What's new

In theory, what would a perfect boar brush look like?

How much backbone should it have? Is there an ideal loft/diameter for face/bowl lathering? Is bleached vs unbleached more of a preference, or is one objectively better?

The best boar I could imagine for face lathering would have medium backbone, around 53mm loft and around a 27mm diameter. I'd also like it to be unbleached so that it doesn't eat lather as bad. Thoughts?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here is the Omega 10065 the perfect boar brush:
OMG-10065-RD_x1024.jpg

• Knot Diameter: 23 mm
  • Bristle Loft: 55 mm
  • Overall Height: 105 mm

Last edited:
I only have 4 boars but for me the Omega 10108 is king.
Knot 27mm loft 58 mm overall height 120mm
Its a beast of a brush that has great backbone and feels good on the skin.

I want Zenith to make an unbleached version of their short scrubby without the large glue bump. Their current ones have soo much backbone that they barely splay due to the short loft and high bump, but it would probably have medium backbone without that bump. Basically Zenith's answer to the Jade Omega with more density and thinner hairs.

Reactions: bjm

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have had 2 Omega boar brushes and 4 Yaqi boar brushes and have enjoyed them a lot over the years.
Boar brushes have their unique face feel and like badger and synthetics they are slightly different.
I like a fairly dense boar around 24mm knot unbleached with some back bone and broken in nicely makes for a fine lathering on the face IMO.
I try not to other think shave brushes because they mostly do well regardless and the manufactures of brushes know what their customers want and they deliver mostly good products for them and if not the customer stops buying the brand.
I like this Yaqi viper 24mm boar bristle brush. 2 minute soak and it works great in making lather, soft tips , great scrub + excellent lather painter + unbleached.
Yaqi #1 Viper 24mm boar brush (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

To me the perfect boar would be an 18mm knot, completely un-bleached, with a handle like much like the 18mm Maggard's travel synthetic.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jade.ProrasoPro.MightyMidget.3-20.640.JPG

9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

2-20-19.Mondial.Boars.Two.2.640.JPG

There are plenty of candidates. The unbleached Zeniths (@ Your Shaving), the Omega Jade. Others.

In general albeit not with the unbleached Zeniths I find lofts <57 mm better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom