What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

Arko, Cella brick, Williams Mug. I melt, mentholate, and pour Col Conk into a shave tube for a slick, convenient pre-shave cooling wash. All these soaps fit into my rotation. The Conk pre-shave gets used in more than half my shaves these days.

My more expensive soaps are, for the most part, just slightly less inexpensive soaps. The RazoRock triple milled soaps perform well in puck or stick. Proraso tubs are fine. My Palmolive stick is good.

In the US for value, you can't beat Arko in my opinion.

But I choose variety over value for my diet and grooming products.

The only choices where cost is my primary driver are utility companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
ARKO! and VDH Unscented are my Chump-Change Champs (VDH costs even less if you let them mix some stank in it).

Williams has the price point and reputation, but that lethal dose of citronella makes me wonder if that 3% of aphid in my Ancestry DNA report wasn’t a typo.

I've been at this wet shaving thing for awhile now and unfortunately or fortunately, however you look at it, I have amassed about 200 different soaps and creams. My average cost per daily shave is $.223. This ranges from .04 to .97 per shave. I consider anything under my average cost to be economical but for me there are a number of soaps that perform very well at under .10/shave including the following:

Cade
Dr. Harris
Arko
PDP
Provence Sante
Tabac
Haslinger

When I look at how much I've spent over the years, I realize how many more bass rods I could have bought if I only could have been content with the fine soaps I listed. I easily achieve BBS shaves with any of the above.

I grabbed the VDH Luxury at the store the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Arko and Palmolive are on my list to try.

RazoRock makes four soaps I love: Blue Label, Gold Label, Black Label, and Green Label. Each puck contains 3.5 oz, and they also come in stick form. They all smell wonderful, have a list of ingredients different from my other RR soaps, and perform very well--close shave, minimal irritation. I get the best results face-lathering with them, but that might just be me. I think I paid about $10 for all four, which must be one of the best bargains out there. Guys, I rarely say this, but you have to try these.

RazoRock makes four soaps I love: Blue Label, Gold Label, Black Label, and Green Label. Each puck contains 3.5 oz, and they also come in stick form. They all smell wonderful, have a list of ingredients different from my other RR soaps, and perform very well--close shave, minimal irritation. I get the best results face-lathering with them, but that might just be me. I think I paid about $10 for all four, which must be one of the best bargains out there. Guys, I rarely say this, but you have to try these.
Are these the so-called What the Puck soaps? Those are a fantastic bargain.

I have a few RR soaps that I got on sale for $1.99-$2.99.
They give me just as good of a shave as the expensive ones.
Not a good analogy, but it's like bed sheets, some may have a better
quality cotton but they all do a decent job for the purpose

Last edited:
I have no idea what is best. I have these 3. Cella (brick) , Proraso cream(2) Stirling MITA(2). I have enough now to get through this year easy. Might try some others then, but if nothing else I will restock the brick.

Are these the so-called What the Puck soaps? Those are a fantastic bargain.
Yes, they are the same soap base as WTP, just different scents. Some people did not like the WTP name.

On Black Friday, a set of four of these 100g soaps cost $8.88. At $2.22 each, that's quite a bargain for triple milled soaps, considering how long they will last. That's probably over a year's worth for a person who shaves daily.

Top Bottom