What's new

In praise of cheap brushes

:lol1::lol1: We do have Maca Root actually! In Amazon, EUR 16 (200g tub).

Great! Keep it up.

proxy.php

The two brushes I use are both fairly inexpensive. An Atomic Rocket synthetic and a black badger brush that was given to me. I prefer the feel of the black badger, but I don't use it much due to shedding. The Rocket lathers well and I like the handle, but I don't care for the feel of it as much.

Don't worry, i don't see me trying it anytime soon... I have too many products from previous purchases... So i will miss the Maca Root miracle for some more years.

The fun part is that The Body Shop Maca Root is just a brand name licensed to different cosmetics manufacturing companies in different countries. In the UK MR is made by SoapWorks, same as TOBS and others. Chris couldn't lather TOBS too. :crazy:

The fun part is that The Body Shop Maca Root is just a brand name licensed to different cosmetics manufacturing companies in different countries. In the UK MR is made by SoapWorks, same as TOBS and others. Chris couldn't lather TOBS too. :crazy:

Really? This is hilarious! :lol1:

TBS employee posts openly to customer questions on Amazon that their cream for the UK market is made in the UK by OEM, therefore it will ship fast, conform to local health regulations etc. It's not a secret, but no one really cares.

I see. Good to know! I 've used TOBS and Truefitt, which aside the fact that use the exact same container, also looked suspiciously similar. Now i know that i don't need to try Maca Root.

I see. Good to know! I 've used TOBS and Truefitt, which aside the fact that use the exact same container, also looked suspiciously similar. Now i know that i don't need to try Maca Root.

But the 0.05% Maca root extract might be just the right thing for your skin. The silver bullet that will make you look 15 years younger.

I have an Omega 10066 that cost less than $10 and is one of my favorite brushes. I have more expensive brushes--some much more so--but, honestly, I could be very happy with the Omega if that's all I had.

+1! Love my 10066. For me, its knot is as good as any of my ~10 boars (Omega, Zenith, Semogue, generic house brands)

I have a hilarious , creepy little dog boar brush that’s actually works wonderfully !! It’s funny this brush was $8 next to very expensive brushes in my rotation .

That's awesome looking. Do spooky lightning storms or other unexpected phenomena happen while you use it?

Topic: My most expensive brushes are probably boars, and elevated a bit due to gucci handles (Mondial, Zenith...). Or maybe a best badger. Cheaper synthetics are great in the home rotation and perfect for travel. My cheap definition: PAA's, Razorock Bruce, Omega, and similar.

In my comparatively limited experience cost doesn't necessarily mean better, in the YMMV sense.

I use mostly cheap brushes. Im a big fan of boar brushes, be they cheap Omegas or more expensive Semogues. Right now, my daily driver is a Semogue Owner's Club boar and its a wonderful brush. Ive got a few Omegas too: a couple Pros (one in chrome and another in red) and a beehive.
Ive got a some nicer badger brushes and some synthetics too and theyre nice but I honestly could be perfectly happy for the rest of my life with a cheap little Omega boar.

Pretty much all of my brushes are value brushes. Omega, Semogues, Yaqi, Stirling, etcs. However, I enjoy every single one of them. Recently I received a Stirling Finest 26mm badger and boy is it nice. But I also enjoy the Stirling boar brush as well. It's got a great scrub but soft tips that will not irritate my skin.

In the end, I feel that anyone can be satisfied with a cheap brush. The expensive price really comes with the artisan-made, rarity, and material. I don't discredit the expensive brushes as they have their place but cheap brushes work just fine for me and many other people.

Pretty much all of my brushes are value brushes. Omega, Semogues, Yaqi, Stirling, etcs. However, I enjoy every single one of them. Recently I received a Stirling Finest 26mm badger and boy is it nice. But I also enjoy the Stirling boar brush as well. It's got a great scrub but soft tips that will not irritate my skin.

In the end, I feel that anyone can be satisfied with a cheap brush. The expensive price really comes with the artisan-made, rarity, and material. I don't discredit the expensive brushes as they have their place but cheap brushes work just fine for me and many other people.

Absolutely agree, i could be content with a GShock or Timex but I rather have an Aquastar Deepstar or a Prospex
SBDX016.

Perhaps one day I'll feel the need to have an entire set of brushes set into machined brass, silver/gold plated stubby chess pieces. Or machines brass handles with the Crest of my namesake in them like this.
Coat-Of-Arms-Claddagh-Ring-Cropped.jpg

However, as I'm just starting out my search for the perfect brushes I'm content with the offerings I've gotten so far.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t have any expensive brushes. I have four Omegas but can get s good lather with one of those really cheap VDH brushes. I was under the impression the idea was just to get soap on your face.

I spent years acquiring relatively high cost shaving gear and I don't regret any of it. For me it has all been a part of the enjoyment of discovering the joys of traditional wet shaving. That being said, my Omega Pro 49 is as good a brush as anything I own.

Top Bottom