What's new

In honor of Memorial Day

Just to clarify - I wasn’t bashing or complaining - I wasn’t aware Captain couldn’t change the title of a thread.

I just know many (including a buddy of mine in the Army) take the differences between Veterans, Memorial, and Armed Forces day very seriously and was trying to save anyone getting upset or upset at the Captain.

Just to clarify - I wasn’t bashing or complaining - I wasn’t aware Captain couldn’t change the title of a thread.

I just know many (including a buddy of mine in the Army) take the differences between Veterans, Memorial, and Armed Forces day very seriously and was trying to save anyone getting upset or upset at the Captain.

Hey, I am glad to have the help and appreciate you telling me about it - thanks! It never occurred to me that you were doing anything but helping out. And that is because of the community vibe that prevails here, compliments of the membership as well as the moderators who do a lot more behind the scenes than guys are aware. And they do this all to maintain what is a great online community.

Since I did not serve I was hoping you could identify the differences between the three holidays that your buddy quite rightly observes. I think that would let us all draw the distinctions that are so important.

I didn't think you took it that way, just didn't want anyone else to take it that way.

The way my friend told it to me:

MEMORIAL DAY: Focuses on those who gave their lives in service
VETERANS DAY: Focuses on all those who served
ARMED FORCES DAY: Focuses on those currently serving

Now, he's very respectful and understanding but when someone thanks him on Memorial Day for his service he usually says something like, "I appreciate that, however, today we really remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice".

I think the vast majority (speaking as a non-veteran myself) would agree with him- they aren't going to be offended to be acknowledged on Memorial Day, they understand where the motivation is. My friend's stance is simply he wants to politely refocus their attention on those who died.

Top Bottom