What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

You were the one who said that most of your shaves only involved a single pass. If you were doing 4 pass shaves like I am, I doubt you would be getting 50 shaves from a single blade.

As you stated earlier, some shavers fall outside the 95% confidence limits of the bell curve. You are on one end of that curve; I am on the opposite end.

I said I do one pass with soap. There is no way I'm in the 5% with the finest whiskers. I really wish you would quit making declarative statements about where I am.

For me, one pass results in a shaven look, but I still can feel stubbles after one pass. Two passes are good enough. Three passes lead to a baby-smooth shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have to do two passes. One pass leaves me with sharpened stubble which I hate. So I go WTG and ATG.

It's posts like this that make me wish we were real life people who could meet in person and show each other how to make lather. I use lots of water and go from proto lather to thicker lather. It seems like every time someone says how they make lather, there is an equal and opposite way. Oh well...

(Notice I didn't mention Williams.)
Actually you DID :lol:

To reply to your question, affordabillity depends on where you live. If you live in Europe you can get Palmolive stick for 1,5€ locally, in US it get's crazy expensive. As I understand you got great availbility of Arko and Williams (I can't really get behind their scent). IF we go a bit out of dirt cheap league you got your Tabac, king of slickness

My favorites in the $10 or less range would be Ogallala, Col. Conk, Em’s Shave Place, RazoRock, and my newest discovery, Soap Dudes.

I said I do one pass with soap. There is no way I'm in the 5% with the finest whiskers. I really wish you would quit making declarative statements about where I am.

I never mentioned anything about you having the finest whiskers. You are reading things I did not write.
I just said that since you do one-pass shaves and I do four-pass shaves we are at opposite ends of the bell curve.

I never mentioned anything about you having the finest whiskers. You are reading things I did not write.
I just said that since you do one-pass shaves and I do four-pass shaves we are at opposite ends of the bell curve.

I might be wrong, but aren't you two bickering in almost every thread that both of you leave comments in?

Related to this thread it seems we have half posts about cheap soaps and other half is you beeing maried for 45years :lol: :lol: :lol: yes I do like to stirr the pot :jump:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
That would work! People who grew up during the Depression learned to make stuff last!
That was my grandfather 100%. He used the same 1917 Gillette open comb razor that was issued to him in the US Army during WWI for 60 years. I have very fond memories as a child watching him shave and explaining how to shave and maintain a DE razor. He always cleaned and dried everything after each shave. He used only one soap and did a one pass shave every day. He had a way of taking care of things so they would last, which I always attributed to the years he lived through the great depression. I still remember the stories he told of the hardships people suffered back then. However he never spoke of the two world wars he went through, except the razor that he used then and for the rest of his life. I suspect many of us that enjoy DE shaving have a similar connection to the past as I feel in my memories of him.

Not sure if anyone mentioned the What The Puck line from Razorock. 400 grams of tri-milled soap of varying scents for under $21 shipped. I just ordered a set for my leap year sabbatical bon voyage.

I tried WT P and was underwhelmed. I had expectations of a good lather, because I was happy that Razorock was finally releasing a hard soap. I find their usual croaps don't impress me very much .

While I liked the scent in the blue, At $9 a puck, while it may give you a good many shaves, I think that's just too much to pay for lathers that are just marginal, when there are so many good soaps around.

Italian barber regularly Runs a deal where you can buy all three for about $9 . At that price it is more palatable. However, I still really don't think I'm interested in wasting a whole bunch of shaves on a mediocre lather. So many of the soaps already mentioned here will give you something better, IMO.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Tcheon Fung Sing Rasozero Agrumella $5
Tcheon Fung Sing Classic Red. $11.69 for a 1000 ML brick
Soap Commander Limited Editions. $10
Razorock hard or soft soaps
Proraso green tub

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I mostly use creams but squash a puck of Williams in the bottom of the bowl to raise the level to keep the brush handle from clanging. The puck may last for years. Wish the cream would.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Ogallala is an inexpensive soap that smells great. Stirling soaps are also good and reasonably priced.

Top Bottom