What's new

In praise of the lowly Gem...

Update on the Gem adventure . . .
G-bar seemed a bit harsh to me. Could be my technique; I will revisit at a later date.
Safety-bar Micromatic is a definite keeper. Wonderful shave, zero irritation. I used the same blade from the G-bar, still the drugstore Gem blades. Seems bullet-proof as well. I really don't understand why this one is less appreciated than the G-bar. YMMV, I suppose.
Feather-weight hasn't arrived yet.
It's frustrating that there isn't much history to be found on these razors. If anyone comes across some resources, please share them!

How old are the GEM Micromatics? Anyone know the date ranges they were made?

I bought a TTO Micromatic Clogpruf a while back but don't have blades yet. I'm going to have to try it now after reading this thread. The razor has patent or model numbers on it (I don't have it here in front of me) but I haven't found out how to date it yet.

I probably just had the smoothest most irritation free shave since i've started wetshaving, I def like this more than my aristocrat or SS. G-Bar FTW

I just picked up two GEMs, and open comb micromatic and a newer one, with a black rubber handle and pushbutton open/close. The open comb gave a pretty close shave, but also yielded quite a bit of blood and razor burn. However, the pushbutton model gave me the closest shave I ever had--I was able to skip shaving the next day, even! Aside from a couple of nicks, I'm very impressed. I found it relatively mild and easy to get the right blade angle.

Update on the Gem adventure . . .
G-bar seemed a bit harsh to me. Could be my technique; I will revisit at a later date.
Safety-bar Micromatic is a definite keeper. Wonderful shave, zero irritation. I used the same blade from the G-bar, still the drugstore Gem blades. Seems bullet-proof as well. I really don't understand why this one is less appreciated than the G-bar. YMMV, I suppose.
Feather-weight hasn't arrived yet.
It's frustrating that there isn't much history to be found on these razors. If anyone comes across some resources, please share them!

jerry riechard (formerlly an employee of the kampfe bros.) started the gem cutlery co. in 1898, which was renamed the gem safety razor co. in 1900. he would then spawn the yankee safety razor co. in 1903, which would be renamed ever ready in 1905 and in 1906 gem and ever ready would merge, with ever ready incorporating as the american safety razor co. , which still exists today.

as with all time periods, different razors copied heavily off of each other; gem, ever ready, star, treet all have similar looking razors from the 1912 pat. era, as does gillette and its competitors years later.

ps - first post! :biggrin:

I bought a Micromatic from the antique store and at first I got some nicks. But now I love this razor. Easy to clean and easy to use. Not bad for a rookie

I just got a GEM as a surprise bonus from another member when I bought an Injector from him, and after searching for and reading some less-than-complimentary words about them in other threads it was nice to read this one. It's stamped "1912" and has a decorative engraving running the length of the handle but I'm not sure how to identify it further.

I went to CVS last night to look for blades and found some made by a company called Treet, but they looked unnervingly like box-cutter blades so I didn't pull the trigger on them. Can someone confirm that they are actually made for shaving?

The Treet blades at the CVS are for shaving and are not that bad. I have used them in several GEMs. A 1901 GEM Jr Lather Catcher, several 1912 GEM & GEM Jr razors, a Micromatic, and even a 1924 Ever Ready. Found the blade to be okay, GEM Blue Star blades are better. But in any case neither blade was good for more than 2 shaves.

Thanks to the advice from all of you, I now own a Micromatic Bullseye Safety Bar Bullet End, Pushbutton Safety Bar, and a 1912 Junior all brass. I will be getting an Ever Ready 1912. I am very happy with the shaves the GEMs provide and hope to eventually acquire a G-Bar.

Thank you,

Richard

I just read this thread for the first time today, 2/6/09. It began 6/23/07 and it contains Dave's first post. Since that time, 1,640 posts later, he has introduced so many of us to the design wonders produced by Gem and EverReady and in general, single edge shaving. I for one love these razors and the shaves they give. How beautiful are these? The Ivory handled beauty is courtesy of Ray's beautiful entry on the 1911 Rib Back Gem Jr and the 1908 Ever Ready which follows is courtesy of Dave. Enjoy!

I found this thread several months ago, and it started this continuing odyssey. What is this Gem, of which they speak? I must have one, and just like potato chips, you can't have just one. :wink: Without threads like this and others, along with answers from Dave, Tom, Bryce and many others, I would be even more clueless than I am. So thanks one and all, and to quote the 'Dead, "What a long, strange trip it's been". And will continue to be. :biggrin:

I occasionally go back the the DE and even more rarely an injector razor and it doesn't take me long to regret the change it seems. I've never gotten a good shave from the injectors I've used. Add to that they can be very unforgiving. I have gotten good shaves from DEs now and some of them can be very forgiving indeed. My issue with the DE is largely that unless I do extensive prepping which I don't always have the time for my shave quality suffers dramatically. Also there is the matter of blade wear. When a DE blade goes bad it instantly seems to start shredding your skin. Also I find that when I shave with a DE for an extended period of time my SE technique suffers and I have to relearn the razor when I come back. I still like the DE--some of them--but the SE given the right technique is a dream shave. I'll be going back to mine next time I shave and it will probably be a while before I pick up a DE again. You guys that are reading this and wondering whether or not you should give it a go the answer is a resounding yes!!

I've become a real fan of SE's. I've just used an open comb Micromatic that came with a large lot of razors, and it gives me a two pass DFS with no trouble at all. For some reason I've left the Micromatic for second to last and it's a great razor. I still have a lather-cather to try.

What a surprise the SE's are.

Top Bottom