What's new

In Praise of the Merkur Progress...

Decided to experiment with the Progress today!

On Tuesday I used it for a 48-hour beard, loaded with a new Personna Lab Blue blade. Great shave. So, on an impulse, I moved the Progress into the rotation again -- but this time, instead of setting it at 3 - 2 - 1 for my passes, I opened it up to 4 -3 -2! I kept all the other variables the same, i.e., shower, same blade (though now with 1 shave on it), same Stirling soap, same 3 minutes' wait after applying the lather. And . . .

. . . the Progress brought me even closer to BBS than usual. No irritation. I'm aware that I have shaved, yes, but in a "Man, I feel clean!" way. Setting 4 really mowed down the growth, and the other 2 settings finished the job. Even setting 3 on the lower lip, my weak spot for nicks, caused no trouble at all.

Perhaps my technique has advanced; maybe it's the razor. But I can't help but be impressed.

I, too, recently tried a more aggressive approach (4-3-3 in my case) with the Progress and I'm getting really great shaves with this tool.

I like mine a lot, but it's slippery as hell for me. I wrap a rubber band around the handle. It's been great for me as a new guy so you can learn your aggression needs very quickly. I'd also get the long handle if I were doing it again, but I still love it.

I was going to enthuse about my results with setting the Progress up to 4, 3, 2 -- but I see I did exactly that 12 days ago. Today's shave was just the same. Applause for the Merkur engineers and for the Personna people's Lab Blue blade.

I've been using the Progress once every 14 days since my last post, and have had terrific shaves. This week I shaved with it twice, both times on 24-hour beards: the first time with Stirling Texas on Fire soap and settings 3 and 2 (the mildest on my razor); the second today with TOBS Peppermint cream, and leaving the razor set at 2. Even at its mildest the Progress does a fantastic job. If I had no other razors, I suspect I'd be quite content with this one.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I love my long handled Merkur Progress.
I love it even more than my 2011 R41 Grande.
Except for 1 Big Ben blade where the shave sucked every shave with every blade has been really great. I usually shave once a day but 2 times now and then.
I have settled on a setting of 1.5.

Top Bottom