What's new

In-House Ultra Shave review

Hi all,

Modern Gent offered to send me a sample of UltraShave, which I more than happily accepted. I got it today and took a whirl with it after the gym.

Overall, I am rather pleased with this product. Here goes.

The package is rather simple and has a nice pump application that squirts out just enough Ultra Shave to get the job done. The cream itself is white and has the consistency of toothpaste (Yes, I felt like I was rubbing a dollop of Crest or Colgate onto my face). It has a faint scent, but I think its best classified as "Unscented".

Per instructions, I applied it over my face as I would a lotion. I rubbed it in pretty good and then let it sit and absorb for about 30 seconds while I grabbed my Progress and a 3-shave-old Feather DE blade. With the blade dry as a bone, I hastily started my shave.

Now I wasnt sure what the rule was on applying and reapplying this stuff (I usually do 3 passes, one N-S, one S-N, one side to side). So I decided to go one-pass and to be a little ballsy and just start off against the grain (my skin handles against the grain rather well). I started hoping that there would be some lube left to do subsequent pseudopasses to clean up.

It definitely is a little weird shaving without water. I didnt feel the tingling that Corey described at all. My face was very well lubed and the whole shaving process was suprisingly good. I was taking my time (moreso then with my T&H cream because I wasnt sure if enough lube was there), and didnt feel any tugging or resistance the whole time. There was just enough lubrication left (I felt) to do a light clean-up pass.

Overall, now 30 minutes after the shave, I am very pleasantly surprised at how close this shave is. It is pretty much on par with the shave I got yesterday with my T&H Sandalwood sample. Nice and smooth, my face feels pretty well moisturized as well. I did give myself one little nick, but I'll blame it on myself rather than the cream.

I think that it is an excellent product to have in the arsenal. I forgot to mention that one of the coolest parts was washing the razor. Putting the faucet on full blast after done blasts out this pretty interesting collection of shaved hair and gel.

Pros:
  • Quick, effortless
  • Pretty damn good shave
  • You can totally see what you are shaving
  • Very convenient for travel and mornings when you just don't have time to do the whole routine.
Cons:
  • Not as relaxing or luxurious an experience
  • One application only gives you 1.5 passes before the lubrication wears away.
I will report back after a couple more uses and will gladly answer any questions.

In addition, it is my intent to share this sample (as it is pretty big) to whoever is willing to pay shipping. I'll need some suggestions on a small lightweight shipping receptacle though. I'd use some sample tubs from T&H, etc, but I dont have any empty at the moment.

Thank you Jeff for your unbiased and fair opinion. It is much appreciated.

I will be honest and say that, yes it is odd to begin with, shaving without water but I do believe that after a few shaves you do get used to it. And rinsing out the hair from the razor can become a fetish :wink: At least it doesn't stick to the side of the basin.

The faint scent is actually the grapeseed oil/grapefruit seed extract. The GSE is actually highly anti-bacterial so will kill any bacteria that get on your skin for the whole day and Ultra is an excellent moisturiser.

You do have to find the right amount of cream to apply (for you) but we feel that the 1.5ml dosage is just enough, obviously this depends on how heavy your growth is etc. Remember this is coating the hair shaft and lubricating it as well as going five layers deep into your skin.

By the way, the package you received is plain because the product has not been officially launched, even the packaging shown on Modern Gent at the moment might not be quite the finished article!

PS I still cut myself occasionally but that is just me rushing probably :biggrin:

Hey there,

After putting fence up all day on the Spit Shine Ranch...I came into the house for dinner but was greeted with cold shoulder and hot tongue from the lovely bride....

Headed straight for the shower and remembered that I haven't shaved today...had a nice growth going on...and I thought that I would try Ultra Shave....

I received it a few days ago and I tried it in a hurry. I probably didn't do something right and felt a slight stinging like the Wookie above me (what is that thing up there ?) Anyway, tonight I had plenty of time, who wants a second helping of what I faced when I came in anyway....

The dispenser does remind me of "the pump" toothpaste. It is very handy and not very big. this would be good for traveling. In the previous reviews of the product, one squirt is supposed to have the amount metered. I took that advice and spread the white paste over the entire shaving area and rubbed it in real good...hummed the Jep-ardy Final Question Theme Music and tool out the Merkur HD with a fresh Isreali "Commando" blade (bought off E-Bay) and commence to glide...ooopps...stumbled across my face....

