What's new

In praise of the lowly Gem...

I've come to the defense of Gem razors in a couple of other threads and just thought I would open my own regarding them. The single edge razors with the possible exception of the Gem G Bar pretty much reside in the shadow of the DE razors and it's a bit unfair. My attention was first drawn to the Gem razors when I read Michael's (Leisureguy) entry in his blog about the experience of shaving with a G Bar. He said it gave him a grand shave and the design of the razor even facilitated a nice irritation free ATG pass. Looking at the pictures of it I thought even then that it was a smart looking razor and I resolved to go a-shopping for one. I also read somewhere that due to blade characteristics the single edge razor was as close to a straight razor shave as you could get. It made sense and I decided to go on the hunt.
I found my first G Bar rather quickly and it shaved like nobody's business. No nicks and no irritation. Prior to that only my trusty Regent Tech had managed that feat. I was impressed and I went looking for more. About this time I started hearing about the Gem Micromatic and the bad press it seems to inevitably attract. Because of that I dismissed it out of hand and for a long time I passed over the Micro thinking it an inferior razor somehow flawed in its design. This was a mistake. In my continuing quest for another G Bar I bought one as part of a Gem three pack from my good friend Alfred (Barbarosa). I made some offhand remark about having the paramedics on standby in case I decided to shave with the Micro. Alfred messaged me back and told me to give the Micro a chance and that I might be surprised. Well I did and I was blown away by the quality of the shave. It was an open comb Micro too so I had the pleasure of it "singing" while the whiskers were shorn. My Regent Tech also does this and I confess it's a quality about the open combs I really like. I am now convinced that everyone that has had a bad experience with the Micro or any of the other Gem razors-barring any physical damage to the razor itself-is simply not holding them correctly assuming that your face is properly prepped of course.
You hold these razors almost but not quite flat against the skin. It should just barely graze the skin as you move it along your face. Due to the head geometry the angle of the blade relative to the face is very close to that of a straight as it relates to the face. The head design takes a wee bit of getting used to but it is not overly daunting. Take your time-you're not supposed to be in a hurry anyway-and you'll get used to it. The blades are the regular box cutter single edge blades but you might want to shop around for ones that are teflon or platinum coated otherwise you may have an untreated blade rusting away in your Gem.
The Ever Readys are their English equivalent. Doubtless there are other quality brands out there too. You've probably seen some of those early Gems that look a bit like mediaeval instrumants of torture-you know kind of scary looking. Well, the head is on the same angle and they shave every bit as well as the modern versions.
The good news is these razors are plentiful on Ebay and still going for affordable prices. They clean up a treat and they are a joy to shave with. I'll never not have at least one Gem in the rotation. In fact I went one week using nothing but Gems and not a weeper in sight.
My advice is to give these single edge oddities a try if you haven't already especially the much maligned Micromatic. Give them a try and you'll soon realise that the bad press is wholly undeserved.

Lately I've been really using my Gems, both a G-love and a Micromatic, and loving them. I love the sound of the single edge cutting thru each beard hair. I love how wickedly sharp they, but in contrast with my Feather str8t, they are easy to use without cutting myself. A light touch, and a few passes, and I've got me an awesome shave. It's strange, because the same Micromatic that I initially hated is now quite nice, almost as nice as the G-Love.

It just shows how as your technique evolves, razors that don't work or are too aggressive become manageable and then quite nice.

Here's to these GEMS!

I have a few Gems. I love the Featherweight. It was easy to learn and it gives great results. I have had trouble with the Micromatic but I'm not ready to give it up just yet. I agree with Mark that these razors deserve a little more respect. Anyone who wants some variety in their shaving should give 'em a try.

I just won a couple Gems on eBay, one Micromatic and one I think I've seen called a G-bar. Crummy pics on the auction site, but I'm looking forward to trying them. Here's a pic by the seller:

proxy.php

Blades of choice seem to be from Ted Pella. Any advice before I try these?

I just won a couple Gems on eBay, one Micromatic and one I think I've seen called a G-bar. Crummy pics on the auction site, but I'm looking forward to trying them. Here's a pic by the seller:

proxy.php

Blades of choice seem to be from Ted Pella. Any advice before I try these?

I have both of the GEMs pictured: the open-comb is the Micromatic (TTO), and the bar-guard is he G-Bar (flip-top). My bias toward open-comb razors notwithstanding, I preferred the shave I got from the Micromatic, to that of the G-Bar. WRT blades: I've used both Ted Pella and GEM blades -- both are fine. As with all things, YMMV.

Good skin/beard prep is essential; so is being methodical and deliberate. Give 'em a good cleaning, and go for it.

Smooth shaving!

I have both of the GEMs pictured: the open-comb is the Micromatic (TTO), and the bar-guard is he G-Bar (flip-top). My bias toward open-comb razors notwithstanding, I preferred the shave I got from the Micromatic, to that of the G-Bar. WRT blades: I've used both Ted Pella and GEM blades -- both are fine. As with all things, YMMV.

