What's new

In praise of the Gillette 7 O'clock Indian Black label blades

I have a complex history with Gillette 7 O'clock blades. When I first dabbled into wet-shaving I was initially drawn to the idea from a cost savings aspect. As such, I avoided most Gillette blades out of hand. Then one day an internet vendor dropped a free blade sample of the old Gillette Blue labelled 7 o'clock blades in an order. I was hooked.

As is typical in my world as soon as I found a blade I really liked they went out of production. Luckily I had dabbled in looking at a few other 'high-end' blades and discovered Polsilvers. Between my existing supply of the Blues and my new stash of Polsilvers I had my high end urges covered. I mentioned costs savings earlier in this post and it still holds true today that I like to pinch a penny so I tend to only use my high-end blades a few times a year, and I've discovered a variety of lower costing blades that give me <almost> as enjoyable a shave as those two blades. I like this system since it gives me something to look forward to a few times a year, but I still get great shaves year-round from the other good blades in my collection.

So where do the Black labels come into this story? Well, if you are a Polsilver fan you may already know. I love them. Delightful shaves. The price isn't great but for the sole purpose of keeping a small supply for a few weeks a year, it wasn't bothering me. What started bothering me was the constant 2-3 year cycle of the 'will they won't they' of the Polsilver production history. Now, I come down on the side of the idea that somehow P&G will always have these in supply somehow, but frankly, I got tired of worrying about it. So I went looking for another blade 'just in case'.

That is how I landed on the Gillette Blacks. I had used one or two years ago when I first landed on the Blues. I remember liking them, just not quite as much as I liked the blues. I decided to revisit them, and ordered a tuck just to see. What I discovered was a sharp and efficient blade that was very comfortable. In fact, I discovered they matched up so well with my SLOC razor ( a razor I didn't own way back when I first looked at all these high-end blades ) that they provided a shave that fits my criteria for that 'high-end' feel I like to have. By the way, it's not just the SLOC they feel good in but they shine in it.

So, I've discovered a blade that makes me 98% as happy as a Polsilver or a 7 O'clock Blue ( I'm down to one single remaining blade of the Blues ... that may be my Christmas shave ). I <think> these blades are a little more secure in the supply chain as I've never seen them out of production since I got into the hobby. Just in case when I got a $10 off deal on Amazon I grabbed 100 of these Blacks for about $7 ( after savings ) so I am covered for a long time. I may never use them all up, but having them makes me happier to use my Polsilvers up at a quicker pace, so I may increase my frequency of using my higher end blades.

Before anyone says anything I know I could spend $50 and get 250 Polsilvers ( something like a 7-8 year supply of mostly every day shaves for me with their longevity ), but where's the fun in that :) ? I've also investigated many of the other P&G blades and while I found a few very nice blades ( some of which I procurred a small stock of ) they weren't quite as good all-around as the Black labels to me. And 'no' - I don't subscribe to the idea the current GSBs are relabelled 7 O'clock blues but that is another thread.

TL DR - Gillette Blacks are good blades. Almost as good as my very favorite blades in the world, but at a better price and a more secure supply chain.

Last edited:
I need to revisit the blacks. I tried them quite a while ago and thought they weren't as smooth as the Russian 7 o'clocks but it's worth reevaluating your perceptions once in a while.

I need to revisit the blacks. I tried them quite a while ago and thought they weren't as smooth as the Russian 7 o'clocks but it's worth reevaluating your perceptions once in a while.

I like a number of the Russian P&G blades. Frankly almost all of them do a fantastic job, though since I really appreciate a blade with 'smooth' face-feel over simple sharpness my preferences don't always align with the majority opinion. I also believe I'm blessed with easy to shave whiskers so sharpness isn't my number one concern. If you shop around price doesn't really make a giant difference either since I can usually find most of the Russian P&Gs at a price point I'm willing to pay.

For whatever reason, I really like the Indian Blacks the best. I'd have a hard time picking my next favorite from their line-up though. With the exception of Nacets I really like them all, and I imagine if I spent a little more time 'learning' the Nacet I'd like it more. I'm not 100% sure if I shaved with a randomly selected P&G blade I'd be able to identify it from its cousins more than 50% of the time. In fact, I'm fairly happy with the Chinese Gillette Wilkinsons in my budget blade category, and of course, both Astra blades do stellar work in that arena as well.

I tried the blacks and thought they were just okay. Funny thing is one of my favorite blades is Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp blades and if I recall they are made at the same plant as the black blade. I know you just bought some but check out the 'Bay on your next purchase you might be able to get them quite cheap. The Permasharp I ordered from a seller in India at $13 per 100, the bigger lot you buy the cheaper they are. I ordered a 200 blade lot for my friend and think they come to $11 per 100, shipping was free but see the price has gone up this year. I see my blade is on Walmart at $12 per 100 and have been determining whether to grab another 100. I have around 60 left. I have a few packs of my other favorite, Wilkinson Sword Classic, so I am set for a while.

Gillette 7 O'clock Black are currently performing very well in my BBS Stainless Steel, and while they may be a bit iffy in my other closed comb razor, they seem to be super smooth in BBS.

I've heard from another wet shaver who uses them with his 37C and gets many happy shaves.

Perhaps they tend to perform very well in (under) pressure ?

I also like Indian Blacks at their best, but I've had some real duds, as in no cutting edge at all. So I gave up on them a couple of years ago. Maybe QC has improved.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I've been away for a while. Funny I happened upon this thread. After much experimenting years ago, I bought about 800 7 O'Clock Blacks, still running through them. If you find blade testing entertaining, here is a black vs blue shave-off I started about ten years ago. Much fun was had by all.

I really like them. I got piffed about 50 from a gent on here. Liked them so much, I went and bought 100.
I have a Krona, two flare tips and a Parat. In each they perform great.
I've found certain blades perform better in certain razors, but not these.
I've tried the blues, yellows and greens.
I like the blues but they are kinda pricey.

Excellent blades and proves have gone to insane when they nearly doubled it sometime on January of this year. Even then damn cheap locally, but I've moved on to straights off late

I've been away for a while. Funny I happened upon this thread. After much experimenting years ago, I bought about 800 7 O'Clock Blacks, still running through them. If you find blade testing entertaining, here is a black vs blue shave-off I started about ten years ago. Much fun was had by all.

I remember reading that thread when I first got into shaving. I do miss the old blues :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
G7OSP's are good blades. They're one of three or four blades that really make my RazoRock Lupo come alive!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought 100pcs about 2+ years ago and have to admit they are very good. They remind me of GSB on the first shave, they are sharp and Smoooth + longevity reasonable (5-6 tossed).
Ball park photo chart how I rate them.(click on photo to enlarge)
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom