What's new

In stock tobacco thread

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t know if it’s still as hard to get as it used to be but Smoking Pipes has Rattray’s Exotic Passion.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This is not a tobacco listing. It is a pipe listing. For anyone interested in Vauens, I’m pointing out this particular pipe over at TP, as it is already priced $50 off … and there is another 15% off coupon into the weekend (bringing the price under $100, which is a bargain for a Vauen white dot).

I already have this Vauen pot shape, mine is a very nice smoker, and I don’t need another one (or I would have grabbed it). So now it’s for whoever gets to the checkout first.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
There is also a Vauen smooth apple military mount white dot at TP, reduced from $155 to $106, using the FD coupon.

This is a nice, filter user friendly, white dot at a nice price.

They've got some other ones over on the sale page, but I thought this and the above pot the picks of the litter. The 15% off coupon makes for a fair deal.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Did anyone else get a cryptic email from SP about 250 tins of McClelland that they “found” and are planning on doing something “special” with.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Did anyone else get a cryptic email from SP about 250 tins of McClelland that they “found” and are planning on doing something “special” with.
I did get that email also...it was rather slim on details I thought. It was sort of like, "guess what I found" and you keep waiting for them to say how this potentially involves you and it never comes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I mentioned my opinion on FB, but I was disappointed that SP would price gouge like that. I’m pretty sure it was a consignment sale, or maybe even a misplaced box they had forgotten about, but regardless it left a bad taste in my mouth.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It worked for them...they sold pretty quick. To each their own I suppose.

I'm with Columbo. There is too much good leaf available at a reasonable price to be spending all that on a single tin. I'd rather wait and let my leaf mature. Buy a tin at $10 now and smoke it in ten or 15 years and maybe it'll smoke at $100 worth.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It worked for them...they sold pretty quick. To each their own I suppose.

I'm with Columbo. There is too much good leaf available at a reasonable price to be spending all that on a single tin. I'd rather wait and let my leaf mature. Buy a tin at $10 now and smoke it in ten or 15 years and maybe it'll smoke at $100 worth.

Taste like a hunnert bucks? Yep. Pay a hunnert bucks? Nope. It’s kinda nuts. Back when McClelland was around their tobacco was never out of stock, but FVF and St. James were. I remember grudgingly buying Blackwoods flake cause I couldn’t find FVF lol.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Taste like a hunnert bucks? Yep. Pay a hunnert bucks? Nope. It’s kinda nuts. Back when McClelland was around their tobacco was never out of stock, but FVF and St. James were. I remember grudgingly buying Blackwoods flake cause I couldn’t find FVF lol.
The guy at my local shop basically told me the same thing. He said nobody was buying McClelland Virginia’s and that they would sit on his shelves, sometimes for years. As soon as McClelland announced they were closing their doors people were getting almost violent with him because he had already sold the stock he had.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The guy at my local shop basically told me the same thing. He said nobody was buying McClelland Virginia’s and that they would sit on his shelves, sometimes for years. As soon as McClelland announced they were closing their doors people were getting almost violent with him because he had already sold the stock he had.

Discontinued items often taste, look, perform or last better than they did when in production.

It‘s almost always because of that later-discovered ingredient, part or process in them called Unobtanium.

And it’s amazing how much money people will pay for Unobtanium.

Discontinued items often taste, look, perform or last better than they did when in production.

It‘s almost always because of that later-discovered ingredient, part or process in them called Unobtanium.

And it’s amazing how much money people will pay for Unobtanium.
Chemical symbol: Uo
Atomic number and weight: higher than uranium or lower than hydrogen, depending on whether you are looking for it
Easily tarnished and chemically unstable. Rarely found in native form; ores are rumored to exist in central Antarctica, Tierra del Fuego, Gobi and Namib Deserts, Marianas Trench. Difficult to mine, as it tends to vanish from containers not made of pure platinum
Value: See atomic number and weight, above

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Chemical symbol: Uo
Atomic number and weight: higher than uranium or lower than hydrogen, depending on whether you are looking for it
Easily tarnished and chemically unstable. Rarely found in native form; ores are rumored to exist in central Antarctica, Tierra del Fuego, Gobi and Namib Deserts, Marianas Trench. Difficult to mine, as it tends to vanish from containers not made of pure platinum
Value: See atomic number and weight, above

Unobtanium is abundantly located within Shangri-La, where it flows freely in the streets, and its rising mist wafts across the sky, the perfectly glowing sun coaxing it to rainbow across the horizon in dreamy multicolor hues of heartfelt desire.

But freighters loaded with it must often then traverse across the stormy and tempestuous Bay of E, where shrewd and seasoned pilots of the Bay will navigate its rocky channels, and finally deliver this glorious, nebulous elixir to its eager, ecstatic and often financially desperate purveyors … occasionally for but a humble buy-it-now recompense, and a kind word to the others.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Unobtanium is abundantly located within Shangri-La, where it flows freely in the streets, and its rising mist wafts across the sky, the perfectly glowing sun coaxing it to rainbow across the horizon in dreamy multicolor hues of heartfelt desire.

But freighters loaded with it must often then traverse across the stormy and tempestuous Bay of E, where shrewd and seasoned pilots of the Bay will navigate its rocky channels, and finally deliver this glorious, nebulous elixir to its eager, ecstatic and often financially desperate purveyors … occasionally for but a humble buy-it-now recompense, and a kind word to the others.
In the Kingdom of Codgerdom, it is of no concern.

There's another rich vein in Brigadoon. But it only shows up for a week every 7 years. And that's the week of the International Rare Hyped Mineral Miner's convention in Weehawken.(this year's theme: Making Inefficiency Work For YOU!) The locals gather it up in orange 5 gallon buckets and burlap sacks, but current regulations prohibit them from exporting. And since it's in buckets and sacks, most reputable buyers' insurance and bylaws labels it unapproved. By this time, it's mid May and people start realizing they'd rather have the buckets and sacks, so June 1st at midnight, they all take their Unobtainium stores and empty out the receptacles over their back fence onto their neighbor's backyard. This was the origin of the term "[blend] drop".

It sounds like a pretty stupid and pointless tradition. That's probably true, like most traditions. But the whole town comes out and there's a carnival with a livestock auction and games of chance.

Top Bottom