool score today. A new Manfrotto Pro field jacket. I'm super chuffed, because they were really expensive (well over $500), and Manfrotto don't make apparel any more (at those prices, I guess they were not big sellers.)

It is probably to coolest jacket I have owned. Kevlar lined, expandable pockets, hidden memory card wallets.... and it looks pretty sharp. I have a couple of their other jackets, and they are really nice as well, but this one is the keeper.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I almost forgot, in all that excitement. I was also given a nice leather half case and wrap for my Fuji. The only problem is it doesn't allow for my strap that attaches to the tripod hole. Ah... first world problems...

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Too much stuff living on the coffee table because it pretty much won't fit into my old bag.

Here is my new bag . . . OK it is from the Lowepro website and not my kit.

$Lowpro Transit 350.jpg

Received my Retina IIc back from Chris Sherlock today. It looked really good on the cosmetic side before I sent it to New Zealand, but the internals match the outside now. The shutter sounds very close at 1 second now and doesn't stick at all. Everything moves very easily including the focus and cocking lever. Best of all is the viewfinder. Wow, just wow! I stepped out 30 minutes after the sun went down in our backyard tonight and was able to align the focus patch on things. So clear. I can't wait to run a roll of film through it now that everything is adjusted. Major props to Chris for the awesome CLA.

Picked up an old Pentax KM with a K series 55mm/1.8 lens today for $10. Lens has a good coating of dust on the inner element, but no scratches on the outer elements. I think it will most likely only be a problem when shooting into the sun or maybe a bit of contrast loss. Camera works perfect and the shutter speeds sound good. It's basically a K1000 with a self-timer and a dof preview button.

Received my Retina IIc back from Chris Sherlock today. It looked really good on the cosmetic side before I sent it to New Zealand, but the internals match the outside now. The shutter sounds very close at 1 second now and doesn't stick at all. Everything moves very easily including the focus and cocking lever. Best of all is the viewfinder. Wow, just wow! I stepped out 30 minutes after the sun went down in our backyard tonight and was able to align the focus patch on things. So clear. I can't wait to run a roll of film through it now that everything is adjusted. Major props to Chris for the awesome CLA.

Picked up an old Pentax KM with a K series 55mm/1.8 lens today for $10. Lens has a good coating of dust on the inner element, but no scratches on the outer elements. I think it will most likely only be a problem when shooting into the sun or maybe a bit of contrast loss. Camera works perfect and the shutter speeds sound good. It's basically a K1000 with a self-timer and a dof preview button.

Double nice!

Bringing up an old point. I've been randomly looking at the 50 1.4. I have the 60 2.8 and it is excessively sharp ;). Love it.

What do you guys prefer? The 35 1.8 or 50 1.4?

I like 24 to 35 mm for street and general scenery photography. 11-16 is going to be rather wide for most general stuff, but this is art! I think everyone should own a 50 prime for every camera. It's probably my most used lens. Many of my cameras I have only one lens for, and it's a 50. Usually because it's an older system and lenses are scarce, or in the case of my Leica R, expensive lol!

-X

50mm on a cropped? Right now, I own 3 lenses:

Nikon 35mm 1.8g > roughly 50mm on APS-C [use this 70% of the time]
Nikon 60mm 2.8d > 90mm micro on APS-C [20%: all SOTD shots]
Nikon 70-300 VR II > 5% of the time [10%: sporting events and so on]

The 35mm is a fantastic lens. I almost returned it being the noob that I am and glad that I got it back. It's perfect for most scenarios. A 50mm 1.4D [75mm equivalent] would be a nice portrait lens. It has better bokeh compared to the 35mm right? I wonder how the optics compare.

Haven't used the 50/1.4, but I use the 50/1.8 on a crop and it makes an excellent portrait lens. I prefer to have a sharper lens and soften in post than a soft lens. The 50/1.8 is an excellent inexpensive lens, usually about $89 from KEH. Much lighter too with the smaller front element.

Maybe pick up the 35DX for cheap, it's a nice lens.. I don't really like a true 50 for portraits, the 75 on a crop is an excellent focal length though. My next is going to be the 105/2.8. Though I also use my older 70-300 for portraits too. Backing up 15-25 feet will compress the field and eliminate distortion from wide angle lenses.

I shoot 35mm film as well so I don't usually use DX lenses.

-X

Top Bottom