What's new

In search of a unicorn (razor and blade recommendations)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Agreed. Especially if we talk about Wolfman or other high end razors that are no longer in production or have been for a limited time. The seller can definitely make an extra buck, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone new to this hobby. That's like telling someone who's new into watches to buy a Rolex as his first watch. There's also no guarantee that any of those razors are going to be perfect for everyone. I'm sure they shave very well, but are they going to beat the much cheaper ones that I have is hard to say. Besides, he can always get a more premium razor after some time. The fact that I see lots of people selling their high end razors means that they ain't all that perfect.
Your last point is a good one. I just think that the OP really needs high efficiency (1 shave/week) combined with skin-friendly engineering. IMHO, that’s where a Wolfman WR2 and the Blackbird really shine brightly in the razor firmament.

Soaps: Proraso Green and Cella Aloe Vera. Preshaves: Proraso Green Pre Shave and the PAA Cube. I usually take a hot shower before I Shave, or at minimum, wash my face and beard with warm water and the PAA Cube. I've got my eye on some formula CK-6 CAD at PAA.
Try
After shower or wet face rub the cube lay down with a hot towel on face, lather up normally wait at least a minute and shave.
I like the paa soaps and some others more as proraso or cella (which I used too for some time) had lousy results with proraso pre shave cream.
Proraso exceptions wood and spice and red do better.

This forum will tend to lean towards some high end razors, and there is nothing wrong with that. My Blackbird is one of my favorites. I also have a Wolfman which is another great choice. My point is, dont be afraid to look into some less expensive choices.
My Merkur 39c is top notch in my den for performance, smoothness and overall efficiency. Just this morning it destroyed 6 days of course white hair with very sensitive skin beneath it without even a hint of irritation.

I've read the R41 is a very aggressive razor. Is this not your experience?
If you mean with aggressive efficient then yes it is. It will also mow down a week of stubble quickly and without any fuss - especially with a sharp blade. Thus fewer passes and less irritations. I wouldn’t recommend it as a daily driver but once a week shouldn’t be a problem.

Soaps: Proraso Green and Cella Aloe Vera. Preshaves: Proraso Green Pre Shave and the PAA Cube. I usually take a hot shower before I Shave, or at minimum, wash my face and beard with warm water and the PAA Cube. I've got my eye on some formula CK-6 CAD at PAA.

That sounds like good prep and software to me. But you have to be careful with mentholated stuff, which will numb any instant pain and perhaps let you get a little too “fast and loose” if you know what I mean.

There’s an eBay seller that goes by techichi_shave that sells awesome vintage stuff. Everything is cleaned, sanitized, and well photographed and his prices are very fair. I have purchased four separate razors from him that have cost less than $100 combined, which are all awesome in their own regard, while being a little different from one another.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
That sounds like good prep and software to me. But you have to be careful with mentholated stuff, which will numb any instant pain and perhaps let you get a little too “fast and loose” if you know what I mean.

There’s an eBay seller that goes by techichi_shave that sells awesome vintage stuff. Everything is cleaned, sanitized, and well photographed and his prices are very fair. I have purchased four separate razors from him that have cost less than $100 combined, which are all awesome in their own regard, while being a little different from one another.
I’ve gotten a couple from him over the years as well.

May I suggest a GEM Micromatic Open Comb SE razor? You can find them in great condition for $30 or so online. I have no problem with making short work of three or more days of stubble with this razor without any skin irritation. Apologies if someone else has already mentioned this.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I've gotta admit, I've already stepped down this road a little a bit, although not as far a Wolfman or a timeless. I will admit, however, that the Timeless .68 OC looks like an amazing razor that I would be very interested to try.
Timeless offers dual comb base plates as well. In either the .68 or .95. My thoughts would be a .68 SB/OC. Efficient and as gentle as a kitten.

If you have sensitive skin under all that beard, that Rockwell 6S is the razor you want. If that one week of beard needs more oomph, I suggest you get something like a Parker Semi Slant or Open Comb razor to mow down the first pass and then continue with the Rockwell 6S.

