What's new

In Need of Enablers

Wunderbar?

Just picked up ATT 7 piece, M1, R1 and H1. M1 favorite plate so far.

Go for Wunderbar?
proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm doing just fine without one but I've got lots of vintage slants to love. Serious coinage for some of the stuff you've been getting, you probably don't need my advice.

I recently was able to acquire a Wunderbar from another B&B member that didn't care for it. I now have 4 shaves down with it and I think I can solidly say this is one excellent "heavy" quality piece of shave gear. I'm not gonna lie, the 1st shave with it didn't go so well and I "did" bleed. Every razor up to this point in my short foray into DE/SE shaving I've always wondered exactly why they say to use a light touch and now I know!! Maybe its the torqued blade that makes the difference but my 37C will be in the BST as soon as my ultrasonic cleaner arrives... I have had 3 of the closest shaves to this point with this razor. I can get just as close a shave with my aluminum General but I think it takes a little more time. The Wonderbar is 3 passes and done... If you have an opportunity to get one you should, but I will point out this razor is not for everyone!!
20170808_191432-1 (640x506).jpg

I recently was able to acquire a Wunderbar from another B&B member that didn't care for it. I now have 4 shaves down with it and I think I can solidly say this is one excellent "heavy" quality piece of shave gear. I'm not gonna lie, the 1st shave with it didn't go so well and I "did" bleed. Every razor up to this point in my short foray into DE/SE shaving I've always wondered exactly why they say to use a light touch and now I know!! Maybe its the torqued blade that makes the difference but my 37C will be in the BST as soon as my ultrasonic cleaner arrives... I have had 3 of the closest shaves to this point with this razor. I can get just as close a shave with my aluminum General but I think it takes a little more time. The Wonderbar is 3 passes and done... If you have an opportunity to get one you should, but I will point out this razor is not for everyone!!
View attachment 812156

Thanks @muzichead. I didn't exactly follow your reference to the 37 (seems like you don't love the Wunderbar but 37 is going to be sold . . .). How does it compare?

Thanks @muzichead. I didn't exactly follow your reference to the 37 (seems like you don't love the Wunderbar but 37 is going to be sold . . .). How does it compare?
Actually, I do love the Wunderbar and yes, I will be selling the 37C... The difference is the Wunderbar is torqued a lot more than the 37C. When you load a blade and put the bottom cap on the top cap and squeeze the two halves together, you can actually hear the blade being torqued. I think being torqued the blade is way more rigid in the head and just mows through my beard. To me its a night / day difference between the two, but I warn you to use a very light touch with the Wunderbar or you might pay for it like I did...

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The difference is the Wunderbar is a torqued blade and the 37C is not.

I beg to differ, the Merkur 37 and 37C have a twisted or torqued blade. Torsionhobel. It has been since before WWII, rebranded and copied and is the basis of many of the modern slant clones.

I beg to differ, the Merkur 37 and 37C have a twisted or torqued blade. Torsionhobel. It has been since before WWII, rebranded and copied and is the basis of many of the modern slant clones.
Maybe I should change what I posted then. I can tell you that the 37C is not torqued even remotely close to as much as the Wunderbar though... When I take the Wunderbar head apart I have to use my fingernail to get the blade off the top cap when taking it apart to clean.

eta... I went back and changed my previous post to reflect this...

Actually, I do love the Wunderbar and yes, I will be selling the 37C... The difference is the Wunderbar is a torqued blade and the 37C is not. When you load a blade and put the bottom cap on the top cap and squeeze the two halves together, you can actually hear the blade being torqued. I think being torqued the blade is way more rigid in the head and just mows through my beard. To me its a night / day difference between the two, but I warn you to use a very light touch with the Wunderbar or you might pay for it like I did...

Yup. Got it. Used a Futur on 6 for years. Lately mild is my new wild; there's something to be said for razors that don't bite.

Oh hell. Just pulled the trigger. Btw, the razor now comes with a titanium handle. My guess is that this likely tempers the aggressiveness, at least a little bit.

Top Bottom