Good skin/beard prep is essential; so is being methodical and deliberate. Give 'em a good cleaning, and go for it.

Smooth shaving!

Here, here! JB your Gem experience is the opposite of many as most prefer the G bar. That's interesting. I love 'em all.

Here are photos of the GEMs I won in an eBay auction earlier this week:

proxy.php

The Micromatic has quite a bit of plating wear and the handle is kind of rough, but it seems usable.

proxy.php

The G-bar is really clean, with only a bit of plating wear on one corner of the top.

When I get up the nerve for my first GEM shave, I'll post my impressions.

I just got a GEM as a surprise bonus from another member when I bought an Injector from him, and after searching for and reading some less-than-complimentary words about them in other threads it was nice to read this one. It's stamped "1912" and has a decorative engraving running the length of the handle but I'm not sure how to identify it further.

I went to CVS last night to look for blades and found some made by a company called Treet, but they looked unnervingly like box-cutter blades so I didn't pull the trigger on them. Can someone confirm that they are actually made for shaving?

I just got a GEM as a surprise bonus from another member when I bought an Injector from him, and after searching for and reading some less-than-complimentary words about them in other threads it was nice to read this one. It's stamped "1912" and has a decorative engraving running the length of the handle but I'm not sure how to identify it further.

I went to CVS last night to look for blades and found some made by a company called Treet, but they looked unnervingly like box-cutter blades so I didn't pull the trigger on them. Can someone confirm that they are actually made for shaving?

Yes they are made for shaving. They are coated. Your boxcutters aren't.

Here are photos of the GEMs I won in an eBay auction earlier this week:

proxy.php

The Micromatic has quite a bit of plating wear and the handle is kind of rough, but it seems usable.

proxy.php

The G-bar is really clean, with only a bit of plating wear on one corner of the top.

When I get up the nerve for my first GEM shave, I'll post my impressions.

Get to shavin' Warren! Time's a wastin'

Thanks, Mark. I'll pick those up and give the GEM a go tonight. I hope it shaves as cool as it looks. :001_cool:

Just make sure you keep the head flat against your skin - otherwise you'll get a bit of a cheese-slicer effect!

Once you get the hang of them, the GEMs are very nice shavers.

The open comb is a little more aggressive, but they're good, well built razors. I also have the Ever Read and GEM minuteman, but haven't used them yet - both are new and still in the original packaging.

The Pella blades are very good and dirt cheap to boot.

I picked up a Micromatic today at an antique shop, stopped at CVS on the way home and picked up a pack of Treet blades, and cleaned the thing up. I'm planning to try it out tomorrow morning, but I see that the model I got doesn't look like the ones pictured in this thread. Mine has a different handle, and doesn't have a comb. It's like the "four of hearts" pictured in this post. Can I expect as good a shave from this razor as from the open comb version?

I picked up a Micromatic today at an antique shop, stopped at CVS on the way home and picked up a pack of Treet blades, and cleaned the thing up. I'm planning to try it out tomorrow morning, but I see that the model I got doesn't look like the ones pictured in this thread. Mine has a different handle, and doesn't have a comb. It's like the "four of hearts" pictured in this post. Can I expect as good a shave from this razor as from the open comb version?

Yes just be sure to use the proper technique outlined above.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know they have a lot of fans, but there's something about the Gems that just gives me the creeps. :eek:

Jay overcome the creep factor and enjoy one of the finest shaves EVAH!
Extremely smooth and irritation free with only 2 passes, but it is like shaving with a str8. If you do not give it the proper respect, it will bite you. As long as you pay attention it is a fantastic little shaver. Since I got the one from Mark, I now have a G BAR, a tapered Micromatic TTO, a couple of Featherweights, a NOS Junior in the box, and at least one that I have no idea what to call it. I am looking forward to trying each and everyone of them. I do not think I will make them my primary shavers, but I think there will always be one in my rotation.

Just finished my first shave with my tapered TTO Micromatic. Not bad. No more irritation than I get with any other razor (there's a spot on my neck that seems to resist all attempts at BBS, and I tend to overwork it); actually maybe a touch less. Not quite as smooth as I generally get with certain other razors, especially an injector, but I'll chalk that up to inexperience (learning the proper angle and sticking with it). That wide, flat head sure doesn't like the lather to run out underneath it! The head is nearly the same size as a regular DE, but it seems much bigger and harder to maneuver. I don't cherish the thought of keeping three different types of blades around (DE, single-edge, injector) (not that they take up a lot of space), but I will keep the Micromatic in rotation.

Jay post a picture of the unknown GEM. I may know what it is.

Bob keep on working with it. The good news is that (for me at least) the SE blades tend to hold an edge for a longer period of time.

Top Bottom