Yes folks, I said stumble...as in drag...as in I know this is a sharp blade (I used it once yesterday) but this is like DRY shaving...but I persued on and got all the stumble off...

remember you DO NOT USE WATER with this...you shave dry and if you want to rinse you blade and wipe it off dry before the next pass...

I felt my face and thougth it felt pretty rough...

I thought, maybe I might be a 2 squirt kind of a guy and massaged another dob on my face...this time I saw the white gleem on my face...So I repeated a N-S pass...Hey happened to my razor ??? I didn't feel a thing...I was wondering if my angles was right...how come I didn't feel any hair be cut ???

Now let's go S-N...once again, I couldn't feel the blade, but I could feel the hair being surgically removed...

Hey this is starting to feel like a regular shave...

Let's try the SW-NE passess...like most of you, this is where the baby butt shave starts...under the neck and along the side of the jaw...wow..pretty good..but uh-oh I still have those problem areas that I always have...Under the left jaw and chin...Usually some Chinese Acrobatic skin pulling will do the trick as long as I don't put shave cream in the wrong place and use a wash cloth to stretch the skin good and tight...

But there is no cream in the way and I was able to stretch the skin any way I wanted it to. Call it blade buffing in the third dimension. I felt the blade on this one pass, however had I put just a tiny bit more to the face, I would have never known it was there....

I rubbed around on my face and found no stubble, no stinging and no fragrance...this is a part that I missed...Perhaps one should open up his QED Lime to inhale while using this product. No insult to Charles here, please.

Rinsed my face in warm water and then the cold rinse followed by Trumper's Coral Skin Food...Maybe I didn't have to do the Trumper's, but it's my face and I sure like the stuff...

Well it gets down to this...I have a face full of smooth..."baby butt" skin...Wonderful shave...great results...This is a very unique product. It does absolutley what it says, just to be sure you put enough on. Yes, I would recommend it. Especially for travel, camping or that son that goes away to college...Lord forbid that he is too intelligent and can not distinguish this from his toothpaste pump....I would recommend it to others to use if they want a brushless cream.

Let me go on a little further with this....I am no great shaving expert...but since January of this year, I cast my Mach 3 aside and started using a DE without looking back...I could probably never go back to a M3 because of ingrown hairs and redness that was constantly plagueing me. I started out with Taylor's and Trumper's creams and enjoyed there fragrance immediatley but the "effiacy" (that's a new word that I learned in here_ I think it means its real slick)of the shave was superior to "the can." Along came QED with his new soaps and I immediatley got hooked on them... I swear you can use a QED soap for a room freshner in a horse stall and it will make it smell like a Lime orchard in 2 minutes...

Wetshaving has become such a joy, that most of us now look forward to the next morning...No longer am I saying "oh God is it morning...It's Thank You Jesus for letting me shave another day !!! (I am not blaspheming either...I'm serious)...

As I was rubbing the Ultra shave Cream into my face, I started to hearing the voices from the ladies that I love, voices from my shaving Harem:

S...enorita M...ercedes F...edlia my exotic South American Cocobola Beauty Queen, Miss Simpson (she is not chubby, just big boned), Freulin Maxine "Mac" my German Goddess (she is the horny one), Vicki, Vanessa, and Veronica the Vulfix sisters, these girls were so heart broken as they watched me shave with out choosing one of them. They cried huge tears...I don't know where all of those tears came from...these girls seem to never run out of water.

How could I let these girls down...they probably think I turned gay...If I had never met such beauties in my life, than I wouldn't know the difference and I would have been happier than a possum eating watermelon...But these ladies are like a family to me (just wished I had a redhead in there)...

it just ain't right...there is something wrong with this...

Personally I can not give up my wetshaving routine and go strictly to Ultra Shave, but I will use it and recommend it to others....

By the way, I finished the night with a shot of Pinaud Bay Rum...maybe I will play "pirate" and become Captain Morgan and find the "winch"....

gotta go "the winch" just walked in...

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

ayyyyyeeee...me maties !!!!! where's me EYE !!!! aarrrggghhh !!!!!!

Mark - what a fantastic and really, really humorous piece of writing and much appreciated.

A couple of points I would like to make though if I may. I complete a shave without having to rinse the blade, the hair just gathers on the blade till you've finished so there's no real need to rinse the blade but I wouldn't worry TOO much about wiping the blade dry if you do, the cream is rich enough to handle that. It's just a case of finding your own favourite method. You say you saw a white gleam which you shouldn't have if the cream had been massaged in it is invisible.

I fully understand your point about the fragrance (there is a slight citrus trace from the grape seed and grapefruit seed extracts and essences) but I'm sure you can understand the reason for not including a parfum into the formulation. You're right, you don't need to rinse after, just apply a little more cream and that's it, you're done for the day.

You said about the surgical removal of hair, that is the extreme lubrication of the hair which means the blade doesn't have to do any work which will make the blade last anything up to 10 times as long, if not longer.

We're really pleased that you used Ultra and have given it a fair chance. I would love to use your review on the site if that's OK?

PS I'm really cut up about upsetting the girls, do give them my regards won't you?

Gee, I'll be famous....

Like "Air Jordan"....

The shoeshine boy's name in lights...I can see it now....

Mild manner shoeshine boy turns into the 'ULTRA SHAVER"....

Sure you can use it...don't forget to mention our forum here....If that is alright with the leaders here....

Send all royalties and residuals to my paypal account....account I'm broke...

I would like thank all the "little people" for this honor...and from now on it's MR. SHOESHINE BOY....

best regards,

mark ths shoeshine boy

That'll sure be no problem Mr Shoeshine Boy

Great headline there, I'll use it if you don't mind.

I thought I'd said about putting a link back to this thread but of course, I will, if any of the bosses have a problem with that I'd be grateful if they would let me know.

Thanks once again and keep on ultrashaving Mr Shoeshine

I've really been looking forward to trying this and thought it would be ideal for taking with me on nights away on business. The packaging is nice and the description of the product development was interesting.

Based on all of the Ultrashave reviews which I've seen, the impression that I got was that it was an easy product to use and great for sensitive skin like mine. The reality has been that I find it an uncomfortable shave yielding results nowhere near a Trumpers/Proraso combo. I've shaved a total of 8 times now with Ultrashave and unless I'm doing something really dumb, the results don't seem to be improving. I like the idea of seeing the stubble which I'm shaving and keeping it dry but it doesn't seem to soften the stubble at all and leaves my skin fairly red. Also the cream does leave you face greasy which i assume is a result of it being petroleum based. Perhaps it just doesn't suit my skin but I have found that it has failed to live up to the promise which is a shame.

I've really been looking forward to trying this and thought it would be ideal for taking with me on nights away on business. The packaging is nice and the description of the product development was interesting.

Thanks for the compliments before...

Based on all of the Ultrashave reviews which I've seen, the impression that I got was that it was an easy product to use and great for sensitive skin like mine. The reality has been that I find it an uncomfortable shave yielding results nowhere near a Trumpers/Proraso combo. I've shaved a total of 8 times now with Ultrashave and unless I'm doing something really dumb, the results don't seem to be improving. I like the idea of seeing the stubble which I'm shaving and keeping it dry but it doesn't seem to soften the stubble at all and leaves my skin fairly red. Also the cream does leave you face greasy which i assume is a result of it being petroleum based. Perhaps it just doesn't suit my skin but I have found that it has failed to live up to the promise which is a shame.

Whoaaaaaah - Hey Jembob. Forgive me but I really don't understand this. I decided to keep out of the forums but when a user says this I'm afraid I can't just let it go. Please contact me (I believe my contact details are in the member list) and we'll do our best to get you sorted. I don't know where you purchased your product but if it was from us then I'm sure you would have been in contact. Just to rectify one thing though and that is this - Ultra contains NO PETROLEUM AND IS PARABENS FREE. It was purposely formulated to be free of these and if, like you say, you liked the packaging and product development descriptions then surely you would have known these facts.

Picked up a bottle from London Drugs, in Canada. Wanted to try this for a while, but didn't want to mail order it, Paid 19.99 CDN plus tax.

Wow first I used it on my head with a Panasonic ES8228, wow, 1 pass and it was just as good as 3 with Proraso.

Next my face with a feather, Gillette President combo. Very nice, no tingling, just a smell that reminded me of butter in a bakery, very light and short lasting. Performed extremely well.

Will be my go to cream when I'm in a rush, and strictly for my head. Very impressive stuff

Top Bottom