What's new

In praise of Virginia Sheng

I got a box of 12 knots from VS yesterday. This is the post bloom pic of the 220mms silvertip.

proxy.php

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. This knot was amazing. It shed about 3 hairs as would be expected, but it was like a fluffy cloud laying mounds of lather on my face. If you are looking for a low cost option, don't feel like you are getting lesser quality with VS.

Nice brushes. I've tried their finest and quite like them, think i'll give their silvertips a try too.

What make/model is the small handled brush on the left?

I too really enjoy VS knots, the 2-band pure is a bit too scritchy, but the finest and silvertip knots are great. The Super knots are a little scritchy but tolerable. Overall, the best value in knots right now and I have a strong suspicion that many WSP knots are manufactured by VS, but I have no evidence other than similarity of appearance and performance.

Where are these found please?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/virginiasheng/m.html?item=151083281315&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

They look good, were you able to order a mixed box?

cheers.

B

Yes, I bought a package of 6 boars, and then individually a 22mm silvertip, a 25mm finest, a 28mm finest and a 20mm synthetic. I guess that's just 10, lol.

I too really enjoy VS knots, the 2-band pure is a bit too scritchy, but the finest and silvertip knots are great. The Super knots are a little scritchy but tolerable. Overall, the best value in knots right now and I have a strong suspicion that many WSP knots are manufactured by VS, but I have no evidence other than similarity of appearance and performance.

I have a finest (2 band) 24mm VS in my Rubberset 400 and I detect zero scritch. It's pretty similar to the silvertip in that regard. It may be that part of the tradeoff for the low prices is somewhat inconsistent quality. SO far I am 2 for 2 on great knots, I will let you know about the others in this package over the next couple of weeks as I have opportunity to try them.

I have a finest (2 band) 24mm VS in my Rubberset 400 and I detect zero scritch. It's pretty similar to the silvertip in that regard. It may be that part of the tradeoff for the low prices is somewhat inconsistent quality. SO far I am 2 for 2 on great knots, I will let you know about the others in this package over the next couple of weeks as I have opportunity to try them.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the 2band finest are amazing, but they also offer a 2-band pure which was recently released. I believe that the 2-band pure is an untreated version of the finest knots which has bleached tips.

Here are some pics of lathers using stirling. They are 25mm and 28mm Finest and a 20mm boar. All made great Lather quickly and had good flow through. The Finest definitely have more backbone and a little more scrub than the silvertip, but are still luxuriously soft.

The Boar will need to break in before I give a final verdict. It's got a long way to break in to be a great brush. But they were 6 for 12 bucks and my goal was to make the brushes presentable for display. The Boar I got from TGN was definitely more usable from first use than this, but it cost 5 times as much too.

$SANY0179.jpg$SANY0180.jpg$SANY0181.jpgView attachment 401370

The little guy on the end has its vintage knot reinserted as it is more of a novelty to me.

Attachments

• $SANY0182.jpg
    $SANY0182.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 402
I am in the process of sorting out a few brushes to be restored, one lot includes the Duble Duck top part but no bottom part I will have to get creative to have a usable brush!

@Boaz, Hi, I'm Kristin new to forums :) I hope you don't mind me asking about your double duck handle. you siad you have the top part but are missing the bottom. Did it break off? was a seperate componant and got lost/disappered sometime before now. The top part what is the material? I'm assuming that it's plastic/bakelight something in that order - yes? So you need to go to a brush maker for a new bottom. Are there other resources to get another one "for parts". Thanks for your help, Kristin

@Boaz, Hi, I'm Kristin new to forums :) I hope you don't mind me asking about your double duck handle. you siad you have the top part but are missing the bottom. Did it break off? was a seperate componant and got lost/disappered sometime before now. The top part what is the material? I'm assuming that it's plastic/bakelight something in that order - yes? So you need to go to a brush maker for a new bottom. Are there other resources to get another one "for parts". Thanks for your help, Kristin

Hi Kristin, I don't want to clog up someone else's thread, but I am getting some brushes in a lot which includes the top part only of the same brush as above., once I have it I can assess its condition and decide on a course of action.

Cheers.

Thanks duderubble

I'm fascinated to know how it came off too. The two parts are made of the same plastic in two colors on mine and seem to be permanently bonded.

Ok as long as you don't mind, I'm still waiting for the lot to be shipped so this is cropped from the FS post.

proxy.php

it looks as though is has been broken off at the join, not much else can be deduced at the moment. Once I have it I will make sure I have a close look and post again here if you like?

cheers.

Top Bottom