Timeless offers dual comb base plates as well. In either the .68 or .95. My thoughts would be a .68 SB/OC. Efficient and as gentle as a kitten.

I just found a used Timeless .68 OC for a great price. Not the dual-comb, but I went for it - why not. If I don't like it, I can sell it. It seemed worth a try especially since I don't really want a collection as much as a great razor. I can do a touch-up and final pass with my Rockwell 6C if necessary.

Until it arrives, I'll be using my 6C and experimenting with blades. Astra SP is my next go, then perhaps Gilette Nacets.

Last edited:
I have an MMOC and an iKon B1 OSS (CC/OC) combo head that I'll loan out, if you want to try them. If you have a handle you like, I'll just send the OSS head, if not I'll drop one in, along with a few different blades. IMO, the Micromatic only runs on Gem PTFEs, so single selection there. :001_smile
Shoot me a pm, if you want. All my razors get a Barbicide dunk after use, as part of cleaning.

I just found a used Timeless .68 OC for a great price. Not the dual-comb, but I went for it - why not. If I don't like it, I can sell it. It seemed worth a try especially since I don't really want a collection as much as a great razor. I can do a touch-up and final pass with my Rockwell 6C if necessary.

Until it arrives, I'll be using my 6C and experimenting with blades. Astra SP is my next go, then perhaps Gilette Nacets.

If you're after a dual comb razor, you can check out the Razorock Lupo DC. One side is OC .72 and the other one is SB .95, which is ''kinda'' similar to the Timeless dual comb, but more limited. The ss Lupo is also a new razor and so far most people love it and I also have the dual comb version on it's way.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef

Congratulations on adding a terrific razor to your den. My Timeless .68 SB is the razor I reach for most often. You can always add any base plates later. Looking forward to hearing how the shaves go.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As I believe @BudgetShaverGuy stated, it's tough to beat the old timey Gillette NEW Long Comb. I have a face that is sometimes sensitive, but I could use it (and have) daily with no problems.

I think everything Gillette did after this razor was just not as good.

And Astra SS are kinder to my incredibly handsome face than the Astra SP. But the absolutely best blade for me is the Gillette Silver Blue.

I also want to hit on something @Blackland Razors said: try shaving 2x a week. It helped me.

As I believe @BudgetShaverGuy stated, it's tough to beat the old timey Gillette NEW Long Comb. I have a face that is sometimes sensitive, but I could use it (and have) daily with no problems.

I think everything Gillette did after this razor was just not as good.

And Astra SS are kinder to my incredibly handsome face than the Astra SP. But the absolutely best blade for me is the Gillette Silver Blue.

I also want to hit on something @Blackland Razors said: try shaving 2x a week. It helped me.

As my technique improves and I find the right razor/blade combo, I am hopeful that I will be shaving more often. My wife is hopeful as well. :001_cool:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Seriously tho: my third day without a shave my face (incredibly handsome I might add!) starts to itching. I then scratch it, sometimes like a dog chasing a flea.
My face then gets inflamed. (I'm both a Cosmetologist and an RN, so I have two licenses in my head that let me pretend I can self diagnose.)

On day four I have a choice (if my lovely War Department has left me unattended that long) : I can either put up with one more day of not shaving, or wait till day five where my irritation seems to go away.

I usually just shave because I enjoy sleeping in my bed instead of the garage.

All of the above is about half true, but this much is REALLY about as true as I get: open comb razors will tell you how good your technique is. That's all. If you sucked at shaving that day, you'll know it. And the NEW LC razor is as gentle as a mother's kiss, IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

How do you learn to do it right? By NOT doing right. And get better by learning how to not do it wrong.

That is how I made it to Carnegie Hall in the last shaving competition ever held there: by not only practicing, but by practicing CORRECTLY.

And for those of you still reading, I finished in second place, just behind an East German lady that did steroids. True story doggone!

Congrats on getting the Timeless .68 Oc. Terrific razor. Hope you have many GREAT shaves with it!!

ps— Timeless is in another league when compared to the Rockwell 6S, speaking from experience.

Top Bottom