What's new

In search of a better "edger"

Although I only have 6-7 months under my belt with DE shaving, it only took me a few shaves to determine that I shall never within my own will go back to multi-blade cartridge shaving. I do however, take what I consider to by a hybrid approach to facial hair grooming. What I mean by this is that I have an array of electric devices, as well as traditional shaving equipment; all of which are used for specific tasks. I am a man who pursues perfection, and settles for nothing less than precision in terms of squaring off my sideburns, nape, and especially the edges of my goatee; before the lather and blade come into play. My main arsenal consists of an Oster Model 10 for haircuts, an Oster T-Finisher for edgework, and an electric beard trimmer to maintain goatee hair length, and foil razor heads to get as close as possible on the back of my neck, as well as the small area between the goalposts and soul patch of my goatee. Haircuts are done every 2 weeks, and are either done with my 000 blade (0.5mm), or my #1 blade (2.4mm), while the goatee is trimmed to 5mm length at the same interval.

What I have found is that the foil heads are perfect for the back of my neck, and do well enough for the inside lines of my goatee, but leave a bit to be desired on the bottom edge of the sideburns, as well as the outside perimeter of the goatee. After trying to get good edges in these areas with my safety razor, I just have not been able to produce consistent results. Sooooo, I have reverted to the backside of a (gulp) fusion head that I have from days past to do the shaving in these areas. Although it works quite well for my agenda of laser cut lines that would make Tony Stark jealous, I would like to find an alternative to achieve the same result; perhaps something more traditional (and less $$ than $4 per blade) What I have found is that the head of the safety razor is simply too large and clunky for such precise work, and the small foil head gets it pretty close, but leaves a few stubborn hairs, and still needs to be gone over once with a blade to be smooth.

I have tried a Feather Artist Club SS straight handle, but have yet to find a way to be as precise with it around the edges as I am the the darn fusion. I either leave a few stragglers, or remove part of the goalpost, which drives me up the wall. Having a chunk missing from one's sculpted facial hair is much alike a dented up Ferrari in my eyes.

So, on to my question. Is there anyone out there that is in the same ballpark as me with the level of anality in terms of manscaping? If so, what are your tools of choice for precision edge work?

What safety razor do you use?

Safety bar razors are nice for not notching into your lines. A Gillette Tech has a small head that is easy to get in tight places. Schick Injectors are even better at it.

OCs can be really nice if you do want to change a line, but will also take to much if you're not careful. For OCs I like an OLD Type or Schick C-1 Repeater.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Feather blades. I think it is an angle thing, as the straight blade on the backside of the fusion head allows me to stand the razor up to almost 90 degrees, giving me better visibility. Obviously, such angles cannot be had with any safety razor.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Feather blades. I think it is an angle thing, as the straight blade on the backside of the fusion head allows me to stand the razor up to almost 90 degrees, giving me better visibility. Obviously, such angles cannot be had with any safety razor.
I mix between my slim to get the top of the cheeks on an agrressive setting but in truth I also have a ball end Gillette tech and it's a damn fine DE for getting precision involved as well more so than the slim. I often will use an Atra cart as well but since getting my tech, I am thinking Atra will no longer be needed unless I travel. The other thing I got recently but have yet to try is a Colonial General single edge razor. I think those will be the most ideal for a beard that requires precision as mine does.

Top Bottom