What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

I have accumulated over 200 soaps, many from a large gift, however, its hard to argue with Arko. My average cost/shave over the last 7 years is .229/shave. Arko comes in at .049/shave. Most of what I call tier 1 soaps start at .40/shave and go up to .75/shave. However, there are other soaps that are almost as cheap as Arko if found on sale. I have years worth of Tabac at .095/shave, Cade at .097/shave, DR Harris at .119/shave so Arko has competition. While I do enjoy a good deal, I can justify .50/shave for a great overall shaving experience just like I justify spending .70 for my morning shot of espresso.

Someone on the forum once said the most expensive soap is the soap you will never use. I have way more soaps than I will ever use so I've been giving some to wet shaving converts to help them get started. I also have 4 Grandsons that are checking the mirror daily for any hint of facial hair so I can see where a lot of the soap will be going.

How many shaves does an Arko stick last for you?

I have accumulated over 200 soaps, many from a large gift, however, its hard to argue with Arko. My average cost/shave over the last 7 years is .229/shave. Arko comes in at .049/shave. Most of what I call tier 1 soaps start at .40/shave and go up to .75/shave. However, there are other soaps that are almost as cheap as Arko if found on sale. I have years worth of Tabac at .095/shave, Cade at .097/shave, DR Harris at .119/shave so Arko has competition. While I do enjoy a good deal, I can justify .50/shave for a great overall shaving experience just like I justify spending .70 for my morning shot of espresso.

Someone on the forum once said the most expensive soap is the soap you will never use. I have way more soaps than I will ever use so I've been giving some to wet shaving converts to help them get started. I also have 4 Grandsons that are checking the mirror daily for any hint of facial hair so I can see where a lot of the soap will be going.

Have you used and analyzed the cost of MdC? I have a ton of soaps as well, but have not analyzed my cost per shave. My guess, however, is that MdC is my cheapest cost/shave by a large margin. You may have seen the thread where Marty has been using the same jar of MdC five or six times per week for over 18 months, and he's still got a ways to go...

I can’t speak for him but I use .5 grams for a 3 pass face shave/3 pass head shave. So .5g for 6 daily passes equals about 150 shaves or so.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

Makes you wonder if people even have the ability to use all the soaps they have if they lived to a 100 and shaved every day.

Have you used and analyzed the cost of MdC? I have a ton of soaps as well, but have not analyzed my cost per shave. My guess, however, is that MdC is my cheapest cost/shave by a large margin...

Cost per shave has been analyzed here on B&B. Some of the results might be surprising. Check out the 3017 threads for all the details.

Some quick estimates:

Martin de Candre original from The English Shaving company is 200g and cost $60 with shipping. Soap consumption varies from person to person. Estimating on the low end, 0.4g per shave; on the high end 1.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 60 / (200/0.4) = $0.12 per shave
High: 60 / (200/1.0) = $0.30 per shave

Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk:
114g tub from WCS costs $24 with free shipping during a sale. Estimating on the low end, 1.0g per shave; on the high end 2.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 24 / (114/1.0) = $0.211 per shave
High: 24 / (114/2.0) = $0.421 per shave

Arko:
Case of 12 x 75g sticks from Amazon is 900g and costs $14.40 with shipping. Estimating on the low end, 0.6g per shave; on the high end 1.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 14.40 / (900/0.6) = $0.0096 per shave
High: 14.40 / (900/1.0) = $0.016 per shave

Many people feel 30 cents per shave is affordable compared to the cost of coffees, gasoline, etc. Others would rather economize.

I was thinking to myself this morning what's the difference between A high-end shave soap and an inexpensive one ? I couldn't really tell the difference but that's just me. I use Mike's natural soap barbershop razor rock classic and Ive also used Spanish lather by GFT. I really enjoy Mike's natural soaps as well as the cheaper soaps. Maybe it's just because I'm frugal and can't justify spending $18-$30 on a soap. But I prefer an in expensive soap to a high-end soap. My question to you guys is which soap do you prefer more the high-end or the less expensive? Also which inexpensive soap do you think performs the best?

I would recommend you check out Stirling Soap Company. (Stirlingsoap.com) they have high quality yet inexpensive soaps. Enjoy.

Cost per shave has been analyzed here on B&B. Some of the results might be surprising. Check out the 3017 threads for all the details.

Some quick estimates:

Martin de Candre original from The English Shaving company is 200g and cost $60 with shipping. Soap consumption varies from person to person. Estimating on the low end, 0.4g per shave; on the high end 1.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 60 / (200/0.4) = $0.12 per shave
High: 60 / (200/1.0) = $0.30 per shave

Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk:
114g tub from WCS costs $24 with free shipping during a sale. Estimating on the low end, 1.0g per shave; on the high end 2.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 24 / (114/1.0) = $0.211 per shave
High: 24 / (114/2.0) = $0.421 per shave

Arko:
Case of 12 x 75g sticks from Amazon is 900g and costs $14.40 with shipping. Estimating on the low end, 0.6g per shave; on the high end 1.0g per shave. Yields:

Low: 14.40 / (900/0.6) = $0.0096 per shave
High: 14.40 / (900/1.0) = $0.016 per shave

Many people feel 30 cents per shave is affordable compared to the cost of coffees, gasoline, etc. Others would rather economize.

30 cents per shave is an outrage!

That would be like paying for tap water in a fancy bottle!

30 cents per shave is an outrage!

That would be like paying for tap water in a fancy bottle!

Just presenting the facts, Sir!

joe-f-1.png

Dusy Kabinett. A phantastic hard, triple milled soap, and 2 bars of 250 g each go for less than 20 Euro incl. shipping.

i just bought a brick of Cella and put it in my fridge.
No matter how you look at it, as long as you don't hate the smell of marzipan, Cella by the brick is the most amazing value in all of wet shaving. But, every time I go to hit the "place order" button I always chicken out.

I am so ashamed.

No matter how you look at it, as long as you don't hate the smell of marzipan, Cella by the brick is the most amazing value in all of wet shaving. But, every time I go to hit the "place order" button I always chicken out.

I am so ashamed.

I don't blame you. It kind of looks like a big block of cheese. Somewhat unsettling.

Top Bottom