What's new

In Search of the Perfect Cup

On my way into work this morning, I was pondering over the search for the perfect cup. I have been recently delving into different brew types, searching for grinders, and different coffee with varying levels of freshness. As I have been going through this process, I realized there is a big difference between fresh(er) coffee and stuff that comes in a can. However, I'm not entirely sure that the difference between the fresh(er) coffee I have been getting and something roasted locally for almost double the price would be 2x as good. My question is have you settled in your pursuit of the perfect cup? And was what you settled on surprising to you based on the type of coffee or brew method?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't think there is a "perfect cup" for me. I enjoy variety too much and don't like to get in a rut, even if it's with good stuff. If I were to drink the same coffee (or tea) brewed in the same manner all the time, I fear that my experience would dull over time. Variety refreshes my experience.

I've never understood how one quantifies something as "twice as good" or the like when it comes to flavor, enjoyment, or other intangible. I'm not trying to be all pedantic. My definition of and test for value is rather simple. What will I miss more: the money I'll spend or the thing I'll spend it on?

We have an excellent local roaster about a mile from our home, and they sell coffee roasted that very day for $14/lb. That's not quite twice as much per pound as I can pick up Starbucks or Peet's beans at the supermarket, and it's six or seven times the cost of ground Folger's, but I hand it right over without hesitation. It's some of the very best coffee I've ever had, and I truly enjoy every sip. They also have a wide variety of blends and single-origin coffees, so I get to try and learn about all sorts of regional characteristics. I like some more than others, but I've yet to find something I've not thoroughly enjoyed. Playing around with new coffees also helps me savor my favorites all the more.

I don't mind laying it out for good tea, either. Again, I enjoy every sip.

I have some friends that balk at the price of the coffee I buy, but then I see them go into a Starbucks and put down 2 or 3 or 4 bucks or so for a cup of . . . stuff (sometimes two or three times in a day). Compared to what they pay, mine is a very inexpensive luxury.

Some also have balked at what we paid for our espresso machine, but they sure do love coming over for coffee! Again, over time, it's been a fairly inexpensive luxury and one we've thoroughly enjoyed.

My definition of and test for value is rather simple. What will I miss more: the money I'll spend or the thing I'll spend it on?

That line is a game changer. Thank you for the detailed response. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I've settled on Costa Rican La Minita estate as my daily Joe, roasted light (385° on my Hottop roaster)

I found some small estate Panamanian that is just as nice but harder to source. La Minita is a big producer and I've never had a problem sourcing green coffee (in-roasted) from that coop.

If you are looking for 1 coffee, try this and see it hits you.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I picked up 10# of La Minita along with the Behmor, so the two may meet sooner than later.

I picked up 10# of La Minita along with the Behmor, so the two may meet sooner than later.

Good choice
proxy.php

IMO the single biggest ingredient in reaching coffee perfection is using fresh coffee. Whether you roast yourself or buy from your local roaster, it is the most important factor. It is similar to the difference between buying mass market white sliced bread as compared to buying artisan bread from the in store bakery. Meaning for example it does not matter if your favorite bread is sourdough, whole wheat, bagel, etc, just that getting a better quality of fresh bread makes a big difference in your sandwich whether it was a BLT, tuna salad, grilled cheese, etc. Similar to how it matters less what your favorite coffee brewing method is and more about the coffee freshness and its origin.

Top Bottom