What's new

In defense of the Weishi

Rust can be seen in a positive light. At least it confirms the presence of metal!

BTW how did the canned goop, rusty blade weishi shave go ?

Have a new one sitting in my drawer. Sounds like I will be disappointed with it since I'm loving my GEM 1912!

The weishi is at the other end of the spectrum to your 1912, but thats probably why you should give it a few good goes.

Rust can be seen in a positive light. At least it confirms the presence of metal!

BTW how did the canned goop, rusty blade weishi shave go ?
Haven't done that yet. Will give it a go tomorrow, since I don't shave every day.

Canned Goo Shave

So shave #2 with the Weishi, this time using only Gillette Foamy Barbershop Clean (which I'm disappointed to learn has been discontinued; it's available in some markets with the new Foamy label and renamed Barbershop Fresh, but according to one review on Amazon, the Skin Bracer-esque scent is gone. Truly a shame, as canned goo or not, it was one of the best-smelling shaving products anywhere).

At first it was discouraging. Not as much stubble was removed as usual with pass 1. I don't know if this was because of the goo or the blade, since Personna Reds don't do that well for me anyway, and this was the second shave on it. But after pass two (careful XTG strokes) things were coming along nicely. And by the third pass, most stubble was gone. I only needed to touch up on my neck and left jawline (where my hair grows in crazy directions). I never get BBS on my neck anyway with any DE because the growth pattern is so weird. But the Weishi did okay. I'd call this a close, comfortable shave which again caused NO irritation. I used Aqua Velva Musk AS this time and there was no burn.

After two shaves, I can conclude that I like this razor more than a garden variety Superspeed. The extra heft and solidity to the Weishi makes it more enjoyable to use. The mildness was a little annoying this time around, though. What's worse is that it's not a manufacturing fault. The blade is held in this thing exactly, tightly, and securely. It is exactly where it's supposed to be in the head, which makes it such a shame. The elevation off the safety bar to my eyes is the same as a SS, as I said before, but the blade edge doesn't stick out quite as much. If it did, I'd be in love with this razor. It makes me wish I could actually luck out and score a Red Tip, then send it away and get it replated in satin chrome.

Overall I think the Weishi is a good choice for people who shave every day and are rigorous about using textbook technique. Once you're at this awhile like me, you get to a point where you play it by ear and develop your own technique, but the Weishi's mildness does not tolerate this. It demands Mantic-style short strokes, proper angle, and 3 textbook passes. The end result is perfectly good in my opinion. And especially if you have sensitive skin, you should consider trying it out.

They are well built on some levels yet all I see is negatives on here about them. Are these warranted or just the band wagon passing by I ask. I have always thought some Gillette razors that get high holy praise on here were not that smooth or aggresive such as the red tip, yet you'd be hard pressed with some to make believers. In the end it is about personal preference and keeping an open mind.

They are well built on some levels yet all I see is negatives on here about them. Are these warranted or just the band wagon passing by I ask. I have always thought some Gillette razors that get high holy praise on here were not that smooth or aggresive such as the red tip, yet you'd be hard pressed with some to make believers. In the end it is about personal preference and keeping an open mind.
There certainly is a bandwagon effect on B&B sometimes. When I first came here, boar brushes would always get an absolute hiding, for example. There was no way they could compete with badger, right? But that has changed in the last year and a half. With Weishi, it seems that there are earlier models and later models, not to mention lighter and heavier. Apparently I got a newer, heavier one. Now, it's worth mentioning that I've only used it twice. There's every possibility that it could rust, jam, or fall apart on me like many reviews have noted. And I think that if I were a newbie, I might be a little frustrated at the mildness. But as an experienced shaver now, having run the gamut of razors back and forth, I've settled into a comfortable median. I can get good, enjoyable shaves with a Knack, a Wilkinson Sword Classic, or a Lord 1822L. Canned goo is not optimal, but not as bad as I used to think, either. I love my badgers, but use a boar or synthetic brush most of the time.

When I look at the Weishi, I see a higher-quality razor than a Parker 82R and with more uniform plating than a Merkur 1904. And it's only one of 4 razors that I know of available with a satin-chrome finish. And its TTO head is bang-on in terms of design and functionality, something that, even after a redesign, Parker can't seem to achieve. At the very least, if I were to advise a newbie I'd tell them to put it on a list of razors to consider rather than to just blindly dismiss it.

I've been in touch with the factory asking them to make some new models if not for them, then for me as a private label. Their response was this is it, this is what our success has been and we will stick with it. They do make a long handle model now however.

I always thought they could wipe Parker off the map if they became creative and put out different models and aggressive designs.

Top Bottom